E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > What could be negative effects of installing a Race Chip?

08-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
elpablo71
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i & 2017 428i GC

What could be negative effects of installing a Race Chip?

I have a 2011 328i (new car is a 2017 428i GC). I plan on always keeping the 2011. That being the case, I do want to start having some fun with it. I'm by no means planning on doing a ton of modifications or anything, but am considering installing a race chip for the added HP. Just for fun. I've read through other posts on the topic, but not necessarily seeing what potential downsides could be. Curious if anyone could provide any feedback? Is it a bad idea? How could it screw up my car, etc.? Or is it as simple as I install the chip, have fun, and if I don't like it for whatever reason, just uninstall it? Thanks in advance.
      08-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpablo71 View Post
I have a 2011 328i (new car is a 2017 428i GC). I plan on always keeping the 2011. That being the case, I do want to start having some fun with it. I'm by no means planning on doing a ton of modifications or anything, but am considering installing a race chip for the added HP. Just for fun. I've read through other posts on the topic, but not necessarily seeing what potential downsides could be. Curious if anyone could provide any feedback? Is it a bad idea? How could it screw up my car, etc.? Or is it as simple as I install the chip, have fun, and if I don't like it for whatever reason, just uninstall it? Thanks in advance.
You're in the DIY section of this forum. Post here for more visibility:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
      08-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
wintersson
Rep
Drives: 2008 3351

I have some experience with chip tuning, so I'll give you my honest opinion. First of all, the 328i engine is not ideally suited for chip tuning. You can get some performance improvement out of it with a good chip, but the gains are going to be modest. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it . . . I just want you to have realistic expectations. That being said, if you get a good quality, reputable product like those sold by Burger Tuning, it will not damage your engine in any way, and it can be easily removed at any time if you want to return the car to stock. So I say go for it!
Appreciate 0