E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MULF2-High pinouts

08-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #45
patz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318d

Hi,

when having unlocked bluetooth functionality in my MULF2, where can I find the bluetooth passcode? There's no sticker on my MULF2 with a bluetooth key on it...

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #46
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You give it a passcode via the radio and then repeat that in the phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #47
patz
Registered
Rep

Thanks!
I hope I can get my dealer (Germany) to activate the BT functionality...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #48
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Hey all,

So I read this entire thread and though I think I have a decent idea of what I need in order to make this happen, I am still rather confused, since the people describing the process can visualize what they are talking about, but several individuals like myself have never seen any of the components spoken about.

Can one of you please just put together a DETAILED step by step process on exactly which parts are needed and where to connect them to?

I have a 2011 135i with the 6FL option (USB/Ipod), so I'm hoping this should suffice to make BT work with just a few of the components listed on this thread.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to have BT activated and working on my car!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #49
patz
Registered
Rep

Hi,

do you have Navigation Professional / Business or Radio Professional / Business?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #50
Danyell
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i 4dr Monaco Blue

Hey all, I haven't forgotten about this project... just put on hold due to refinancing home. I intend to get the car in the shop (different from before) and see if they can program the radio to allow pairing and get this BT working. May be awhile longer, but I will update when I try this last-ditch-effort.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #51
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

steps to enable bluetooth whan you have the 6FL USB (I did it works)

1) connect the hands free microphone to the mulf high (3 pins are needed + - and shield) look at the mulf pinout pdf file earlier in this tread. you will have to pass a 2 wire coax cable (micro cable) from the mulf to the steering column where to put the microphone.

2) connect the BT antenna to the mulf, you will need a 50ohm coax cable with 2 facra connectors

3) reflash the whole car, asking the dealer to tick "hands free GSM" option in the program interface.

Enjoy bluetooth for 50$, the option costs 800$
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #52
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
steps to enable bluetooth whan you have the 6FL USB (I did it works)

1) connect the hands free microphone to the mulf high (3 pins are needed + - and shield) look at the mulf pinout pdf file earlier in this tread. you will have to pass a 2 wire coax cable (micro cable) from the mulf to the steering column where to put the microphone.

2) connect the BT antenna to the mulf, you will need a 50ohm coax cable with 2 facra connectors

3) reflash the whole car, asking the dealer to tick "hands free GSM" option in the program interface.

Enjoy bluetooth for 50$, the option costs 800$
This, my friend, is amazing. I'm getting ready to do this, but there is one thing that is still a little blurry to me: I thought the microphone can be purchased from BMW and gets placed/connected inside the overhead lights section (where the map lights are)??? If so, wouldn't this eliminate the need to run a mic cable from the trunk of the car to the steering column?

Lastly, since you made it work already, can you PLEASE just compile a short list of exactly what I need and part numbers to make this happen on a car with 6FL? This thread contains quite a bit of information and it seems like people have to attempted to go about it in multiple ways. I wouldn't want to buy too many parts, and certainly, I wouldn't want to miss any necessary ones.

Thanks a million!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #53
marconi118
Major
Rep

ok then details:

1) there is no cable that goes from the micro location on the overhead lights section to the mulf2 module in the trunk (at least not for my car)

So I find it easier to pass the extra mic cable from the MULF2 to the steering column, where I fixed the mic, near the dashboard.

2) there is no coax cable for the bluetooth antenna from mulf2
I located the BT antenna near the mulf2 in the trunk using a 10Mc cable home-made, you will have to find a cable with 2 FACRA connectors

microphone: 84316938762
BT antenna: 84506928461
3 pins for the mulf2 connector
mic cable
coax with facra connectors
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #54
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ok then details:

1) there is no cable that goes from the micro location on the overhead lights section to the mulf2 module in the trunk (at least not for my car)

So I find it easier to pass the extra mic cable from the MULF2 to the steering column, where I fixed the mic, near the dashboard.

