E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > FCP Euro Oil Change



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #45
2one3E90
Major
1649
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
LOL I SERIOUSLY doubt FCP is selling knockoffs. I have ordered tons of parts from them and EVERY time it has been exactly what it was supposed to be.
Knockoffs are so easy to make now. Anyone with a 3d printer can print those coil packs and make it do the suction noise when u pop it out to sound like the oem ones. And the connectors u can melt like other metals or pennies and carve it out to that shape.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc1471.50
e91Owner157.50
      08-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #46
sonofsun
Private
13
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: '11 328i X-drive E90 N51 PK53
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Bought plenty of stuff from FCP that I've installed or used in the car already. Not one part I've had was fake or threw any new code.

But I replaced 6 Bosch Black coil packs with silver Delphi coil packs. After around 20,000 miles one of the coils started throwing codes. Had it replaced for free but still paid return shipping. 2 months later one more coil threw up a code. Then I decided to replace 5 more coils and paid return shipping. It would've been better if they paid return shipping on one of the them or atleast let me use their subsidized shipping prices.

But it still was 60% cheaper than BMW stealership prices. But despite all this I still wouldn't say those Delphis were cheap Chinese parts lacking serious proof.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #47
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
1472
Rep
2,346
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one3E90 View Post
Knockoffs are so easy to make now. Anyone with a 3d printer can print those coil packs and make it do the suction noise when u pop it out to sound like the oem ones. And the connectors u can melt like other metals or pennies and carve it out to that shape.
LOL
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 2
2one3E901648.50
      08-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #48
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
1472
Rep
2,346
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofsun View Post
ÖI still wouldn't say those Delphis were cheap Chinese parts lacking serious proof.
Did they smell like Chinese food? If soófake.
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #49
BayMoWe335
Colonel
1021
Rep
2,098
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Deja vu.

That was why my last two shipments were ordered from Rockauto and RM European. Looks like my tension struts and wishbones will be too.
Yeah, seems they may ship returns occasionally. Iíve heard a lot of bad stuff about RockAuto too, so I may just go back to Tischer BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #50
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
158
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Out of the Office

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
[

I won't say too much, but he said M3 control arms from them were 100% used and didn't have the right stamp. Again, they took them back and provided others, but they shipped bad ones initially.

And I get my BMW guy owns his own shop and wants to sell parts, but I've known him 10 years and he's a stand up guy and a BMW expert. He fixed things the dealer couldn't.

They have great service, no doubt, but I do have first hand evidence they've shipped bad parts and second hand evidence an experienced mechanic won't install their parts. He will install parts from other sources he trusts, so he won't just do work if you buy his parts.
FCP wouldn't stock Genuine BMW M3 control arms. Those would come from BMW logistics directly as do the majority of genuine parts that they sell. So are you saying BMW sent you fake control arms?

Probably came from a spaceship.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:31 AM   #51
lowrydr310
Robot
722
Rep
1,383
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I wonít say too much, but he said M3 control arms from them were 100% used and didnít have the right stamp. Again, they took them back and provided others, but they shipped bad ones initially.
WAIT WHAT?

I ordered TRW M3 wishbones, and the next day it said the one side was backordered. Then a few days later I got my shipment which had one brand new TRW wishbone in a box and one BMW branded wishbone with just an opened plastic bag around it, with the M logo still intact, and a BMW part label sticker over the plastic ball joint protector. This "Genuine BMW" part shipped in the same box from the same warehouse with all my other parts that weren't genuine BMW parts.

First thing I noticed is that the BMW part looks like it was refurbished. All the casting marks are worn smooth, where the new TRW part has all the sharp castings intact. The rubber boots on the inner bushing and ball joint are brand new, and the threads on the ball joint looks brand new, it's just the casting on the arm itself looks like it was used and cleaned up.

Did BMW ever refurbish these arms? If so, is there any guarantee that they're straight?

I haven't installed them yet, but this has been bugging me and I'm going to ask for a replacement and get the correct TRW branded arm that I ordered.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 08-06-2021 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #52
Mike K
Private
Mike K's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Chicago Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
WAIT WHAT?

I ordered TRW M3 wishbones, and the next day it said the one side was backordered. Then a few days later I got my shipment which had one brand new TRW wishbone in a box and one BMW branded wishbone with just an opened plastic bag around it, with the M logo still intact, and a BMW part label sticker over the plastic ball joint protector. This "Genuine BMW" part shipped in the same box from the same warehouse with all my other parts that weren't genuine BMW parts.

First thing I noticed is that the BMW part looks like it was refurbished. All the casting marks are worn smooth, where the new TRW part has all the sharp castings intact. The rubber boots on the inner bushing and ball joint are brand new, and the threads on the ball joint looks brand new, it's just the casting on the arm itself looks like it was used and cleaned up.

Did BMW ever refurbish these arms? If so, is there any guarantee that they're straight?

