E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Parsing error

06-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Desi501
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Parsing error

I installed ISTA-P 3.65.2 and I'm getting a parsing error when launching

C: Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\ machine.config
Parse returned error 0xC00CE556

Using loader 6.1

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a total newbie at this but I have learned tons in the past 3 days trying to do this.

PS, I already applied the ISTA-P fix.7z

Last edited by Desi501; 06-16-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...et%20framework

The other thing is we have already told you ista P is not
a good thing and you need and ICOM cable and a big
power supply to have a good chance with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Sorry if it seems like I'm piling on but you really don't want to use ISTA-P, particularly with an emulator (i.e. using a DCAN cable not an ICOM-B unit). It's very complex but at the same time inflexible. For example, it is nearly impossible to select only a part of the programming/coding that it suggests. You have to accept it all, whether you want it or not and it's not at all transparent about what it's doing or why it's doing it.

BMW standard tools (INPA, NCSexpert, WinKFP) are what you should learn to use. They are much simpler and very flexible. There are plenty of tutorials and plenty of folks with experience to offer on the forums. With a Bimmergeek pro cable, you can code any module and program all except certain MOST bus modules (in fact, I've programmed the CIC with it - it worked but took a number of hours - if you tried this with ISTA-P and an emulator you'd be in a world of pain).

ISTA-D can be useful, for me mainly because it has a built-in database of illustrated procedures, component locations and fastener torque values but still, INPA pulls error codes and perform tests of hardware so much more rapidly and efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
Desi501
Rep

I appreciate and understand your advice. My issue is communication. I have none so I'm not sure the other programs will work. The modules appear to be alive as the car runs, the windows work, etc. I'm thinking that ISTA-P may be my last resort to restore communication. I haven't decided to actually attempt any programming but I was hoping to be able to see what the issue is more clearly.

I have already attempted to use ISTA+ and was unable to communicate with anything.

I was able to resolve the parsing error by using the machine.config.default file to replace the machine.config file.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'd still try standard tools first, to try and overcome your connection issues. There is no harm in having them and ista installed on the same machine - just means you have more options.

In my experience (total noob, but installed ista P, D, and standard tools) ista P/D aren't super user-friendly, despite having GUIs...you're really not missing out on anything by not using them.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
Desi501
Rep

Yes, I do have standard tools and have attempted to connect with no luck. My communication issues are in the vehicle, not the cables. None of the scan tools can communicate with any modules beyond the junction box since my failed update attempt using the Autel.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi501 View Post
I appreciate and understand your advice. My issue is communication. I have none so I'm not sure the other programs will work. The modules appear to be alive as the car runs, the windows work, etc. I'm thinking that ISTA-P may be my last resort to restore communication. I haven't decided to actually attempt any programming but I was hoping to be able to see what the issue is more clearly.

I have already attempted to use ISTA+ and was unable to communicate with anything.

I was able to resolve the parsing error by using the machine.config.default file to replace the machine.config file.

To your point, ISTA isn't more capable, it is less capable. ISTA are dealer tools - when something doesn't work the dealer throws up their hands and replaces as many modules as they can. And why not? They're not paying for it. Forget about ISTA-P

BMW standard tools are factory tools. Some areas of the DME are still privileged, like the ISN, so you cannot access/change them with any free/cheap software but, in general, you'll have better access with BST than ISTA.

Back to your actual problem; you mentioned that the car runs and no obvious functionality has been lost, other than the ability to read modules through the OBD port. Is this true - is nothing else affected? If so, it suggests that the CANbus and various sub buses are active and that most modules are OK.

OBDII port access to the CANbus is through the JBE (that is, the CAN-H and CAN-L wires from the OBDII port go directly to the JBE). So perhaps your Autel device scrambled the gateway code in the junction box electronics. I'd use WinKFP to try and re-flash it and see if that clears things up. If you can't flash it, it's not that expensive to replace - a used one will do, as long it is from the proper vintage (there are at least three different hardware levels of JBE).

