E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comfort Access Retrofit Project

01-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
My F10 has adaptive cruise with stop and go. I might not have checked this expensive option if I bought it new but damn if it isn't the shiznit. On my first real road test I drove between Wichita and KC without ever hitting the brake or gas pedal. While everyone else is jockeying for position on the road you just set the following distance and speed and let everyone else knock themselves out passing each other. Come up on a slow right laner with three faster cars on your left blind spot? No worries, just let the cruise follow until the left lane is clear to pass.

But you want real luxury opt for comfort close doors. I used to close the door myself but my F10 shuts them for me lol.
All I can say is sweet.....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #24
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I updated post#1 with the parts I got so far and cost.

I found a BMW M3 CAS EWS | 2 KEYS | DME | KEY READER | START BUTTON that came out of a 2009 M3 which had the comfort access option ofcourse. I wonder would that work.

I am still also trying to find the wiring harness for connecting the antennas to the Passive GO Module.

Anyone knows if I can make these wires if I buy the bushing contacts and socket terminals

Thanks
      01-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #25
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I looked into this for a short period of time before punting...

Here were my findings:

1) As far as hardware goes, you'll need the antennas, the door handles, and the module itself.

2) You'll need to code the car to enable CA to the VO.

3) CA Key - (Why I Punted)
A) You can get keys directly from BMW with the caveat that you have someone from BMW's side to officially add the CA option to your VIN's original VO. Once added as an official CA retrofit to your VIN's VO, you can order CA keys directly from the manufacturer. This proved to be the most expensive option not to mention the hurdle of finding someone that'd actually do it (adding the CA option to VO).
B) You can try to find used Keys from a salvaged car. You'll need the keys, the CAS, and the ECU. The ECU is tied to the CAS and the CAS is tied to the keys. They're all intertwined as they're all tied together with a secret marrying key. The only problem I have with this approach is that any OBD2 readings would yield an incorrect VIN which worries me for the yearly emissions testing for my state. If that weren't a problem, I'd go this route since it's plug and play!
C) You can buy a CAS programmer that will directly communicate to it from a bench (outside of the car). It involves soldering some wires to the freescale processor to decode the EEPROM on the board to obtain the marrying key. With the marrying key obtained you can then use a hitag2 key programmer to marry a virginized keyfob to your CAS module. Virginizing a keyfob is taking a used keyfob and replacing the one time write EEPROM with a new one.
D) Find a locksmith that has the tool to marry a virginized key to the CAS via OBD2. There are tools out there that will do this but due to the cost of the software and licensing, only professionals such as a locksmith could justify it's cost.

Step C was what I was planning on doing... Until I started reading reports of some CAS programmers bricking the CAS. I got scared sort of stopped looking at the retrofit. If someone could point me to such a locksmith local to the atlanta area as mentioned in D, I'm all ears!

I did all this research because I bought a e91 with one key. Since I was considering getting another non-CA key, I considered the CA retrofit.

In the end I punted because I really just wanted a cheap second key just in case I needed a spare in the event I lost the one I have. I then realized that I could just get a valet key directly from the dealership for ~$50 that'd start the car and manually unlock and lock it. Since it's just a beater car, I didn't want to spend too much money on it hence the project has halted for me.

Good luck on your endeavor! Please let me know if you get it working for a reasonable price!

Last edited by smallseafishie; 01-07-2016 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #26
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75 View Post
I updated post#1 with the parts I got so far and cost.

I found a BMW M3 CAS EWS | 2 KEYS | DME | KEY READER | START BUTTON that came out of a 2009 M3 which had the comfort access option ofcourse. I wonder would that work.

I am still also trying to find the wiring harness for connecting the antennas to the Passive GO Module.

Anyone knows if I can make these wires if I buy the bushing contacts and socket terminals

Thanks
It wont work unless the donor car was a n54 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
It wont work unless the donor car was a n54 335i.
I thought so, I will keep looking around
      01-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #28
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked into this for a short period of time before punting...

Here were my findings:

1) As far as hardware goes, you'll need the antennas, the door handles, and the module itself.

2) You'll need to code the car to enable CA to the VO.

