Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need input on wheels brands

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Need input on wheels brands

I really wanted Avant Garde M359 wheels. I read of bunch of great post on them dating frome like the 2011s then I find some post around 2015s saying the paint chips and the overall quality is not that good.

So I take a look at VMRs V703 which seems to be all around ok and then I realize a set of Alzor staggered in 19s is 500$ on ECS tuning.

So I don't know anymore. I do have a good budget for wheels but 500$ for a set of nice wheels it's so tempting. Some people say the Alzor wheels are as good as VMR and Avant Garde. But they're 500$... there must be a reason.

Now I am really unsure what to go for?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

V703s were discontinued a while ago, I don't you'll be able to find a new set.

I've read the same regarding the AG M359, they're also quite heavy. The ZCP 359m style wheel is awesome and definitely looks 'at home' on all E92s, AG is definitely the best option for this style for our cars.

I highly recommend Apex, their wheels are lightweight, aesthetically pleasing, and very affordable.
      09-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
V703s were discontinued a while ago, I don't you'll be able to find a new set.

I've read the same regarding the AG M359, they're also quite heavy. The ZCP 359m style wheel is awesome and definitely looks 'at home' on all E92s, AG is definitely the best option for this style for our cars.

I highly recommend Apex, their wheels are lightweight, aesthetically pleasing, and very affordable.
VMR made a posted not to long ago that they are getting shipment back of V703 in the sponsored wheel section.

Oh yeah uh? But is that to say the wheels are total shit? On the E9X M3 forums it's THE wheel everyone says to buy if you want ZCP look and your car didn't come with them.

Which Apex wheel is similar to V703 or M359? Look like the Arc 8 right? They are somewhat expensive, I don't need something super light weight, I could be happy with something weighting as much as what I currently have tbh.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
VMR made a posted not to long ago that they are getting shipment back of V703 in the sponsored wheel section.

Oh yeah uh? But is that to say the wheels are total shit? On the E9X M3 forums it's THE wheel everyone says to buy if you want ZCP look and your car didn't come with them.

Which Apex wheel is similar to V703 or M359? Look like the Arc 8 right? They are somewhat expensive, I don't need something super light weight, I could be happy with something weighting as much as what I currently have tbh.
I must have missed that regarding the V703, I wanted those previously but they weren't available.

The benefit of M359 is the sizing options available for both our cars and M3s, since the OEM 359m wheels only come in one size for front & rear. I would not be turned off from these wheels from the weight or the few quality issues, I think they're a great option and am still considering them for my iS. Although I do have another wheel in mind that's currently my front runner.

And yeah, ARC8s. About $1200 for a set unless you can get in on a group buy, which they often do.
      09-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I must have missed that regarding the V703, I wanted those previously but they weren't available.

The benefit of M359 is the sizing options available for both our cars and M3s, since the OEM 359m wheels only come in one size for front & rear. I would not be turned off from these wheels from the weight or the few quality issues, I think they're a great option and am still considering them for my iS. Although I do have another wheel in mind that's currently my front runner.

And yeah, ARC8s. About $1200 for a set unless you can get in on a group buy, which they often do.
Yes same here, VMR seemed to be a bit more affordable than M359s. But I think M359 do look a tadd better with the slimmer spokes.

Really the main thing I'm scared of the M359s is the paint flaking but I guess that might be due to improper cleaning, but in the end paint flake no to bad after 4 years, just get them powder coated I guess.

I also want to make sure the wheel won't brake apart, which doesn't seem to be an issue, or fragile wheel.

No opinions on the Alzors? They are so cheap haha but I think the M359 look unique even tho both are similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes same here, VMR seemed to be a bit more affordable than M359s. But I think M359 do look a tadd better with the slimmer spokes.

Really the main thing I'm scared of the M359s is the paint flaking but I guess that might be due to improper cleaning, but in the end paint flake no to bad after 4 years, just get them powder coated I guess.

I also want to make sure the wheel won't brake apart, which doesn't seem to be an issue, or fragile wheel.

No opinions on the Alzors? They are so cheap haha but I think the M359 look unique even tho both are similar.
Just coat the M359 with some wheel sealant and they should last 4 years easy. At that point I imagine they'd be ready for a refinishing anyway.

My opinion of Alzors is that they're too cheap, they also look cheaper. This is a situation where you get what you pay for.
      09-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just coat the M359 with some wheel sealant and they should last 4 years easy. At that point I imagine they'd be ready for a refinishing anyway.

My opinion of Alzors is that they're too cheap, they also look cheaper. This is a situation where you get what you pay for.
Yeah Alzor are a gamble.

