E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 no speed on cluster

03-20-2022, 04:05 AM   #1
username_unknown
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Lightbulb E90 no speed on cluster

Hi guys.
I am here with a weird one.
My e90 decided for some reasons to stop showing me the speed in the cluster and with that, beautiful Christmas lights appeared on dash, DSC, Seatbelts, break etc.
I have checked the sensors and found rear left sensor not working.
My question to you guys is as follows, is the cluster getting the speed from abs sensors found on wheels? I have had a mechanic telling me the speed is actually read from the gearbox and not from wheels. If that is the case I am in for a treat. I do need to replace the oil and seals inside as I get rough gear shifts from time to time and a fancy “Gearbox malfunction” error. (auto gearbox)
Thanks

PS: i have read some codes but most related to this faulty sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Your mechanic is wrong.

The speed comes from one of the rear wheel speed (ABS) sensors. Can’t remember which one but sounds like it’s the one that’s failed for you. I believe it is checked for plausibility against another reference point—another sensor I think, or perhaps it’s gearbox output speed—but ultimately it comes from a wheel speed sensor.
      03-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
username_unknown
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Thank you very much for your reply. In fairness he did said that it might be that but wasn’t sure about it.
I will get them suckers replaced and enjoy again my cruise control and the ability to see my speed.
Thank you
Appreciate 0