E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Power terminals in trunk/boot trashed by water leak

02-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
lexfury
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Power terminals in trunk/boot trashed by water leak

Hi folks

Found out I have the 'water in battery compartment' issue that others have had here, complete with severe corrosion of cable ends, on my 320D. Pulled it out to find the thicker +ve instantly shear clean off

I managed to clean most of the crap out of the area, and removed the larger nut on the starter/alternater terminal. However, the connector that was on the end of the sheared-off cable is stuck there, and when trying to undo the nut from the smaller terminal connector, all that came off was a piece of it - you can see in the picture this almost happened to the other, larger nut. So now there is just a lump of metal that no socket will fit over, holding the smaller cable to it.

I've ordered a complete new power board and cables, so need to get this crap off, but access down there is such a pain in the ass... has anyone managed to do it themselves, any tips if so? I imagine trying to get better access would involve taking the rear bumper off...

Any idea on how much a garage would charge to resolve?

I've not looked at the other side yet as couldn't get rusted bolts off the wheel well, but hoping the rot hasn't progressed through much, as this must have happened this winter.

One more question...how bad would it be to leave the cable currently connected? It didn't come off with some hard pulls and wiggling so assume would hold a while longer after being cleaned up and the leak fixing.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Water Drains
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566005
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680103

Links within Links
The first link second entry covers this pretty well.
The amplifer for the stereo is on the other side if you have one.
There are three sound system's the base system called stereo
had no amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
lexfury
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

thanks ctuna.

Update for anyone in a similar predicament in future - here's how I sorted the mess.

I dremel'd the top of the plastic surrounds off to get better access. A few sprays of plusgas and leaving to penetrate, I then had to use a bolt extractor on the 13mm nut on the left terminal (which had rotted itself to significantly less than 13mm). Needle-nose pliers to pull the battery connector loops off.
Cleaned up the terminals as best I could with degreaser, wire brush, vinegar for the verdigris and cotton earbuds to get crap from around the sides.

Ordered a used battery board + BST + cables from ebay for £20 (I feel like I got lucky here, it was a slightly later model with the IBS negative cable thrown in too), and the official spec terminal nuts from BMW for £5, pulled the DME +ve cable out and used that on my battery board, and replaced my BST with sheared off cable with the spare, dis and reconnecting the black takata connector to it. Put some battery grease on the terminals and nuts too to give a little bit of protection were it to happen again.

Still need to get the car up and check both the other side of the terminals for any oxidisation or trapped water, and of course un-clog the drain plug and find the leak!
Appreciate 0