E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW Maintenance - only applies to initial owner

07-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Thumbs down BMW Maintenance - only applies to initial owner

Sorry if this is a repost - I just got back from vacation and saw this. https://www.bmwcca.org/news/bmw%E2%8...-initial-buyer

Starting this month it appears any new car purchased the maintenance program will only be valid to the " initial owner, purchaser, or lessee." Kinda crappy.

Quote:
Long considered a strong sales incentive, BMW’s Maintenance Program has kept owners of new BMW’s from having to shell out any money for routine maintenance and normal wear and tear parts for the duration of the vehicle’s original warranty.

BMW still maintains its Maintenance Program and it will still save BMW owners a lot of money, but as of July 1, 2014, only the initial owner, purchaser, or lessee will receive the benefit.

Previously, no matter who owned the car, if it was still under its initial warranty, BMW would pay for routine maintenance and parts. But in a change just recently announced, “For model year 2015 or later vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, BMW Maintenance Program coverage is provided for the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico).”

Reading the fine print reveals one exception that many BMW owners will find convenient and valuable. The Maintenance Program remains in effect if the vehicle is transferred to a household member:

“The sole exception to the non-transferability of BMW Maintenance Program coverage is that household transfer—transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center—will not terminate BMW Maintenance Program coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle.”

So, good news for those keeping their new Bimmers in the family, and bad news for everyone else acquiring a BMW that is still under warranty. Buyers falling into the latter category may want to ask the original owner if the dealer has replaced the wiper blades lately. In other words, a smart seller should make certain that the vehicle has received all allowable service and replacement parts under the BMW Maintenance Program to provide the best possible incentive and value to the new buyer.—Scott Blazey

For a complete description of the BMW Maintenance Program straight from the source, visit http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx.

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone

Last edited by mike5809; 07-14-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
jakuum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Welcome to Coffee Talk. Discuss! But yea this is kinda crappy of BMW, although I hardly used the maintenance plan on my previous e90 and haven't used it once on my now e92. But if you drive a lot or go through brakes quickly I can this as being a pretty big bummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

yea sucks. They have to be losing money if they don't keep it to original owner. BMW is not what it used to be.. Everyone has one now. Used to a be an exclusive club lol. Now everywhere you look is a 3 series
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

How much is the maintenance plan worth anyway if you buy used? 2 oil changes maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
How much is the maintenance plan worth anyway if you buy used? 2 oil changes maybe?
Maybe and some brakes.
The CPO extended warranty is more valuable.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
I just purchased my 2011 in January of this year and have maintenance until July 2015. Already I have had all brakes and rotors done. Next month I will have an oil change and spark plugs done. Just that work equals over $1,500 - worth it in my opinion.

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
I just purchased my 2011 in January of this year and have maintenance until July 2015. Already I have had all brakes and rotors done. Next month I will have an oil change and spark plugs done. Just that work equals over $1,500 - worth it in my opinion.
New rotors and brakes already ? you need too slow it down a bit young man .

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0