E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2011 bmw 335i xdrive coupe tires suggestion

02-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #1
Mnazir541
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive coupe

2011 bmw 335i xdrive coupe tires suggestion

Hey guys, i really need your guys help as i'm not even close to an expert on this by any means. Trying to get there however!
So i have a 2011 bmw 335i xdrive coupe and i need a set of new wheels (tire and rim). I'm thinking of going with the 18's instead of the 17's which is the stock size for the car because of the wheel gap. I will not be lowering the car right now as i'm not looking to pay for that at the moment and i will revisit that another time. That leads me on to the next part of the question, since i won't be lowering the car i've noticed a lot of people saying it's ridiculous putting after market rims on a stock suspension setup so i' thinking to purchase oem wheels and plastic dip them. It is a every day car so i want the drive to remain pretty smooth so i'll be ditching run flats. and handling is pretty important for me as well. What do you guys think? Is going from 18s to 17s a good decision? There shouldn't be any problem doing that should there? Also what do you think about the oem vs after market rims situation? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

My thoughts:

18 vs 17 won't physically alter the wheel/fender gap as the overall diameter should remain the same. BUT ... the larger wheel could *visually* reduce the appearance of the gap by bringing the metal bits (wheels and fenders) closer to each other, with less rubber in between. Note that this visual effect only works if the wheels are visible, i.e. not black. Your plastidip idea (assuming you mean black plastidip) would competely negate this. Black wheels just make your entire wheel wells into fender gap (maybe that's the theory - if you can't see the wheels, you can't have wheel gap ).

Otherwise, both wheel sizes will work. Just remember xdrive needs the overall rolling diameter to be the same to save the transfer case. If possible, consider a square setup, this is best (though not essential) for the xdrive, allows tire rotation, and can help reduce the inherent understeer.

Aftermarket vs OEM doesn't matter. At all. Ditching the runflats is good as long as you're ok with what to do in the unlikely situation that you get a flat.

Avoid black wheels.

*Edit: no, autocorrect, I didn't type "gender gap" twice...

Last edited by Cyril Sneer; 02-04-2021 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Mnazir541
Rep

Thank you so much for your feedback! So i guess i shouldn't plastidip until i'm ready to lower the car. (I really want black wheels lol)
Also, the after market wheels shouldn't look odd with the wheel gap? And how's the quality? Do some give better ride than oem or are the usually more harsh?
What is also other benefits of going to 18 from 17 given that it won't do anything for the way the car handles and drives?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
Mnazir541
Rep

Won't do anything for the wheel gap* will it have an effect on how the car handles and drives?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #5
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

I've never understood the black wheel trend. They look ridiculous to me, and certainly worse than whatever other finish the owner might choose. But hey, you do you, my man.

17s, in theory, would ride better, accelerate quicker, and be cheaper. 18s should, in theory, be worse in those areas, but better in handling due to shorter, stiffer sidewalls. "In theory", because there are many other factors that play in.
And really, any differences will be slight. They're very close, and BMW offered both options from the factory.

OEM vs aftermarket shouldn't affect ride and handling. Lighter wheels will help both ride and handling, whether OEM or aftermarket.
Appreciate 0