E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n46 Issues After VCG Change

02-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
corvitus
Rep
Drives: 320i 2005

n46 Issues After VCG Change

Hi guys,

Bit of background first.

Last year I was experiencing multiple oil leaks from the usual places along with power loss and half engine light between 2000-3000 RPM. The power loss issue would go away if I took my foot off the accelerator and then accelerated more slowly.

I then did the following work.

- Redid the VCG, Vacuum Pump and Oil Filter Housing seals
- Replaced spark plugs (NGK cheapies, not Iridium)
- Replaced 1 ignition coil that was throwing a misfire error with another Bosch coil

Here is my current situation

- My leaks have stopped
- My idle is rough, particularly on first start-up where it hovers around 600RPM for the first 1-2 minutes of my ride
- The car sputters/stumbles slightly when I rev it the needle drops below 1000rpm
- I have a minimum lift exceeded valvetronic error which I never had before
- Whenever I brake (irrespective of gear or speed) my car jerks 2-3 times as if it is shifting gears (without fail). The only time it doesn't happen is if I put the car in sport mode which keeps the car in M2 at the lights which has lead me to believe its a transmission thing

I'm looking for some feedback on the following questions

1. Does it seem odd that my valvtronic went as soon as I did the VCG? Is there a chance they didn't connect something properly?

2. Is it worth getting my mechanic to take the VC off to check without going in there to replace those parts?

3. Given that my VCG is pretty new does it make sense to reseal it without replacing it?

4. Is there any chance the spark plugs / coil I added are causing some of this given that they were the only other thing done?

5. I noticed another person had this "kicking" at brake and he replaced his spark plugs and the problem went away
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Scan for codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #3
corvitus
Rep
Drives: 320i 2005

I did that. As mentioned I am getting a valvtronic minimum lift error.

It seems odd that the error appeared straight after my VCG replacement.
Appreciate 0