E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Carbon Fiber front lip loose

02-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
bmwslug
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Carbon Fiber front lip loose

Hey Guys,

I have normally had great experiences with mod bargains, but they installed my lip and two days later one side is losing its adhesive. I'm in Santa Monica and don't want to drive all the way out to La Habra to have them fix it.

Can anyone here point me to a good place or someone that knows how to fix it. I bought 3m double sided tape, but i'm not really doing a great job at fixing it.

If you look at the picture below you can see the adhesive starting to slip on the left side of the picture.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
SeanS54
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP

I just installed my 2nd front lip today (first one fell off on the freeway). I highly recommend ~1.5" bolts with washers and nylock nuts. You have to drill the bottom of your bumper (right side and left side). Run the bolt and washer up the hole you drilled and inside the bumper run the 2nd washer and nylock nut.

You don't have to remove your bumper. Just the under tray.

Trust me, tape will not hold it up. Nor will self tapping screws.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Jesus805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 2009 e90

What about epoxy?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Mine got ripped off by some low lives on the 3rd day after install. Good luck, hopefully you have better luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
SeanS54
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
What about epoxy?
I wouldn't do that, that's too permanent for me. If the lip partially rips off, it'll be difficult getting the remainder off the bumper. Plus it'll screw up your bumper.

At least with a few holes drilled in the bottom of your bumper (which no one can see), the lip is adjustable and removeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
bmwslug
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear_335i View Post
I wouldn't do that, that's too permanent for me. If the lip partially rips off, it'll be difficult getting the remainder off the bumper. Plus it'll screw up your bumper.

At least with a few holes drilled in the bottom of your bumper (which no one can see), the lip is adjustable and removeable.
So in case anyone was wondering I bought the lip from Mod Bargains and paid for them to professionally install it. I was originally very happy with the customer service I got from Elliot over there, but the fact they messed up what I would imagine would be a pretty routine install for a shop is very disappointing. I live about an hour away from their shop and I don't really want to deal with driving all the way back. Anyway I looked at it and it is drilled at the bottom of my bumper it's the two sided tape that is loose on parts of the lip. I would expect better from a professional shop.

If anyone knows someone in the LA area that can fix this for me that they can recommend I would very much appreciate it. It's just frustrating that I will now have to pay more money to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
pjdizzle94
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwslug View Post
So in case anyone was wondering I bought the lip from Mod Bargains and paid for them to professionally install it. I was originally very happy with the customer service I got from Elliot over there, but the fact they messed up what I would imagine would be a pretty routine install for a shop is very disappointing. I live about an hour away from their shop and I don't really want to deal with driving all the way back. Anyway I looked at it and it is drilled at the bottom of my bumper it's the two sided tape that is loose on parts of the lip. I would expect better from a professional shop.

If anyone knows someone in the LA area that can fix this for me that they can recommend I would very much appreciate it. It's just frustrating that I will now have to pay more money to get it fixed.
dont know how far you live from LTMW but i can guarantee you they will do a solid job.

IG thatcarguypj
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

It doesn't look like they did anything wrong per say from the way you described it. Using self taping screws on the bottom and tape up on the top that touches the bumper should typically do the trick. Not sure that any other shop would do anything differently. The only other way to do this would be to permanently epoxy or betalink the lip onto the bumper. Risk in doing that is if you hit something on the road, its very likely that both your lip and part of your bumper will come off. Either way, you should speak to them before posting negatively here on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Urethane windshield adhesive.
Same stuff I used for my rear spoiler. Semi-permanent, and can be removed if need be.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Get the Super strong 3m double sided tape. When I installed my Performance rear spoiler by myself the first time around it was slightly off, so I opted to try pulling it back off, but it was on there so tightly I had to break out the heat gun and work it off slowly. Since putting it back on with a buddies help that thing is on there so well it does not even budge if I tug on it.
Appreciate 0