2) there is no coax cable for the bluetooth antenna from mulf2
I located the BT antenna near the mulf2 in the trunk using a 10Mc cable home-made, you will have to find a cable with 2 FACRA connectors

microphone: 84316938762
BT antenna: 84506928461
3 pins for the mulf2 connector
mic cable
coax with facra connectors
You da man! I just placed an order for the parts...hopefully I'll be able to get this working like you did, and I also hope that the fact that I have a 1 series and not a 3 series does not matter.

Also, where did you get the 3 pins for the mulf2, the mic cable, and the coax? Just wondering if these are parts that can be easily had. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #55
marconi118
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
You da man! I just placed an order for the parts...hopefully I'll be able to get this working like you did, and I also hope that the fact that I have a 1 series and not a 3 series does not matter.

Also, where did you get the 3 pins for the mulf2, the mic cable, and the coax? Just wondering if these are parts that can be easily had. Thanks!
connector pins are BMW specific, ask the dealer, but I dont have the part N°, maybe you can find it out on www.realoem.com
the coax for the antenna exists from BMW with these FACRA connectors, you will have to ask the dealer or find at realoem.com, I used an home-made cable

the mic cable comes from the electronic shop, it is simple 2 wire shield cable commonly used for stage micros...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #56
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
connector pins are BMW specific, ask the dealer, but I dont have the part N°, maybe you can find it out on www.realoem.com
the coax for the antenna exists from BMW with these FACRA connectors, you will have to ask the dealer or find at realoem.com, I used an home-made cable

the mic cable comes from the electronic shop, it is simple 2 wire shield cable commonly used for stage micros...
I just went to pick up all the parts! The only thing missing is the antenna coax cable, which is on order and will be arriving on Tuesday. Finally, before I start, I read all over this thread again, and I noticed someone mentioned something about swapping mic cables behind the glovebox?!? Not sure what that refers to and is it necessary?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #57
mattsten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Definitely give a step by step and pictures if possible. I am curious how this goes....so you were able to source all of the cables needed or did you have to "make" some?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #58
Danyell
Rep

I'm the person who made the statement about the mic wires behind the glovebox. When I was digging how to do this, I found a thread (somewhere) that stated the following (if you have the preinstalled mic connector hanging loose in the overhead map console): The wires from the mic connector go across the headliner and down the right pillar (setting in the passenger seat, this is the pillar that goes down the right side of the front windshield). This is the difficult part... you have to remove the entire glovebox, including glovebox door. Looking into the removed glovebox area, you will see a fusebox. Way over to the right (where the pillar comes down), you will see a white 2x5 connector with only a few wires passing thru it. Notice the wires going in one side of the connector (I'll call this the male end), they do not align with the wires coming out the other side (female connector end), they do not matchup! So, when the male and female connectors pieces are connected, the wires in both pieces make no connection. You have to 1. disconnect the connector 2. remove the black wire and red wire from one of the connectors 3. move the black and red wires into position so that they will continue the circuit when the male/female connectors are reconnected.
Be carefull when trying to get the wires out of the connector! BMW uses a really unique connector that takes some ingenuity to get the pins out without tearing the connector all to pieces. I had to use two tools at the same time in order to release each pin from it's connector position. Once you get this part done, when you enter a voice command you will notice it hears you, but cannot complete the command because the function is not available (normal, until you get the radio programmed).
At time of this writing, BMW is attempting to code my radio. We'll see how they make out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #59
Danyell
Rep

An addition to my last post... If you are handy with a volt/ohm meter, I strongly suggest checking continuity of the wires to make sure you are working with the proper wires. Before connecting the mic: 1. Check continuity at the connector in the glovebox area... it should show "open" (very high resistance - ohms) 2. short the wires at the mic connector end and recheck continuity... it should show 0 ohms (or short). 3. Do the same for the mic wires going to your trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #60
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyell View Post
An addition to my last post... If you are handy with a volt/ohm meter, I strongly suggest checking continuity of the wires to make sure you are working with the proper wires. Before connecting the mic: 1. Check continuity at the connector in the glovebox area... it should show "open" (very high resistance - ohms) 2. short the wires at the mic connector end and recheck continuity... it should show 0 ohms (or short). 3. Do the same for the mic wires going to your trunk space.
Nice. Thank you for clarifying! Based on this, I will not have to go through this process since my car does not come with a prewired mic. I however face another challenge. I have to run wires from the trunk to the front and find a spot for the mic other than the overhead console since it seems like it would be hell to run wires up there.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes! I'll be working on mine this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #61
Danyell
Rep

!!! SUCCESS !!!