I haven't installed them yet, but this has been bugging me and I'm going to ask for a replacement and get the correct TRW branded arm that I ordered.
Which supplier was this out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #53
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
5746
Rep
2,774
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think it is more likely to get returned items from shitty customers who put fake parts back in the box than actual fake parts from FCP. Anything is possible though. You can't even buy oil filters at walmart now without checking to make sure some asshole didn't put a used one or cheaper one in the box.
__________________
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #54
mainbearing
Lieutenant
207
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Definitely return it. Do not waste the time to put in questionable parts and then regret it. Some TRW or Lamforder arms would come in thick plastic bags, while smaller Lamforder parts (shock mounts, sway bar links) in unsealed cardboard boxes.

There are always Rockauto, RM European, or Tischer (now BMW of Silver Spring or getbmwparts.com).


Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
WAIT WHAT?
First thing I noticed is that the BMW part looks like it was refurbished. All the casting marks are worn smooth, where the new TRW part has all the sharp castings intact. The rubber boots on the inner bushing and ball joint are brand new, and the threads on the ball joint looks brand new, it's just the casting on the arm itself looks like it was used and cleaned up.

Did BMW ever refurbish these arms? If so, is there any guarantee that they're straight?

I haven't installed them yet, but this has been bugging me and I'm going to ask for a replacement and get the correct TRW branded arm that I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #55
mainbearing
Lieutenant
207
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Therefore if a bad apple customer returned "supposedly new" BMW control arms, they would wind up on shelf for the next unsuspecting customer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
FCP wouldn't stock Genuine BMW M3 control arms. Those would come from BMW logistics directly as do the majority of genuine parts that they sell.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #56
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
853
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California -> Austin, Texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Yes, appeared to be Bosch from packaging and logo, etc.

1) I weighed them to the nearest gram. They were 25 grams lighter than stock Bosch that came installed from factory. I am original owner so I know my originals were legit.

2) The packaging had serial numbers which I did check on the Bosch website, and they could not verify they were original.

3) They had an odd smell, almost like they were burned.

4) The packaging just seemed off. Like used somehow.

5) I had misfire codes on every cylinder in under 10 miles. I am tuned, so Iím guessing these coils might work ok on a completely stock engine. Tuning software reads codes (MHD).

Eldor coils COMPLETELY solved my issue, not a single misfire since. Spark plugs seem to be fine. Eldor coils also from FCP and weigh more than even the stock Bosch genuine coils. Better part.

Iím guessing FCP didn't realize these coils were fake. Their supplier perhaps sold them as real and they were intricate fakes. But I have no doubt they were fake.
Hopefully they weren't. To play devil's advocate, it could just be that the stock bosch coils(which are made for very specific OEM thresholds) simply couldn't work well with your tune or whatever your setup is.
__________________
2011 E90 328i, 1995 E34 530i, 1992 E32 740i, 1991 E34 525i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #57
sonofsun
Private
13
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: '11 328i X-drive E90 N51 PK53
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one3E90 View Post
Knockoffs are so easy to make now. Anyone with a 3d printer can print those coil packs and make it do the suction noise when u pop it out to sound like the oem ones. And the connectors u can melt like other metals or pennies and carve it out to that shape.
I think it's easier to make these mock ones cheaply from playdoh. Who cares about suction noise. Even toddlers can make them.
Appreciate 2
2one3E901648.50
e91Owner157.50
      08-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #58
BayMoWe335
Colonel
1021
Rep
2,098
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Hopefully they weren't. To play devil's advocate, it could just be that the stock bosch coils(which are made for very specific OEM thresholds) simply couldn't work well with your tune or whatever your setup is.
I was on stock Bosch with the tune for over 15,000 miles. I replaced all coils because on #3 started misfiring (On 11 year old Bosch factory coils). New Bosch from FCP caused all 6 to misfire in <10 miles.

New Eldor from FCP eliminated all issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #59
BayMoWe335
Colonel
1021
Rep
2,098
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
FCP wouldn't stock Genuine BMW M3 control arms. Those would come from BMW logistics directly as do the majority of genuine parts that they sell. So are you saying BMW sent you fake control arms?

Probably came from a spaceship.
I've already established I got fake Bosch coils from them. I'm 100% sure they were fake because I weighed them and they lasted <10 miles.

My mechanic got used M3 control arms from them, not me. Take the story with a grain of salt, but anything can be returned to FCP so it only makes sense SOME shady inventory may get back into their control if it's not checked/thrown out.

I'm not saying they knowingly do it, but now I've experienced myself and have a trusted BMW Master tech saying he won't install parts from them. I'm going dealer or Tischer BMW from now on. Do what you think is best.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #60
mainbearing
Lieutenant
207
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

I get what you said. I also got that WTF feeling looking at a couple of the parts I got and I only bought a few times. That was enough for me to get off FCP.

