E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 Temp Gauge Bouncing - Oil Sensor Fault Code 2E9F

02-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
rba262
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

E92 Temp Gauge Bouncing - Oil Sensor Fault Code 2E9F

as wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar.

I've noticed my Oil Temp Gauge has been moving up and down faster than usual when the engine is warmed up and at idle.

Link -

*(Set playback speed to 2x to really see it)

Obviously, this thing is supposed to move, but this amount of movement cant be normal. It is not as extreme when driving but still noticeable.
Also, the car would usually get up to 250 but now rarely makes it past 240.
My Fan does not sound louder than usual and everything drives fine other than this.

Scanned the car using Carly and have an Oil Sensor Fault Code 2E9F, no engine light
the car usually gets short trips and I have noticed a little "BMW Mayo" under the hood.
Not sure if moisture could be causing this or if it is a part.

Does anyone know if it could be a bad Thermostat, Pump, or Oil sensor. or is it short trips causing this?
Oil was changed about 2k miles ago and the sensor still seems to measure it accurately so not really worried about that. My daily commute is just up the street so the car does not get driven hard or up to temp too often.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I don't even have an oil temp gauge on my e90.

Oil temperature sensor is cheap and easy to replace near your oil filter. Oil condition sensor (which that code is referencing) is under the engine on the oil pan I believe.

I don't think my fan even comes on unless I'm driving hard... and yeah the short trips likely aren't helping either.
Appreciate 0