E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n54 vacuum lines

08-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

n54 vacuum lines

So i just did the vacuum line DIY using the veriousmotorsports 3.5 black hoses (20ft) and now i have zero boost. Any ideas on what it can be??

Clue #1 I had a ton of wastegate rattle before with the original vacuum lines and the car has 161k miles on it. Now with the new lines... i have zero rattle and make zero boost. I toss a 30FF on my 6AT when i hit the kick down or do WOT.

Clue #2 Boost on fuel for the JB4 on map5 shows 0 gas meaning no boost

Car has been FBO since it was at 45k miles, i’ve owned the car since it has 17k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
So i just did the vacuum line DIY using the veriousmotorsports 3.5 black hoses (20ft) and now i have zero boost. Any ideas on what it can be??

Clue #1 I had a ton of wastegate rattle before with the original vacuum lines and the car has 161k miles on it. Now with the new lines... i have zero rattle and make zero boost. I toss a 30FF on my 6AT when i hit the kick down or do WOT.

Clue #2 Boost on fuel for the JB4 on map5 shows 0 gas meaning no boost

Car has been FBO since it was at 45k miles, i've owned the car since it has 17k miles
You have something unplugged or in the wrong connection. Did you take the Fan out or FMIC to make more room? Charge pipe? Upper or lower? Here are a couple pics of mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
fazman681.00
      08-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
LucasAry
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You have something unplugged or in the wrong connection. Here are a couple pics of mine.
+1
Appreciate 1
fazman681.00
      08-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #4
xinxusk8
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
You have something unplugged or in the wrong connection. Did you take the Fan out or FMIC to make more room? Charge pipe? Upper or lower? Here are a couple pics of mine.
This looks good man! thanks for sharing the pics, I will be doing mine tomorrow I was wondering if you have any more tips or more pictures, how many hoses you need? size and stuff? I was thinking in buying hoses from pep boys.

Check this post out:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546560

Appreciate 1
fazman681.00
      08-19-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
you are correct, seems like my friend forgot to hook up the front boost solinoid connector. Now i have boost again and no more 30ff
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Perhaps you swapped the lines on the boost solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

On e related note.... What do those lines actually do? Clearly the ones running over the valve cover are connected to manifold vacuum, and go to the two plastic reservoirs (it makes no difference which hose is connected to which reservoir, as long as the ones coming over the head are connected to the bottom ports, and the ones to the solenoids are connected to the top ports). From the reservoirs, they go to the two vacuum solenoids mounted over the exhaust manifolds, which in turn connect to the two vacuum servos on the turbos. What do those vacuum servos actually do? Are they operating waste gates? Or something else?

There are also two smaller vacuum servos, or something, on the intake side of the engine, plugged into the intake pipe, which are plumbed into a vacuum port on the intake manifold or throttle body. What are those and what function do they serve?

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Found my own answers:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204091

An excellent description of the entire system!

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxusk8 View Post
Quote:
This looks good man! thanks for sharing the pics, I will be doing mine tomorrow I was wondering if you have any more tips or more pictures, how many hoses you need? size and stuff? I was thinking in buying hoses from pep boys.

Check this post out:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546560

I bought 20' of platinum cured line (3.5mm) from Verocious Motor sports

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...ld-by-the-Foot

Given the heat produced by the N54, I would caution you to be careful when choosing vacuum lines and what they are made out of.

To get the vacuum line on the front turbo's actuator nipple, you'll need a longe piece of copper wire. You stick this in the actuator hole and then run the vacuum line over the copper wire into the actuator nipple. A little dab of silicone based grease goes a long way here.

I don't recall what gauge to get and strip out. Maybe 16g. There is a DIY on this forum with that detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
...Clearly the ones running over the valve cover are connected to manifold vacuum, ...
Actually, those 2 lines go to the vacuum pump that is mounted between the front timing chain cover and the high pressure fuel pump. This same vacuum supply goes to the brake booster. They have to use a vacuum pump because when the engine is under boost, there is no source of vacuum at the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Can someone verbally clue me in on where the line to the rear turbo is actually going? After mine leaves the T it appears to head down and run towards the rear turbo with what appear to be some electrical wires in a gray loom. Should I pull the wires back to see where the hose goes? Also...any concerns about getting the hose off the front turbo? I can feel where it connects but most of them required cutting around the nipple with an exacto knife to get the hose to realease. I can’t do that on the front turbo and I’m wondering if I could snap the nipple on accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Quote:
Can someone verbally clue me in on where the line to the rear turbo is actually going? After mine leaves the T it appears to head down and run towards the rear turbo with what appear to be some electrical wires in a gray loom. Should I pull the wires back to see where the hose goes? Also...any concerns about getting the hose off the front turbo? I can feel where it connects but most of them required cutting around the nipple with an exacto knife to get the hose to realease. I can’t do that on the front turbo and I’m wondering if I could snap the nipple on accident.
The line goes from the T, which is of course attached to the turbo vacuum actuators, to the nipple on the rear turbo actuator.

The grey loom of wires you speak of go to the O2 sensor for bank 2 I believe.

The same holds true to the line on the right or the one closest to the front bumper.

Generally speaking, you just yank them out. Your might get a small ring of old vacuum line that didn't come off the actuator nipple. In such case, just use a small knife or blade.

The front actuator is the fun one when trying to get the new vacuum line on. There is a trick using copper wire, maybe 16g or so. There's a DIY on this forum regarding this.
Appreciate 0