E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Tracking with heater on.

09-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #67
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
bNks334 - The oil to water heat exchanger no longer exists, as already pointed out in this thread. US cars are Oil to air cooled now.

The 128i manual has an oil to water heat exchanger still. In that case, if you had read the thread, I've already conceded that a radiator upgrade might make way for sense for those people (hence BMW's creation of the PPk kit). Their cars do NOT come with the "hot climate" version oil to air cooler.
Those without the oil to water heat exchanger (pretty much all of us) would benefit more from an oil cooler upgrade.

bNks334 - I have an undersized 10row oil cooler from the factory, which is pretty much the only effective way for an N5x engine to shed heat from the engine oil since BMW moved to the "hot climate" oil to air cooler for US production vehicles.
BMW engineers literally said "ok, we can't overburden the cooling system in hot climates by also using it to cool the oil." "Solution: lets further separate the two cooling agents and use a separate oil to air cooler for engine oil."

"hot climate" ? oil to air cooler for US production vehicles ?
All n5x share exactly the same cooling system, in US, EU, AU and everywhere else, period.
I have dealt with 335i specifically, in US, EU and even SA but unfortunately the PDF is still in the works for you to read it.
Regarding your concern about the coolant temperature "fluctuation" and the oil temperature being somewhat steady, slowly increase or slowly decrease.
The oil temperature sensor and the coolant temperature sensor are located on or around the OFH.
So in theory if these fluid have similar characteristics they will show similar temperature reading but they are not so they do not and is not because how the engine is constructed internally.
Additionally, the thermostats for the oil and coolant are on opposite side, hot vs cool, they open at different temperatures, they have different ranges of fully closed, half open, and fully open, and what the oil system does not have is outlet temperature sensor, what the coolant system has, and is directly linked with the electric water pump that depending on this outlet coolant temperature, plus factoring in RPM and LOAD will either speed up or slow down. No such thing with the oil system and pump.
This thread started with HEATHER ON OR OFF so if you missed it in you damn PDF's the additional coolant radiator is hooked up to the coolant lines from the heater core.
Without insinuating on what is undersized here if there was not need for extra cooling from coolant BMW would not have put additional coolant radiator regardless of its size, never the less hooked up to the heater core.
So inevitable to conclude that using the heater core fan the shred heat works.
Ask BMW why they went this route and until you get an answer stop posting nonsense here.
WTF you still are dead wrong lmao. You have learned nothing. Thanks for your time anyway... Good job at also throwing in a bunch of extraneous info in there about where the thermostats are located and how they open. That has no bearing on anything I am stating.

You are still missing that BMW didn't add the additional radiator surface area to reduce oil temperatures. You keep bringing up the PPK to prove your misguided point that increasing the surface area of the radiator is going to magically solve all overheating problems. The fact of the matter is that a radiator is not going to prevent your oil temperatures from increasing. That is not why the PPK exists.

I don't care how many 335i's you have worked on... this is not 335ipost. There are tons of other cars in the E90 family and tons of other cars all using the N52, N54, and N55 engines. The variations in the cooling systems have already been explained...

Last edited by bNks334; 09-02-2016 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #68
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
WTF you still are dead wrong lmao. You have learned nothing. Thanks for your time anyway... Good job at also throwing in a bunch of extraneous info in there about where the thermostats are located and how they open. That has no bearing on anything I am stating.

You are still missing that BMW didn't add the additional radiator surface area to reduce oil temperatures. You keep bringing up the PPK to prove your misguided point that increasing the surface area of the radiator is going to magically solve all overheating problems. The fact of the matter is that a radiator is not going to prevent your oil temperatures from increasing. That is not why the PPK exists.
Only thing I'm missing is you home address to personally deliver you the newest BMW PDF
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #69
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Only thing I'm missing is you home address to personally deliver you the newest BMW PDF
Newest BMW PDF of what? Last I checked the N54, N55, and N52 engines are no longer in production.

I honestly just think there is a bit of a language barrier here because you keep bringing up a different point entirely.

Funny that pretty much every last bit of what I am saying also came up in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089057 which was started by Cloud9blue. His very own thread is an exmaple of how upgrading to the CSF radiator, and he even has PPK aux radiator, did NOT prevent oil from reaching 270+ on track. He even admits he was still getting put into limp mode by his JB4 because of it. Hence, why he installed the Dinan oil cooler.

What a waste of time...

Last edited by bNks334; 09-03-2016 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #70
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

lower coolant temp = lower oil temp

BMW's run hot in general for emissions. the big useless plastic cover on our engines does not help this one bit. if you care about your car while sitting in traffic, driving it hard, or tracking it, you should put 5w-40 into your car, keep the engine cover off and use the heater when track. this is a good idea because it helps keep your coolant temps lower.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #71
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I would just add this here lol It's real wonder why BCP is installing additional full size coolant radiator with a separate coolant pump in the rear. Why not oil radiator. Thake a look: https://www.facebook.com/BimmerPerfo...type=3&theater
btw Cloud9blue installed PPK add on coolant radiator, then Dinan oversized oil radiator. Continued to experience high temp issues that went away after installing a proper CFS racing coolant radiator. That was is my knowledge of the chronological events. If wrong please correct me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #72
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I would just add this here lol It's real wonder why BCP is installing additional full size coolant radiator with a separate coolant pump in the rear. Why not oil radiator. Thake a look: https://www.facebook.com/BimmerPerfo...type=3&theater
btw Cloud9blue installed PPK add on coolant radiator, then Dinan oversized oil radiator. Continued to experience high temp issues that went away after installing a proper CFS racing coolant radiator. That was is my knowledge of the chronological events. If wrong please correct me.
It's not a real wonder at all actually... it's just a pet project on a project car. They did not add a radiator. They relocated the radiator to the rear to make room in the engine bay for their turbo setup.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50