E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > NEED HELP, been chasing elelectrical issues for months

04-08-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
acrapse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335i

NEED HELP, been chasing elelectrical issues for months

So I have a 2007 335i coupe and I am about to the end of my nerve with this car. I have an electrical issue somewhere that I cant find and it is making the car run very rough and misfire from startup and ik the injectors are good they are new index 12s. I have had the battery and alternator replaced, the b+ cable has been replaced and all the fuses in the glove box are good I checked them all. Still though I got in it this morning to see if it would power up and my dash, idrive, radio, and heated seats dont work at all along with some other things. I am confused why they dont work is it possibly I need to reset something? Also when the car would run It would run good down the road normally but it would have a weird idle like it was about to stall and then rev itself back up. Not bad but enough to get my attention and when I tried to do a pull my dash lit up and the car misfired hense a short somewhere. I need some help on what this could possibly be as I am losing faith in getting this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 09:18 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

We would like to help, but we need to know:

1) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? MANY electrical changes 3/1/2007 in middle of 2007 Model Run.

2) What Fault Codes are read in DME (Engine Control Module), and in ALL other Modules? If NO Scan Tool, you can get Codes read FREE at Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc.

3) Do YOU have any Scan Tool or diagnostic software (INPA/ISTA) available? If so, Make/Model of Tool?

4) What is current status of car? Does it Crank? Fire/Run? What SPECIFIC systems do NOT function properly (Instrument Cluster/ Climate Control Panel/ Lights?

5) If you do NOT have a Multimeter, you NEED to get a simple meter to read Voltage & Resistance/Continuity ($7 to $10):
https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ter-59434.html
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multimete...f=nb_sb_noss_1

6) If engine currently RUNS, what Warning Lights appear on Instrument Cluster ten (10) seconds AFTER engine Start?

Since you can't see Electrons, MINIMUM Tool required is cheap Multimeter, to test Voltage and Continuity of wiring. A Basic Entry-Level Scan Tool such as the Autel 319 ($28) can read Fault Codes, Live data, & Freeze Frame data in the DME (but NOT other Modules), in your 335i and ALL vehicles sold in US since 1996:
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLin...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

With answers to questions above, we can suggest NEXT Steps.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:06 AM   #3
acrapse
United_States
Rep

1- The last 7 digits of the vin are PO38037
2- There are no fault codes that I can see I scanned it with my jb4 and showed no codes, I also scanned with carly and had none
3- The jb4 and carly are my main diagnostic tools
4- The car will start with a jump but instantly misfires and idles rough so I dont keep it running for long. The dash,idrive, heated seats,radio and windows dont work that ik of it could be more. I did jump the car on the battery itself which I just read could possibly fry the module on top of the battery? I do have a multimeter also.
6- The only lights on the dash after it running for 10 seconds are the dcs, abs and the park prake light no cel. At this point im so lost with what to even look for.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:17 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrapse View Post
1- The last 7 digits of the vin are PO38037
2- There are no fault codes that I can see I scanned it with my jb4 and showed no codes, I also scanned with carly and had none
3- The jb4 and carly are my main diagnostic tools
4- The car will start with a jump but instantly misfires and idles rough so I dont keep it running for long. The dash,idrive, heated seats,radio and windows dont work that ik of it could be more. I did jump the car on the battery itself which I just read could possibly fry the module on top of the battery? I do have a multimeter also.
6- The only lights on the dash after it running for 10 seconds are the dcs, abs and the park prake light no cel. At this point im so lost with what to even look for.
Are you able to log voltage? Dying alternators or voltage regulators will cause some very strange symptoms on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:22 AM   #5
acrapse
United_States
Rep

It has a brand new battery and alternator so ik its not those I thought so also.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 11:33 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrapse View Post
... P038037; no fault codes... with my jb4 and... with carly; car will start with a jump but instantly misfires and idles rough... The dash,idrive, heated seats,radio and windows dont work... have a multimeter... only lights on the dash after it running for 10 seconds are the dcs, abs and the park brake light no cel...
Best to Jump Start at Jumpstart Terminals under hood, as you CAN damage IBS on (-) Battery Terminal if Jumpstart there. I'm NOT familiar with JB4 or Carly. My understanding is that Carly is supposed to be able to read Fault Codes in ALL Modules, AND list all Modules in vehicle that it can "connect" to (Modules which are communicating). You MAY have to Disconnect something related to JB4 to get Carly to function.

ANYONE with JB4 who can clarify What/Anything to disconnect?

QUESTIONS:
1) What happens/ does NOT Happen, when you try to Start WITHOUT Jumper Cables? Measure Voltage in (2) / (3) BEFORE jumping, AFTER trying to Start.
2) What is Voltage measured with Multimeter at Jumpstart Terminals?
3) What is Voltage measured with Multimeter at Battery POSTS (in center of Battery Terminal Connectors)?
4) How were you Jumpstarting before? Using Booster Battery Pack or another vehicle with engine Running?
5) Is there a difference in what happens IF you apply jumper cables at Jumpstart Terminals under Hood? If so, please describe.
6) Can either JB4 or Carly display Low Pressure Fuel Pressure, AND Rail Pressure (HPFP pressure) as Live Data?
7) Can EITHER Activate Low Pressure Fuel Pump? If so, what Parameters (such as pump speed or flow rate) are displayed?
8) If you have the DSC/ABS warning lights you describe, there should be Fault Code(s) in DSC Fault Memory. Codes?
9) NO SES or Half-Engine Warning Lights on Instrument Cluster?

This is just one of multiple steps to Diagnose the issue. Please be patient & provide as much Data as possible.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:08 AM   #7
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330i n53

Also in a similar situation and looking for help debugging the start up signal as I've tried to follow all the other one of your threads. Any pointers on how to debug the T15 start up signal
With ista inpa or BMW protool, is the a way to activate or debug that wake up signal?

(Opened a new post with just that question if this post is not suitable to answer on)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 04:52 PM   #8
acrapse
United_States
Rep

1- The car will not start without jumper cables it will turn on all accessory lights but everything dies when going to start.
2- Multimeter reads 13.6V at both ends on the battery and under the hood.
4- Was jumpstarting with a jumper box
5-Nothing different changed from jumping under the hood
6- Neither can show the fuel pressure
7- Can not activate the pump from apps, only when you unlock the car it turns on
8- Still no cel light showing up
9- Only light that pops up other than the abs/dsc is a red car on a mount in the area where the half engine light would appear.
Appreciate 0