I think most of us can tell what real, new inventory looks like. I am sure they will make it right, but I do not need the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I'm not saying they knowingly do it, but now I've experienced myself and have a trusted BMW Master tech saying he won't install parts from them. I'm going dealer or Tischer BMW from now on. Do what you think is best.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #61
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
158
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Out of the Office

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I've already established I got fake Bosch coils from them. I'm 100% sure they were fake because I weighed them and they lasted <10 miles.

My mechanic got used M3 control arms from them, not me. Take the story with a grain of salt, but anything can be returned to FCP so it only makes sense SOME shady inventory may get back into their control if it's not checked/thrown out.

I'm not saying they knowingly do it, but now I've experienced myself and have a trusted BMW Master tech saying he won't install parts from them. I'm going dealer or Tischer BMW from now on. Do what you think is best.
More likely a difference in lots from Bosch than some carefully crafted fake part scheme, particularly with a company that does their volume.

For something that you'll replace once, probably doesn't matter, but for common parts, their guarantee is worth dealing with the aliens.
Appreciate 1
2one3E901648.50
      08-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #62
BayMoWe335
Colonel
1021
Rep
2,098
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
More likely a difference in lots from Bosch than some carefully crafted fake part scheme, particularly with a company that does their volume.

For something that you'll replace once, probably doesn't matter, but for common parts, their guarantee is worth dealing with the aliens.
Why is that more likely? There are tons of fake Bosch ones out there and these looked off, didn’t weigh enough, no serial numbers, and didn’t work. I doubt real Bosch coils would look and perform like these.

From what I experienced, all the evidence points to fake Bosch. Not a bad batch of real Bosch.
Appreciate 1
2one3E901648.50
      08-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #63
onthe3rdday
Private
21
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 07 Z4C
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
FCP seems great, but I can tell you they shipped me fake Bosch coils that were Chinese junk. I put them in and every single one misfired within 7 miles. Sure, they give you a refund, but they are selling fake parts and I think they know it.

Just want to assure you guys that selling fake anything is not a game that we play here at FCP Euro. We have a thorough vetting process and QA process for all of the parts that we offer, that's not to say we haven't seen products from reputable suppliers be dead on arrival or prematurely fail. It happens, and if we see a pattern we address it with the manufacturer. If you ever have an issue with a part, reach out to service@fcpeuro.com and give us the opportunity to help.

-- I'm the guy playing with the Bosch coils in this video

Kyle @ FCP

Appreciate 2
e90yyc1471.50
      08-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #64
Schmitz
Lieutenant
Schmitz's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
To be fair, he's seen a lot of parts from FCP that are fake to the point he won't install them anymore because he's had too many failures. He's seen a lot of parts he knows are used too. I do think their lifetime replacement on stuff like fluids is actually a strange policy, even though it sounds good. I also think this is how used and junk parts get in their inventory. Customers send back fake stuff and they take it, maybe mistakenly putting it back in shelves for sale. I don't know, but I got fake parts for sure. They may not knowingly have fake inventory.

And I can tell you I definitely got fake parts. I have 2 Master's in finance and slip ups can happen the bigger the company becomes too. I'm in no way suggesting ALL their parts are trash. I am using Spark Plugs and Eldor coils from them at the moment, no issues. They made it right. But they may be getting too big to completely manage their supply chain.
Damn—that's surprising to hear. I'm honestly surprised that he won't install their parts anymore due to issues, because I'd think that would indicate it's a very big problem. I guess I'll have to watch closely with future orders.

You're right that the rapid growth and pursuit of a painless customer experience can come at a cost. The speed with which I was refunded for a recent (new parts) return would indicate they probably didn't look too closely at what I sent them, haha. Fortunately for the next guy I'm honest and they aren't used, but I suppose there are always going to be people who cheat.

Glad to hear they made everything right for you. They have always been super easy to deal with for me, too.
I'm not sure if I agree with everything you say or I just appreciate it because of your avatar picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #65
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
1472
Rep
2,346
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with everything you say or I just appreciate it because of your avatar picture.
Both!?

__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #66
BayMoWe335
Colonel
1021
Rep
2,098
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe3rdday View Post
Just want to assure you guys that selling fake anything is not a game that we play here at FCP Euro. We have a thorough vetting process and QA process for all of the parts that we offer, that's not to say we haven't seen products from reputable suppliers be dead on arrival or prematurely fail. It happens, and if we see a pattern we address it with the manufacturer. If you ever have an issue with a part, reach out to service@fcpeuro.com and give us the opportunity to help.

-- I'm the guy playing with the Bosch coils in this video

Kyle @ FCP

Yeah, I clarified later in the thread that this was probably a mistake and you guys did end up taking care of it.

From that perspective, the service is great.

I will say that the Bosch coils might need a closer look. The fact I had a failure in <10 miles on every cylinder, the Bosch coils didn't weigh as much as my stock ones, and the packaging looking somewhat off makes me think you guys got a bad supplier or bad return that got into inventory.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST