E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Can an Electrician Setup a Patch Panel?

05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Can an Electrician Setup a Patch Panel?

A little off-topic here,

but I am building an office and wanted to have the electrician run the networking cables and conduits which I know he can do. That sort of pissed off the networking guy and said he also has to setup the patch panel then.

Is setting up a networking patch panel a normal request for an electrician to do?

Either way, the IT guy is getting fired, I just wanted to know if electricians normally run into doing this.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

The person pulling the cables (your electrician in this case) would be the one to terminate them to your patch panels, and test connectivity from one end to the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

electricians can. for patch panels its not terminating the cables you need to use a punch down tool. it's not rocket science since these days they are color coded on the patch panels.

As a IT professional I would be happy if the electrician ran the cables lol... then all you have to do is the patch panel test and done...

talk to your electrician and see if he is comfortable with networking wires. its just 8 wires in a sequence and doesn't take that much time to complete. it's the testing that takes the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
bolty
/r/trees
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
electricians can. for patch panels its not terminating the cables you need to use a punch down tool.
lol wut.

You either terminate them with rj45 connectors, or terminate them at the the patch panel (which are just connectors anyways).

By your logic, would you say "da electric man punched downed da patch panel"?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
lol wut.

You either terminate them with rj45 connectors, or terminate them at the the patch panel (which are just connectors anyways).

By your logic, would you say "da electric man punched downed da patch panel"?
lol in all honesty i've never learned official terms and ways to do the job. but i've been doing it for a few years... when using a patch panel I more go towards ones like these:

and use a 110 punch down tool to connect. I'm a unix admin I only do networking when the networking guys F things up.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
bolty
/r/trees
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
lol in all honesty i've never learned official terms and ways to do the job. but i've been doing it for a few years... when using a patch panel I more go towards ones like these:

and use a 110 punch down tool to connect. I'm a unix admin I only do networking when the networking guys F things up.
to the unix admins lol.

Its always better to get one guy to do it from end to end - for accountability. I spent 15 years at one of the big telcos. I know how to play the blame game
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
SamanthaClarkson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

hey guys I know this is a very old thread and I am sorry for bumping but I am having some electrical problems with my car (I have a X3 2012) so I would love some advice
Appreciate 0