E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Multiple electrical issues

02-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
stickle1212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328 xi

Exclamation Multiple electrical issues

Car: E90 328xi manual

I recently purchased this car at an auction, the car had an overheating problem which was cause by the fan not working. The mechanic stated that there was no power going to the fan and replaced the fuse junction box and module (located in the glove box), none of those changes resolved the issue. The issue was resolved by simply changing the fan.

However, I'm now plagued with numerous electrical issues:
  • The following items are not working:
    Both power seats
    A/C Blower
    Radio
    Heated seats
    Horn
    lights flicker (inside & outside)

In addition, the lights flicker (inside & outside)
Could all of the listed problems be caused by the module not being coded?

Please help to point me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Update:
Power seats working
Heated seats working
Radio working.

Flickering lights still and issue (halogen).
Please assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Simple (i.e., without the standard "have you scanned for codes and what do you get?" proviso) troubleshooting says that the mechanic who messed with the fuse box and module (what module was that?) needs to go back and check his work. Either broke something, popped some fuses, or left something loose. Since the original problem (the fan not running) actually probably had nothing to do with what he did in the glovebox. This - taking it back to that person - will probably be your shortest path to a solution.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
stickle1212
Private
Rep

I agree with you, the fan issue was unrelated, just horrible trouble shooting on his part. I had recently bought the car so I didn't know if some of the problems already existed. However, after removing and examining the fuse box and the module below it, I realized that there were a number of fuses missing. After replacing the fuses, My seat functionality start working. There was also a fuse like device (BMW-Fuse-Electrical-Box-Shunt 327) missing, after replacing it, radio functionality returned. The blower appeared to be unrelated and was fix by lubrication.

The major issue I have now is the flickering of the light (No codes generated). This occur even with the car not started.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Simple (i.e., without the standard "have you scanned for codes and what do you get?" proviso) troubleshooting says that the mechanic who messed with the fuse box and module (what module was that?) needs to go back and check his work. Either broke something, popped some fuses, or left something loose. Since the original problem (the fan not running) actually probably had nothing to do with what he did in the glovebox. This - taking it back to that person - will probably be your shortest path to a solution.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0