E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ARM 7” Intecooler and VRSF 7” intecooler comaprison info

12-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
It's a knock off with an inferior fin pack. Terry's getting a bit desperate now that there's no longer a need for piggy backs with MHD around.

The VRSF 7.5" Race FMIC has proven itself dozens of times, with multiple world records including Motiv's 1100whp race car that currently holds the N54 record and Simply Tuning's 9 second shop car.
What? Desperate? Get down from your high horse! With almost every car manufacturer having a turbo engine now Terry Jb4 business is booming.
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      12-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #24
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Could be another person with identical name. Not all that uncommon. Anyhow, I have had only possible experience with ARM products, IC and DP.

Yeah well I tried researching and the Andy guy is in the Midwest and ARM is based out of California and a corporate record search does not show him involved with ARM in any way. However, his name is uncommon and he does email on behalf of ARM so it could be him working for them, but I have not seen any evidence that he is the owner or corporate officer.

I mean if he is a crook then fuck him, but personally I have not seen these dozens of people he has ripped off and everything I have seen from ARM in terms of customer service has been stellar.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 12-06-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
9krpmrx8
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
What? Desperate? Get down from your high horse! With almost every car manufacturer having a turbo engine now Terry Jb4 business is booming.

The vender bashing on the platform is so disappointing.
feuer4275.50
      12-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #26
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Tiago has been claiming his VRSF knockoff china products were better than ARM china knockoff products for years... It's only now that I will admit that they are better since VRSF finally offers higher density cores on them. Not that that makes up for the years of bs he spewed to push the VRSF name. Now he's doubling down because he actually does finally offer a halfway decent product lololol The new VRSF 7" HD core damn well better be better than the ARM intercooler...

As for OPs comparison, it's a horrible attempt at using data to support an assertion. He basically ended up saying: "ARM intercooler sucks because when I used it my car was always broken." then dick rides VRSF "OMG WOW GUYS I finally fixed my car; therefore, VRSF intercoolers > All*".
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #27
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
It's only now that I will admit that they are better since VRSF finally offers higher density cores on them.
As for OPs comparison, it's a horrible attempt at using data to support an assertion.
High fin density is helpful in slowing air flow, increasing heat exchange, but to an extent and at a cost (psi drop, increased resistance to name a couple).

Phoenix and VSRF are comparable units based on price and function.
I didn't have time to watch the videos, but I read your summation as sufficient... And based on design the ARM and VSRF are distinctly different.

Quote:
The VRSF 7.5" Race FMIC has proven itself dozens of times, with multiple world records including Motiv's 1100whp race car that currently holds the N54 record and Simply Tuning's 9 second shop car.
Records are not evidence of superiority but rather endorsement. I am happy you for you.

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #28
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNick View Post
High fin density is helpful in slowing air flow, increasing heat exchange, but to an extent and at a cost (psi drop, increased resistance to name a couple).
Yes, that is a big part of my argument for NOT putting a 4x larger than stock inter-cooler onto the car. Cool, you can ride ambient IATs across a pull... What does that do for you? You just don't need that much IAT suppression. Keeping IATs to a 20-30f rise is perfectly fine and won't affect overall power much if at all. If you're struggling with IATs that much maybe consider not over-spinning stock turbos lol
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #29
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Yes, that is a big part of my argument for NOT putting a 4x larger than stock inter-cooler onto the car. Cool, you can ride ambient IATs across a pull... What does that do for you? You just don't need that much IAT suppression. Keeping IATs to a 20-30f rise is perfectly fine and won't affect overall power much if at all. If you're struggling with IATs that much maybe consider not over-spinning stock turbos lol
When I ran stocker ~20psi on e65 I saw similar IAT deltas as with larger turbos ~20psi on 93. I'm not sure about over-spinning.

These larger FMIC options allow less resistance (better flow) while having more fins. Additionally, they act as a better heat sink, so they stay colder longer, which is perfect for your 800whp+ application; It just needs to stay cool for 1/4 or 1/2 a mile...

I am seeing 10-20F with DD unless in stop and go traffic. After a multiple gear pull the delta is as high as ~40F, which certainly affects my power. I see worse IAT and efficiency with oil build up too. I think if you clean your FMIC you might see improvements. The 5" is stepped? I think the stepped design is better...

JDang

The strip is terrible for IATs no matter what size FMIC you have, it will heat up and stay hot, once you stop moving. No air flows thru the FMIC, thus no immediate heat dissipation. The designs used for most of the E series have a large core in terms of depth (don't get me started), which is unable to fully utilize the radiator fan, so it struggles to cool off when not moving. Additionally, from an airflow standpoint the M-sport bumper blocks a ton of direct airflow from reaching the bottom aspect of the FMIC.

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #30
9krpmrx8
Rep

Nah bros, you need the biggest FMIC you can fit with the mostest densist corez evar.
      01-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #31
J_Spool
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i E60 535i

Man... it’s been a while since I’ve logged back in... what I miss? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDang View Post
I'm happy with my ARM 5" Intercooler. I feel as if ARM should have included the upgraded hoses with the kit instead of making it an option with in turn some people skip out on.

Fitment was good and it performs flawlessly as long as it's been installed correctly.

Recently I went down to the local strip for drag racing and I found where this intercooler falls short. Repeated pulls back to back will kill this intercooler, or perhaps I'm pushing too much power for this small intercooler, I'm at roughly 440whp.

Daily driving with some pulls - this intercooler is fine, but I definitely need to upgrade to the VRSF Race intercooler to reduce IATs since I've recently developed a passion for drag racing.
Arm 5" stepped intercoolers come from factory with the connection for stock BMW tubing, as the 5" is mean as a direct bolt replacement. 7" is meant as a big upgrade for big turbo's and has a proper fitting for after market tubing upgrades.

The ARM after market upgrade hoses places a significant amount of pipe on the intake side of the engine, and the inlet side it mounts so far up onto the 5" stepped factory designed connector that you can just use clamps to hold your hose in place.

There are so many versions of this intercooler out there and SOME actually have a proper connector so you can slide over silicone upgrade tubes and have a lump to retain the cubing/clip properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #33
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Not much

I feel that no hose should be clamped on top of the OEM style connector, though if it works I guess it works.

the 7" VRSF has a more suitable connector, basically a lip, so silicone has something to be trained by.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #34
MooreBoost
Stand-up Philosopher
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
I feel that no hose should be clamped on top of the OEM style connector, though if it works I guess it works.

the 7" VRSF has a more suitable connector, basically a lip, so silicone has something to be trained by.
I think he was more so pointing out how much it necks down after the connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Just a comment, intercoolers are not expensive in the grand scheme of things and upgrades.

There is no reason to use a less performing knock off with questionable fitment vs. VRSF. My VRSF race works amazing and every VRSF intercooler I have installed on friend's cars have performed flawlessly.

VRSF are the go to for many parts on this platform. Right price for the performance.
Appreciate 0