You do see that you cannot have done that much damage if the only problem is OBDII access.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Desi501
Rep

Thank you for the response. I think that is the case for the most part. I have error warnings from numerous modules like restraint, stability control etc. The scan tools cannot access the VO at all. The DDE obviously runs the car and the CAS is powering things but no communication with either one. I was hoping the module tree from ISTA-P would identify for me which modules have issues so I could create a plan from there, possibly reverting back to BMW tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

ISTA won’t give you want you want. It won’t substitute for human logic applied to the problem. It’ll flag every module your getting errors from but won’t tell you why
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Desi501
Rep

ok, I attempted to read modules but it told me what I already knew. The VO is missing. It attempted to access it via Internet but failed to do so. Right now I am loading E89 Datum onto a flash drive but I suspect that will not have it either. Do you have any idea how to obtain the Vehicle order for this car?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You attempted to read what modules with what software and the error message was what? Some detail is useful.

You won't get a complete VO off the internet but you can get a list of options for your VIN at mdecoder.com. The VO consists of a list of option number plus some other info. It is not stored in any daten, it's stored in your CAS and NFRM modules

But why do you need this? What's so important to you about the VO? It is completely irrelevant to getting your vehicle fixed at this point. What you really need to do is restore the ability to read modules - then you can get the VO from CAS or NFRM, if you really need to have it.

You may be a very good engineer but you haven't paid your dues by making the honest effort to learn how to work with BMW software. There is no shortcut for time in.

Last edited by dpaul; 06-20-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Desi501
Rep

I don't disagree with you. I am a newbie and just trying to fix this car. No equipment can connect with any modules because it can't get the VO from the CAS which is basically what my problem is. Everything I hook up to it tells me it can't find the VO so it can't connect with anything. I guess it needs the VO to connect with any modules. I have downloaded the list of features this car has but that doesn't seem to help me any identifying the modules. The Autel will give me a list of possible modules but that's not vehicle specific.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You are not giving the information I asked for. What software are you talking about?

Inpa won't care about the VO. Use that to query each module individually. Report on which will and which won't respond.

Try to be methodical and inclusive in your descriptions
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
Desi501
Rep

There must be something wrong with my installation of INPS as it keep giving me initialization error and I don't know how to use WinKFP.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...My issue is communication. I have none so I'm not sure the other programs will work. The modules appear to be alive as the car runs, the windows work, etc...I have already attempted to use ISTA+ and was unable to communicate with anything.
Quote:
Yes, I do have standard tools and have attempted to connect with no luck. My communication issues are in the vehicle, not the cables. None of the scan tools can communicate with any modules beyond the junction box since my failed update attempt using the Autel.
Quote:
...I have error warnings from numerous modules like restraint, stability control etc. The scan tools cannot access the VO at all. The DDE obviously runs the car and the CAS is powering things but no communication with either one...
I realize that you have multiple threads & posts related to this issue, but I'm NOT sure that anyone has really identified what the issue is. You say "my issue is communication." Using the terminology most scan tools use, perhaps what you are experiencing is that a Scan Tool CANNOT CONNECT to any module, using the appropriate protocol. That could be due to anything as simple as NO power at pin #16 (battery power) or pin #1 (Ignition switched power), or as dpaul suggests, an issue with the DCAN connections between the OBD II Socket (X19527) and the JBE (A4010a), etc.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the OBD II Socket on LATER 2007 328i models (build date 3/1/2007 - 8/31/2007):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x19527/kISM68N

If your's was built BEFORE 3/1/2007, see this schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x19527/oMMal4U

You don't say (in this thread):
1) WHAT if any vehicle functions do NOT work properly? (forget Instrument Cluster Warning Lights -- just what does NOT work as it should that you can observe, such as Instrument Cluster), Lights, Locking circuits, etc.)
2) Pick ANY simple scan tool, even a generic P-code reader (or go to Advance Auto or Autozone) and try to CONNECT to the DME or Engine Control Module (NOT DDE unless you have a diesel and the model is NOT 2007 328i):
A) Does the Scan Tool Power Indicator Light come on when you connect it to the OBD II Socket?
B) Does the Scan Tool indicate that it has "CONNECTED" to the DME, and/or show the Protocol used to connect?
C) Does the Scan Tool give ANY fault message related to Power, OR related to inability to Connect to the DME?
If you have a LATER 2007 328i with circuit diagram as shown in the FIRST link, Pin #1 (bottom socket on Left or OUTBOARD column of sockets) should be 12V+ with ignition on. If it is NOT, let us know.

Your issue may be something more complicated related to improper flashing, such as using code for wrong model, etc., but it would seem to me that the first thing to do is to assess EXACTLY what is NOT working as it should, and WHERE the problem arises when trying to connect a simple scan tool.

