E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Plastidip questions

11-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Plasti Dip only looks half way in highly edited photos on the internet (that car above does not look good IMO but I hate flat black paint jobs too so). It always looks like shit in person, I have seen hundreds of dipped cars. And removing it is a horrendous job, just ask anyone who has actually removed it on any large scale. and the idea that it is better when it is applied professionally is bullshit.
...again, not all peelable products are flat, there higher end products that are glossy and look just like paint...and if you experienced difficulty while removing it, you simply did not apply it thick/enough coats. So, knowing what one is doing, with the right product, it can, and does, look good.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

I know they are not all flat and again, any detailer, paint shop, etc that has had to remove it, hates it. Sure sometimes it is easy to remove in certain areas, but most of the time on full jobs it is not and there are sections that are horrible to remove. It is shit.
      11-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
You're getting shitty advice by people who don't know shit...how ironic. PlastiDip can look great, plus there are several lines of quality within the dip product line, some that look just like modern paint/clear coat, yet are still peel-able. It's just like anything else, the quality of the product and the skill of the person applying it are what matters. It often looks bad because people don't take the time to prep and learn how to use it properly...just like paint...just like a wrap...BTW, if someone thinks a $400 dip job will look worse than a $6-700 wrap they're smoking the good stuff.

A word of advice, don't ask this kind of stuff on a forum full of high and mighty BMW owners who feel the need to look down on those who own Hondas. It's your car, your money, do as you wish. If you need advice on the product itself, seek sources that deal with the subject.
FYI, I don't look down on people who own Honda's I laugh at people who buy old shitty Honda's and do exactly what you stated in your post; don't have the knowledge or take the time to put in the prep work. As for "getting shitty advice from people who don't know shit" again.... I've used a ton of plastidip, this is exactly why I gave the advice that I did and before you go back to your statement above, I've detailed cars professionally for about 7 years now. I'll battle wits with you about what I know versus what you know all day long.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #26
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
FYI, I don't look down on people who own Honda's I laugh at people who buy old shitty Honda's and do exactly what you stated in your post; don't have the knowledge or take the time to put in the prep work. As for "getting shitty advice from people who don't know shit" again.... I've used a ton of plastidip, this is exactly why I gave the advice that I did and before you go back to your statement above, I've detailed cars professionally for about 7 years now. I'll battle wits with you about what I know versus what you know all day long.
I love old Hondas and Corollas they are built like tanks. I have seen some really nicely moded Hondas but unfortunately most of the modded Hondas out there are the "Pep Boys Special".
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I love old Hondas and Corollas they are built like tanks. I have seen some really nicely moded Hondas but unfortunately most of the modded Hondas out there are the "Pep Boys Special".
I don't disagree with you at all, my best friends wife swears by them and has bought them for her entire family with no issue; but we aren't talking about 91 civics with aluminum wings and plastidipped wheels (in either pink, yellow or red).
Appreciate 1
Delta03117475.50
      11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #28
9krpmrx8
Rep

Hondas are awesome and almost two decades ago I was racing them when they got little respect. But single overhead cam naturally aspirated Hondas run 9's and have for a while. There is only one fully built N54 is in the 9's so let's not get too high on that horse.
      11-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hondas are awesome and almost two decades ago I was racing them when they got little respect. But single overhead cam naturally aspirated Hondas run 9's and have for a while. There is only one fully built N54 is in the 9's so let's not get too high on that horse.
I could care less what they run. Still wouldn't buy a Honda over a BMW, nor will my laughter at those who buy $1k Honda's and cover them in plastidip stop anytime soon.

As far as high horses go. I drive a 10 year old 335i man. It's not like I drive brand new M or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #30
9krpmrx8
Rep

Cool story. I'd take a lot of Hondas over a lot of BMW's.
      11-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #31
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Laugh all you want...and why would I go back on my statement? I've also used a ton of plastdip and my experience with it coming off is different than yours, so what "witt" would you like to battle?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all, my best friends wife swears by them and has bought them for her entire family with no issue; but we aren't talking about 91 civics with aluminum wings and plastidipped wheels (in either pink, yellow or red).
... but, why? Why do you give a shit and why do you feel you need to make that opinion public? It's their car and they're doing what they want with the funds they have. Not to mention that I've also got a buddy who makes bank, he's a legitimate millionaire, yet drives what most would call a ratty Corolla that's plastidipped as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #33
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Laugh all you want...and why would I go back on my statement? I've also used a ton of plastdip and my experience with it coming off is different than yours, so what "witt" would you like to battle?
I didn't say go back on your statement. I said "go back to your statement above" referring to your comment of "the quality of the product and the skill of the person applying it are what matters. It often looks bad because people don't take the time to prep and learn how to use it properly."

I guess I have no wit to battle with you oh mighty plastidip king.

Quote:
... but, why? Why do you give a shit and why do you feel you need to make that opinion public? It's their car and they're doing what they want with the funds they have. Not to mention that I've also got a buddy who makes bank, he's a legitimate millionaire, yet drives what most would call a ratty Corolla that's plastidipped as a daily.
Why do I give a shit about what? OP posted a question and I replied as did most everyone else on this thread. This is a forum, it's what we do. Happy for your buddy. The thing with people that have money is that they don't spend it on frivolous things. If he is happy with driving a plastidipped Corolla, good for him and good for you for being friends with him. What exactly is it that you expect the end result of this exchange to be? Are you trying to prove that you are right and someone else is wrong because one of the members on here wants to plastidip and my opinion was no? He asked for opinions and he got them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #34
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cool story. I'd take a lot of Hondas over a lot of BMW's.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I too would drive other cars instead of other cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #35
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Clearly, I expect too much. Thanks for adding to what already sucks about forums.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #36
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Clearly, I expect too much. Thanks for adding to what already sucks about forums.
You're welcome.

This coming from a guy whose only insight on the topic of the thread is to talk about how great of a product plastidip is.

What you didn't see, behind the scenes was my emailing technical data and maintenance info to the OP about how to maintain certain functionality to his car and advice on how to save money by doing a vinyl wrap himself along with detailed instructions on how to do it. As you stated I am clearly what sucks about forums. What have you done to help this situation other than trying to make claims of getting shitty advice from people who don't know anything. Seems that you may be what it is that you speak about in reference to forums being shitty. I actually helped the guy save money. You're effort in this was to simply point out that people don't know anything and give shitty advice without knowing what it is that people do actually know.

Thanks for being the guy that solidifies your own point.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #37
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

This is about as entertaining as watching 2 people argue politics. You think I'm an idiot, I think you're an idiot, I'm fine with calling it even. There's much better ways to spend my evening.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's awesome. I work in engineering and the guy that plastidips cars calls me an idiot.
Appreciate 0