E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bluetooth Music

06-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
e92dallinlh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Bluetooth Music

So recently I have gotten a new e92, seems to be the newer version of the 2009 335xi because my old 2009 335xi was a little different.

Here's my frustration:
My bluetooth adapter (Bovee Tune2Air) worked perfectly on my old 335xi. It had the USB and AUX plugin right next to each other and it would plug in there and I could use my steering wheel controls and everything.

The new car I just got, is having some issues with this same bluetooth adapter. It does not have the USB plugin next to the AUX, so I have put a cigarette lighter charge-port in there to plug the USB part into. The songs can not be skipped with the steering wheel controls, and on my screen it shows up as "AUX" instead of showing the song.

On my old car, it would pop up my phone as a whole new section on the "Multimedia" but this new car does not and stays under "AUX".

So how do I fix this? Can it be fixed? Is there a way I can change the AUX port socket to a USB AUX-in socket for it to work?

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Your old car had a MULF2 Hi in the trunk which provided the usb interface and was also connected to the aux wiring in the armrest. This allowed your steering wheel buttons to communicated with your device. Your current car has an aux connection directly to the back of the radio which is audio only.

A MULF2 HI retrofit is not difficult. Especially if you have bluetooth phone functionality. The tune2air can live in the trunk to save on wiring to the arm rest.

If you have i-drive, a full combox retrofit is also an option. You won't need the tune2air with that. Both of these options require moving pins in connectors and coding.
Appreciate 1
Thorin117.50
      06-25-2020, 01:04 AM   #3
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

The easiest fix is to use a CD Changer adapter. It requires install in the trunk using the existing wiring (including optical in), remapping the optical/MOST connectors behind the rear seat bolster, and coding to add CDC to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #4
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
The easiest fix is to use a CD Changer adapter. It requires install in the trunk using the existing wiring (including optical in), remapping the optical/MOST connectors behind the rear seat bolster, and coding to add CDC to the car.
I have the same issue as OP, but I have a 6 CD Changer. Don't you loose the CD changer functionality if you replace your MULF with MULF2 module and code it to CDC?

Of-course you also need the cable retro-kit to connect the armrest with a USB and AUX port to the back of the new MULF 2 unit.

I bought a 2nd hand MULF 2 HI module off ebay from a wrecker that guaranteed the module worked but the connector is different to the original MULF currently installed in the car.

I think this process is quite involved in getting the following correct gear to get it to work:

1. A new module MULF 2 HI
2. A plug and play new harness for the MULF 2 HI module.
3. A retro-fit kit for AUX and USB for armrest.
4. An extention cable / USB to connect armrest to MULF2 HI module.
5. Bluetooth kit (if the car doesn't already have one.
6. Coding the car with the new options which add's the USB, AUX, Bluetooth. Also the MULF2 HI module needs to be coded with the vehicles VIN. But I am unsure if you loose the existing 6 CD changer (quite possibly) but I didn't get this confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499808
The only downside is the interface is kind of wonky.

Cheap solution but you loose the cd changer but I don't know
why you would want it when you can load many more songs
on a usb stick and it won't fail mechanically .

Dension makes a device like this that retains the cdc but it's much
more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499808
The only downside is the interface is kind of wonky.

Cheap solution but you loose the cd changer but I don't know
why you would want it when you can load many more songs
on a usb stick and it won't fail mechanically .

Dension makes a device like this that retains the cdc but it's much
more expensive.
Just do this, I did it. Yeah the interface is "wonky" but its irrelevant. Those ebay boxes auto-connect to a paired phone so the interface is a one-shot deal. I cant recall the last time I actually even touched the stereo face. I choose and start the album/station on my phone and then just use the buttons the wheel for volume/skipping tracks.

Game over. Audio quality is a hell of a lot better than any AUX BS, connection has been rock solid, wheel controls work and I even get the song on the radio screen (not that it matters since I put a phone mount in my now pointless CD slot, it still functions I just dont use it).

Id only spring for the Denison model (costs 4.5x as much) if they supported advanced audio codecs or some sort of features but they dont, its just a fancier version than the ebay ones. The interface even looks the same.

Last edited by ryan stewart; 06-26-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Still trying to figure out why my MOST Bluetooth box doesn't display the songs on the screen. Won't work with anything.