George
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you don't have a Bimmergeeks pro cable, get one. $45

Download BST from the Bimmergeeks site. You'll need a daten too, which contains all the binaries for programming all the modules for all the BMW cars. If you see a daten that is restricted to E90, that's fine - it will have all that you need.

Read the installation information carefully on Bimmergeeks.com, get INPA working and get back to us at that point. If you get INPA working, all the other BST components will work as well.

This is the basic setup. You must have it. In the meantime, do some reading about what the VO really is.

And for gods sake, if you experience some sort of error, don't just say "initialization" error. Tell us exactly what the error messages are.

Last edited by dpaul; 06-20-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I realize that you have multiple threads & posts related to this issue, but I'm NOT sure that anyone has really identified what the issue is. You say "my issue is communication." Using the terminology most scan tools use, perhaps what you are experiencing is that a Scan Tool CANNOT CONNECT to any module, using the appropriate protocol. That could be due to anything as simple as NO power at pin #16 (battery power) or pin #1 (Ignition switched power), or as dpaul suggests, an issue with the DCAN connections between the OBD II Socket (X19527) and the JBE (A4010a), etc.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the OBD II Socket on LATER 2007 328i models (build date 3/1/2007 - 8/31/2007):

1) WHAT if any vehicle functions do NOT work properly? (forget Instrument Cluster Warning Lights -- just what does NOT work as it should that you can observe, such as Instrument Cluster), Lights, Locking circuits, etc.)
2) Pick ANY simple scan tool, even a generic P-code reader (or go to Advance Auto or Autozone) and try to CONNECT to the DME or Engine Control Module (NOT DDE unless you have a diesel and the model is NOT 2007 328i):
A) Does the Scan Tool Power Indicator Light come on when you connect it to the OBD II Socket?
B) Does the Scan Tool indicate that it has "CONNECTED" to the DME, and/or show the Protocol used to connect?
C) Does the Scan Tool give ANY fault message related to Power, OR related to inability to Connect to the DME?
If you have a LATER 2007 328i with circuit diagram as shown in the FIRST link, Pin #1 (bottom socket on Left or OUTBOARD column of sockets) should be 12V+ with ignition on. If it is NOT, let us know.

Your issue may be something more complicated related to improper flashing, such as using code for wrong model, etc., but it would seem to me that the first thing to do is to assess EXACTLY what is NOT working as it should, and WHERE the problem arises when trying to connect a simple scan tool.

George
George - you're overthinking this. The communication problem was brought on acutely by the use of the Autel programming device. The car still runs and most functions appear normal (I think). Therefore, it's not a problem of B+ being absent from some pin.

He has already done what you suggest in point #2, and wasted a great deal of time and effort trying to install ISTA-P, which is completely inappropriate to his needs.

He needs to focus on properly installing BST, which everyone knows and uses and of course, is specific for BMW. Then he can begin to properly troubleshoot the lack of OBD2 access to CAS/NFRM.

To be sure, the OPs mention of DDE, which I let pass, reinforces the notion that he is starting at the very beginning in terms of knowledge and experience, which he freely admits.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Desi501
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

George

Thanks George
Most functions seem to work. Engine starts and runs, trans shifts forward and reverse, windows work, AC blower and air controls work but no compressor, navigation works, sunroof works, radio didn't work before. All fuses seem to have power.
When I hook up an Autel Maxysys and do a full scan, no modules come up. When I tried to hook up ISTA-P, it can't identify modules because the VO is missing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Your best chance to get somewhere is to get standard tools up
and going and learn the sub programs in standard tools.
If you are expecting a one step recovery with ista p you probably
not going to get that and dig a deeper hole.

George gives the best tech info
you should pay attention to what he says.
He is giving you a Logical approach.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
Desi501
Rep

Yes, I am understanding that. My hope was to see the module mapping in ISTA-P and maybe that would identify the problem areas but I gave up on that. My hail mary is now to disconnect the battery for a few days.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #21
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Both Inpa and Ista D can show the module mapping and show
which modules the car can talk to.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

If you get Inpa working the first thing to do is go to functional jobs
and read out the modules do a screen shot and post here.

Maybe you should try to find a coder near you or schedule a remote session
with one of the people that provide that service. They may even be able
to correctly install Standard Tools and Ista D for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1, good advice
Appreciate 0