E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2006 320i rear tail light issues

12-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Elite90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Unhappy 2006 320i rear tail light issues

Hi all, first time poster here from Ireland,
New to the BMW fraternity.

Purchased this 2006 320i Msport about a year ago. Absolutely love the car and now find it hard to drive anything else.

Anyway, car had its NCT (MOT equivalent) last week and the only thing it failed on was the rear tail lights,as there are not the same pattern on both sides. See the first picture : left side appears to be ok, but the right hand side the break light is continuously on.

Name:  parkers.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  510.9 KB

The break light comes on on the bottom row.

Name:  brake lights .jpg
Views: 984
Size:  505.3 KB

I have checked the bulbs and despite some being a bit black none are blown and work when put into different holders.

I have tested the bulb holders with a multi-meter and all seems to be fine.

I have also checked the fuse behind the glove box and they were not blown (I think i was checking the right ones, the identification card wasn't located in the glove box).

Any ideas on what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated. Not really sure where to go from here!

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

The module which controls lighting in your car (FRM) has a function whereby if a short circuit is detected it will (after a certain number of cycles) switch off power to that bulb.

This short circuit counter has to be reset with tool32 and the hardware (likely faulty bulb or wiring) replaced.

I'm not saying it's 100% the problem but is possible. You need to read the fault codes from the car to confirm. Carly app and a WiFi obd2 adapter is a good option. Or even better buy a DCAN cable and install BMW Standard Tools.

Also, sometimes the connecter to the cluster becomes loose, have you tried pushing the connector in a bit harder?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:13 AM   #3
Elite90
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply,

I dont think the connector to the cluster is the problem but I will give another check.

I will buy the fault code reader to see what its throwing up.

Is it difficult to have the circuit reset? Is it expensive to buy the reset tool/ software? I enjoy working on cars so don't mind spending a few quid on diagnostics equipment and I do plan on keeping the motor for a few years.

I will keep people updated on my progress.
Thanks again for replying.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

this happened on my e46...i did the earth mod and cured it,,google earth wire mod,its basically a new earth wire spliced into the old earth then grounded out with a spade on the wire and connected nto the bulb holder plate
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Elite90
Registered
Rep

Hi again, In an attempt to read the fault codes I have bought the following DKAN cable and software
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192582918284?ul_noapp=true

but cant seem to download the software, tried on 3 seperate laptops. I have tried searching the site and there are multiple tutorials on how to install but most seem very complicated ? Is there a simple version of BMW tools that you just click download rather than having to follow multiple steps and change folders etc?

Would I be better just buy a code reader with inbuilt screen attached? I do intend to try and get my head around the coding side of things, however, I don't have the time for it at the moment.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
Elite90
Registered
Rep

Just an update to let anyone else that was having similar issues. I had to get the Footwell Module repaired and have had no issues with the rear lights since !

Im going to try and get up to speed with downloading the software to go with my K+DKan cable next!

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Appreciate 0