For the M359, it's just I don't want to pay full price/higher price for something that should be quality when it's not but F it I'll get M359 first if I can get proper sizing and if not the VMRs.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Alzor are a gamble.

For the M359, it's just I don't want to pay full price/higher price for something that should be quality when it's not but F it I'll get M359 first if I can get proper sizing and if not the VMRs.

Thanks for your thoughts!
If it helps you sleep better, Avant Garde is a very reputable company and manufacture some high quality forged wheels. Even for their more cost-effective offerings, such as the M359, I would assume they are still sourcing good materials and producing to a higher standard of quality.

The M359 is offered in good sizes & offsets for our cars too, would you go 18" or 19"? 19x9et35 and 19x10et38 would work well with a 235/35 & 275/30 tire set up. Would probably need a small spacer in front for inner clearance and a slight fender roll in rear to fit the 275s without any rubbing. This is how I would do it based on my experience and research.
      09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If it helps you sleep better, Avant Garde is a very reputable company and manufacture some high quality forged wheels. Even for their more cost-effective offerings, such as the M359, I would assume they are still sourcing good materials and producing to a higher standard of quality.

The M359 is offered in good sizes & offsets for our cars too, would you go 18" or 19"? 19x9et35 and 19x10et38 would work well with a 235/35 & 275/30 tire set up. Would probably need a small spacer in front for inner clearance and a slight fender roll in rear to fit the 275s without any rubbing. This is how I would do it based on my experience and research.
I don't know for sizing yet. I emailed AG directly to ask them.

I would like to get 19s because right now my car has 19s and the fender gap top to wheel is really nice. It's just my current wheels are waaay to inside the finders. I want something flush and nice looking.

Preferably would like to keep my tires but I guess it might not be possible. I would prefer to avoid fender rolling to.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know for sizing yet. I emailed AG directly to ask them.

I would like to get 19s because right now my car has 19s and the fender gap top to wheel is really nice. It's just my current wheels are waaay to inside the finders. I want something flush and nice looking.

Preferably would like to keep my tires but I guess it might not be possible. I would prefer to avoid fender rolling to.
I think you could get away with 265/30 without needing to roll the fenders. I'm rocking spacers on my factory wheels to flush them closer to the fender.

I was opposed to fender rolling at first myself, but after investing almost $4k in suspension, wheels and tires, I couldn't get the fitment I wanted without rubbing so I went ahead and did it. It was much more innocent than I imagined with no noticeable change on the surface. The inside of the fender has a stupid lip that just gets pressed in to buy yourself that extra few mm where it counts. In my opinion, it's not possible to achieve good fitment without rolling this inner fender lip in. I will definitely be rolling the fenders on my iS when the time comes, stay tuned for Spring '19!

This is the fitment I'm referring to, although these are 18" on a pre-LCI. A few more pics available
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by b92; 09-21-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think you could get away with 265/30 without needing to roll the fenders. I'm rocking spacers on my factory wheels to flush them closer to the fender.

I was opposed to fender rolling at first myself, but after investing almost $4k in suspension, wheels and tires, I couldn't get the fitment I wanted without rubbing so I went ahead and did it. It was much more innocent than I imagined with no noticeable change on the surface. The inside of the fender has a stupid lip that just gets pressed in to buy yourself that extra few mm where it counts. In my opinion, it's not possible to achieve good fitment without rolling this inner fender lip in. I will definitely be rolling the fenders on my iS when the time comes, stay tuned for Spring '19!

This is the fitment I'm referring to, although these are 18" on a pre-LCI. A few more pics available
View post on imgur.com

Hmm it's just, I don't to pay someone or get the tool and do it.

As for you 4K suspension mods, was it in regards to like lowering the car and all that? My car is completely stock suspension wise.

And wooow, that still looks really good with 18s. I guess that car is lowered? Or you can compensate for 19s by getting wider tire?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm it's just, I don't to pay someone or get the tool and do it.

As for you 4K suspension mods, was it in regards to like lowering the car and all that? My car is completely stock suspension wise.

And wooow, that still looks really good with 18s. I guess that car is lowered? Or you can compensate for 19s by getting wider tire?
$4k was the total between the KW coilovers, ARC8s and MPSS.

18" setups for our cars are typically done with a 40 sidewall in front and 35 in rear. Stepping up to 19"s, you would reduce these to 35 in front and 30 in rear, so yeah the 18"s are compensated with larger tires. To compare, a 235/40/18 tire has a diameter of 25.4" whereas a 235/35/19 tire stands at 25.5, a very minimal difference.

I liked the 18" setup, they look great from most angles but sometimes I felt they looked a bit small. I'm going 19" this time around, also since that's the stock size that came on my iS.