E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Shelly BMW - not soo good of a shopping experience on 4/25/09

04-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Shelly BMW - not soo good of a shopping experience on 4/25/09

I won't name any names here as to respect those working... however, this needs to be addressed as the tactics they use at Shelly which wastes not just my time but also the dealer's time...

I came in with the intention of ordering a 335i coupe this week at 3:30pm in the afternoon. I requested to drive an auto version since I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to buy it. The dealer had multiple configurations of the car I wanted. After we drove it, I kind of liked it but wasn't willing to pay for the $1000 19" wheels. No problem they said, we can take it off but you'll have to still pay for the 19" wheel, but we'll sell to you at invoice.

then i saw the M-sport version in the showroom with everything I want, nothing i don't need exactly configured. Sticker was $55,000. At first the CA said he can do $500 over invoice which is no better than as if I order the car. Shouldn't a car on the lot sell for cheaper than if it was ordered???? Since anyone(any Dealer) can sell $500 over invoice, so what is the difference if I buy here, today, versus next month... I can wait... but it seems like you can hardly wait to take my money........

Comes back later says, manager says another guy will buy it tonight for $1000over invoice....., so I should buy the other car instead thats on the lot. (no msport)

Why is the CA telilng me what kind of car I should buy? I decide what I want to buy, not him. I inform him, well thats fine, I can come back tomorrow...24 hours from now...and gamble at whether or not that "other" guy tonight will buy it....

At this point it is nearly 5pm, the CA is getting increasingly frustrated to sell a car... not caring about the customer.. when I went to Long Beach, the CA there was so calm.. never forcing me to order, buy, just a simple test drive..and I said I'll think about it... then they said no problem. The shelly CA says to me: "99% of all customers who walk out of the door never comes back....." .... well... ever wonder WHY 99% of them never come back once they leave? if they come back... it means something was done right the 1st time... my point to him was, I'm not saying I DON"T want the car... I want the car..but if someone is gonna buy it for more, I want to gamble on that..... because my gamble is that that deal will fall through, and when it does, I'll come back and offer the manager something of my own... but the CA REFUSED to let me do that... he insisted I buy another car he had on the lot....

at this point if the m-sport version was $500/invoice like he originally said it was, we would be working on the deal......

At this point, I said I want the M-sport but now you said your manager wants it at $1000 / invoice. I was hoping he'd say $500 / invoice and then I offer him somewhere between invoice to $500 / invoice....

then i'm getting confused of what to buy, now he says how about $750 / invoice.... I said I'm not comfortable with the payments...... and then he uses this "logic reasoning" about time and money and salary and hour which I will explain why his LOGIC FAILS:

its almost 7pm now.... The CA asks me how much I make an hour... he said in the 4 hours we've been here, you've wasted N x 4 hours of money. I was thinking to him, "I don't give a sh**, why? because on the weekends, I don't work anyway...i don't get paid on the weekend, and I spend my time playing video games and with my girlfriend... " so why the fu** does it matter how much time we wasted???

i'm about to leave... and get chased down by a "sales manager" who greets me nicely in my car. He informed me that the showroom model just came in last week and he wanted me to test-drive the M-sport one. I said... no thanks... i felt tired.. then LOW and Behold..... he offers me... $500 / invoice for the showroom (fully loaded) M-sport 335i.....his final stance..

wow... 4 hours later... we were back to square one.... $500 over invoice

I like to say to the CA at Shelly..... 4Hours x $/hr where $/hr is my salary rate for my job. I went from $1000 to $750 to FINALLY $500 / invoice.

lets assume i took it for $750 from the CA...... $750 - $500 = $250 / invoice. $250 / 4 hours = $62.5 / hour.

you were saying I wasted 4 hours... i don't think I wasted 4 hours... Because I DON"T make anywhere near $62.50/ hour.... and SECOND... it was WELL worth it to stay FOUR hours to SAVE $62.5/hour for four hours.....

four hours for $250... i don't even make $250 in four hours at my job.... AND i have to WORK at my job... at your dealership..i just drink your coffee and talk to you for 4 hours......and i get paid/saved $250.

but thats besides the point, my POINT to the dealer was... why pay $1000/invoice (4:30pm price) or $750 / invoice (6:30pm price) for a car on the lot... when, I can order the same exact car at ANY dealer...for $500/invoice... so whats the incentive for me to buy at Shelly and drive home today? I can still lock in that 0.9% at any dealer...

moral of the story i think: i wish i was dealing with the manager at 3:30pm instead...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I've heard a lot of bad things about Shelly BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
sole cal
Black Mamba
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Were you in your Lambo when they chased you to your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

nice calculations
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Man, was that a Ford dealership you went to? Wow. That doesn't sound like a fun experience. Also, I'd like to add that you actually saved more than $250 because this is after tax money. You'd have to earn maybe $300 or more to get to keep $250.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

yeah ur going to find 1 or 2 off those kind of CA at every dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

They will call you back and offer $500.00 invoice if you walk out, why on earth would you stay so long especially when you can order it for $500.00 over from any other dealership, why did you want to buy from Shelly?
      06-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
slowpoke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

My experience at Shelly wasn't so bad. Granted, we called for a Korean speaking SA. He was pretty nice and offered various cars that would fit our needs. The only bad experience was that they didn't have much inventory. All they had were 335i's fully loaded, like 90% of their cars had every single option in it X-x.

Well...there was this one guy though who treated me like I was a complete idiot lol cuz I would ask him the most obvious questions like "so how much cheaper would demo cars be like an approximate amount than regular CPO " and he would be like " demo cars aren't used cars, they're just certain cars we get from BMWNA that are labeled demo cars. Heck, we don't even know which cars on the lot are demo cars, we just run them up on the computer when they are sold and that's when we know they are demo"
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

TIP - NEVER negotiate in person at the dealership!! Why waste your time? Do your research and email the dealership a fair price all from the comfort of your living room!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm glad you got the car that you wanted for the price that you wanted. It may be just the wrong person you were dealing with at Shelly at the time you were looking for you car. There are many new BMWs out on the streets right now with Shelly dealer plates on and I'm sure they didn't ALL get the hassle you experienced or else we wouldn't be seeing nearly as many Shelly dealer plates.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
frahuang
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e90 Blk/Blk 6MT

I got my car from Shelly but I had good experience there. PM me if you want my CA's name. Great guy, excellent service.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
kenneymac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is :)

I had a great person at Shelly. I'm still talking to you and asking questions after I purchased the car from him. He is still very polite and I ask lots of questions!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
e92jadegrey
Rep
Drives: 08 328i E92 Monaco + Jade Grey

I also had bad experiences at Shelly BMW. Their service department always try to sell me all these things that I don't need. Why would I want to pay when everything should be covered under the free maintenance program.
Appreciate 0