E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Need glow plug removal advice

08-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #23
thebeezle
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thank you for all the feedback. Yes, the intake manifold is off.... I wasn't sure if the engine would even start with everything dissembled, let alone have it suck any foreign material in so I don't want to risk that.

I plan on working on it tonight and/or tomorrow. Will post my outcome. Plan is to leave plugs in and just replace the module. I will measure and record the resistance of each plug and see if they all match and are in spec, that's seems like a simple idea :-)

I'm sorry if I missed it in here but anti-seize on the threads? Yes or no?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #24
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I dont think repair instructions says to grease them..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #25
thebeezle
Rep

Roger that. Thank u.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #26
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

So start it up and run it for a bit and then remove them. As long as you follow the instructions.. you shouldn't have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #27
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeezle View Post
Thank you for all the feedback. Yes, the intake manifold is off.... I wasn't sure if the engine would even start with everything dissembled, let alone have it suck any foreign material in so I don't want to risk that.

I plan on working on it tonight and/or tomorrow. Will post my outcome. Plan is to leave plugs in and just replace the module. I will measure and record the resistance of each plug and see if they all match and are in spec, that's seems like a simple idea :-)

I'm sorry if I missed it in here but anti-seize on the threads? Yes or no?
I looked up the wiring diagram for the module connector and read my Glow plug resistance from there if you don't want to disturb the connectors on the Glow plugs... I did it that way because my manifold was on and access to each connector wasn't an option..

with the manifold off I would think you could follow the wire to the module connector and find a ground anywhere on the engine block
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

There is a video in Youtube about removing glow plugs, it’s by NGK I think?
It says to use a torque wrench set to undo and set it to X amount and if it doesn’t come off with that torque, try more oil etc
Worth a quick search for? (I’m not at my computer sadly)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
thebeezle
Rep

Ok, engine is back together and running and glow plug codes have disappeared with the new module :-)

I only replaced plug #2 which was one of the ones giving a fault code as it came out fairly easy.

I doused them all a few times with penetrating fluid but that did nothing as far as them coming out easy. I did not run the engine with everything apart or hit block with a torch as I'm just not that much of a risk taker.

Given the condition of #2, which I was able to remove, and the ohm meter showed it was good. I deduced the module was definitely the problem and it was.

A few other notes...

I also took this chance to remove my swirl flaps and plug them. They were pretty gunked up.

CBU did not look that bad at 56K (cleaning was done at 30K prior to me buying it) but I really couldn't see the actual valves. I thought the all the videos showed the valves pretty close in thru the ports but my ports seem to disappear back into the motor and the channels turned. I didn't have a good borescope tho. I really didn't see tons of gunk on the sides, just thin layer of soot.

I have EGR block off plates ordered but I have two remaining electrical recalls to bring the car in to the dealer for so I'll do that first and then block the EGR and send of my computer for tuning later just in case they want to give me grief.

Thanks for all of the help!
Appreciate 0