E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Starting Trouble - Thoughts?

01-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
kansascitysteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

E90 Starting Trouble - Thoughts?

Long time reader, first time poster. I am fairly new to this model (e90) and wanted to see if I could get some of your thoughts on where to begin with the following start up symptoms from the group!

2008 328i
79,000 miles

1) When the fob is inserted, all dash lights and displays function normal
2) When clutch and brake is engaged and start button pressed, the car will not start
3) I do hear the cranking sound, as if the car is attempting to start properly
4) The battery is 18 months old and seems to be functioning fine
5) I charged the battery manually with a 6 amp charger overnight to ensure it was 100% charged before attempting to start
6) Car will not start when attempting to jump from another vehicle
7) I do not hear any clicking noises or anything, it sounds like a normal start, except it never starts.
8) There is a bit of a spudder during the attempted starts, as if it is going to start up, but never does.
9) Tried starting with the MAF unplugged, as I heard that sometimes works - but no luck with that either.

Any thoughts? I was going to just go buy a new starter and replace it, and maybe the spark plugs, but not sure this is really the issue since I dont hear any clicking and I do hear it cranking.

I ordered a code reader today to check out any codes that may be present, but on the surface, there is no CEL or any obvious codes or warnings being displayed on the dash.

Thanks!

Last edited by kansascitysteve; 01-28-2021 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansascitysteve View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. I am fairly new to this model (e90) and wanted to see if I could get some of your thoughts on where to begin with the following start up symptoms from the group!

2008 328i
79,000 miles

1) When the fob is inserted, all dash lights and displays function normal
2) When clutch and brake is engaged and start button pressed, the car will not start
3) I do hear the cranking sound, as if the car is attempting to start properly
4) The battery is 18 months old and seems to be functioning fine
5) I charged the battery manually with a 6 amp charger overnight to ensure it was 100% charged before attempting to start
6) Car will not start when attempting to jump from another vehicle
7) I do not hear any clicking noises or anything, it sounds like a normal start, except it never starts.
8) There is a bit of a spudder during the attempted starts, as if it is going to start up, but never does.
9) Tried starting with the MAF unplugged, as I heard that sometimes works - but no luck with that either.

Any thoughts? I was going to just go buy a new starter and replace it, and maybe the spark plugs, but not sure this is really the issue since I dont hear any clicking and I do hear it cranking.

I ordered a code reader today to check out any codes that may be present, but on the surface, there is no CEL or any obvious codes or warnings being displayed on the dash.

Thanks!
Kind of hard to diagnose w/o the codes—those should give you a definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Luis561
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

If the engine is turning over I wouldn't waste money on a starter. Start with coils and plugs, they're cheap online
Appreciate 0