E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 audio upgrading

03-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
elfrider
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E92

E92 audio upgrading

Hi,
I realise there are loads of threads on this topic (too many, hence why I'm now pretty confused) so I want to keep this as concise as possible.

I currently have a 2011 LCI E92 with Base Stereo (+Business Nav) and am looking to upgrade the audio. Willing to do this myself if possible (I’ve done plenty of car audio installs over the years) and have good electrical experience but just need a few pointers to get me started. Happy to spend the money where the improvement is significant, but equally I’m not an audiophile who’s looking for perfection. Please bear in mind I’m in the UK.

I know I need to add tweeters (new panels required), and that the base HU doesn’t output a flat signal to start with as it’s compensating for the crappy speakers hanging off it but my main questions are:

1. I’ve seen “kits” for sale recently, that claim to be “plug and play”, namely the Vibe Optisound which includes all subs, woofers, tweeters & POWERBOX65.4 amp for around £350. This obviously doesn’t include a DSP so should I expect this to be a bad choice? Just making a poor quality sound louder? Obviously don’t want to exclude this option if the results are actually pretty good.

2. What about something like: https://www.teamspb.co.uk/BMW-audio-...dsp-bmw201.htm. Another “kit” but with built in DSP. Is the sound quality significantly better to warrant more than double the cost?

3. Are the above options genuinely plug and play? How much needs “adding” on top? Like I say I’m not scared of this but would like to be prepared. Do the amps fit nicely without major modding? Where do the new crossovers go? Etc.

4. Do the above options need head unit recoding as well? If so are we talking a minor improvement, or an absolute must? They don’t mention needing recoding (I read somewhere that recoding to hifi changes the HU output from high to low level, presumably meaning this kits are no longer correct anyway?)

Thanks all in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've fitted a few different P&P options to mine and other cars and the most recent was the Vibe kit you mentioned.

Yes it doesn't have a DSP but it was truly P&P (apart from the required tweeter housings). The sound was actually very good for the price point with no additional requirements.
Yes you can get better but as you have stated will cost you more. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

I guess the real question is what are you after and what budget?