BT and voice (English), using steering wheel controls.. now working!!

The guys at Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC are Great! They did not give up!
So, not yet having talked to the actual person who did the programming, here's what I believe it takes and how this works.... (hope to get the skinny later)
When the programmer is plugged up, somewhere within the system the VID is read which tells the programmer which options are available for that particular vehicle. So, not having the BT option in my car to begin with, does not provide the selection to run and enable BT. HOWEVER, somehow those glorious guys found a way to use a VIN from another vehicle that had the BT option and got the coder to think they were programming that car. I made a call to my wife's cell phone after pairing my old RAZR... and it worked as expected.
They left a paperwork in the car that showed another BMW with the available "SA" options. They had option SA644 highlighted on the paper.

<All of this came with a statement by the servicer>
By programming for this option, we can not ensure all other options for your vehicle still function. We ran a quick check and did not notice anything malfunctioning. If you notice loss of any function, we can return your program to original, in which case your BT will not work.

I'd like to say a very (tears in my eyes here) special thanks to those who contributed to threads that allowed me to make the proper modifications that made getting this function enabled at a fraction of the dealer's actual install cost (~$700USD). Now I can make and take calls from the steering wheel controls, hands free! Just wish there was a way to mute/unmute, hands free.

FYI, In my previous threads, the mic wire colors in my previous note was wrong. They are Yellow and Black.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #62
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would like to do this. I do NOT have 6FL USB

can anyone tell me where to start to do THAT retrofit first? I have seen the PDF once before, but I do not know whether my car has SA640 Phone Prep???, which determines IIRC which retrofit kit is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #63
mattsten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Nice. Thank you for clarifying! Based on this, I will not have to go through this process since my car does not come with a prewired mic. I however face another challenge. I have to run wires from the trunk to the front and find a spot for the mic other than the overhead console since it seems like it would be hell to run wires up there.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes! I'll be working on mine this weekend.
Any update on your install?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #64
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsten View Post
Any update on your install?
As much as I want to get this done, I have not been very productive since there are a few things I want to get out of the way first:

1) I took off the overhead console and realized that where the mic would go, there is a piece of plastic in its place, which it doesn't seem to be removable. In short, I think I found a way to route the mic wiring from the trunk to the overhead console but I want make sure I can place the mic there first. Else I'll have to resort to what others have been doing and place it by the dash. My other option would be to buy the overhead console of a car with BMW assist and that should have a mic or an empty spot for a mic, but I want to see if I can make mine work first.

2) I purchase a 25ft mic wire and I'm going to solder all connectors to the mic cable instead of using just tape, in order to be safe and have a steady signal.

Once I get this out of the way, I'll route the wiring, connect all components and pay 125 bucks to my dealer to have the car programmed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #65
jayjayrs
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Did you have any joy with this??

I retrofitted the USB today and the phone appeared in my menu too, so I want to add a mic and the bluetooth antenna, but not sure what the pins for the mic are.
Hi,

Interesting...
So if I understand well, you didn't have neither usb nor bluetooth in your car and you wanted to retrofit USB.
You installed and wired the MULF2 HIGH and you got your mulf2 coded for USB by an autologic or BMW dealer.
And then your bluetooth worked as well !!!!???

Good news for me because I've been unsuccessfully trying for months to retrofit Bluetooth with no USB (I don't have the USB wires) with a second hand MULF2 HIGH, and my BMW dealer never could code it (i think he only tried to code for SA644)
But considering your post I'm going to ask him to code for SA6FL (even without the USB wires) and my bluetooth may work!!!

What do you reckon?
Thanks

Last edited by jayjayrs; 12-17-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #66
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

My radio was used and came from a car with USB and Bluetooth already.
I would always get the USB retrofit kit and code for that first, then add bluetooth as well.
Appreciate 0