3) CA Key - (Why I Punted)
A) You can get keys directly from BMW with the caveat that you have someone from BMW's side to officially add the CA option to your VIN's original VO. Once added as an official CA retrofit to your VIN's VO, you can order CA keys directly from the manufacturer. This proved to be the most expensive option not to mention the hurdle of finding someone that'd actually do it (adding the CA option to VO).
B) You can try to find used Keys from a salvaged car. You'll need the keys, the CAS, and the ECU. The ECU is tied to the CAS and the CAS is tied to the keys. They're all intertwined as they're all tied together with a secret marrying key. The only problem I have with this approach is that any OBD2 readings would yield an incorrect VIN which worries me for the yearly emissions testing for my state. If that weren't a problem, I'd go this route since it's plug and play!
C) You can buy a CAS programmer that will directly communicate to it from a bench (outside of the car). It involves soldering some wires to the freescale processor to decode the EEPROM on the board to obtain the marrying key. With the marrying key obtained you can then use a hitag2 key programmer to marry a virginized keyfob to your CAS module. Virginizing a keyfob is taking a used keyfob and replacing the one time write EEPROM with a new one.
D) Find a locksmith that has the tool to marry a virginized key to the CAS via OBD2. There are tools out there that will do this but due to the cost of the software and licensing, only professionals such as a locksmith could justify it's cost.

Step C was what I was planning on doing... Until I started reading reports of some CAS programmers bricking the CAS. I got scared sort of stopped looking at the retrofit. If someone could point me to such a locksmith local to the atlanta area as mentioned in D, I'm all ears!

I did all this research because I bought a e91 with one key. Since I was considering getting another non-CA key, I considered the CA retrofit.

In the end I punted because I really just wanted a cheap second key just in case I needed a spare in the event I lost the one I have. I then realized that I could just get a valet key directly from the dealership for ~$50 that'd start the car and manually unlock and lock it. Since it's just a beater car, I didn't want to spend too much money on it hence the project has halted for me.

Good luck on your endeavor! Please let me know if you get it working for a reasonable price!
Thank you for sharing. My thought was to find a salvage E92 (N54) that had the comfort access option and be able to buy the key Fobs and the CAS control units.

Right now I am trying to find the wiring harness that connects the antennas to the Passive GO Module. I can even find if there is a part number so I can order them.

I have been finding a complete car wiring harness from salvaged cars that had comfort access but everyone is trying to sell it as complete but all I need is the wiring harness related to the comfort access.
      01-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #29
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Just buy the whole thing at copart.com

Best bet is to buy a wreck of an E90 with CAS. Use bmwvin.com to verify vehicle options from the VIN. You might find it easier to buy a salvage CAS optioned BMW and put it back on the road than retrofitting CAS into your existing car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #30
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75 View Post
Thank you for sharing. My thought was to find a salvage E92 (N54) that had the comfort access option and be able to buy the key Fobs and the CAS control units.

Right now I am trying to find the wiring harness that connects the antennas to the Passive GO Module. I can even find if there is a part number so I can order them.

I have been finding a complete car wiring harness from salvaged cars that had comfort access but everyone is trying to sell it as complete but all I need is the wiring harness related to the comfort access.
Just remember that you also need to get the ECU / DME as well unless you have the tools to realign the CAS to the DME / ECU (reason why it must be another N54 car).

I honestly wouldn't invest any money into this project until you've got a sure set way of getting CA keys. Like I said, going this route will give your car's electronics a different VIN! So... If you have Navi in your 2009, your navigation will stop working since it's VIN mismatched. You will need to get a CIC activator to bypass the VIN check. Another problem (I don't know if it's a big deal for your state) is that OBD2 checks will return the donor car's VIN. My state does OBD2 emissions testing, and the VIN is populated into the emission's center computer when it's plugged in.

The easiest path really is step D if you'd like VIN matched equipment. I found a guy via ebay that will take your CAS and marry a new CA key to it. The price he wanted was boarderline the same price as the dealership's CA keys though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #31
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Please can you provide me the contact of that person. I like to see what he charges.
Also so far I didn't spend alot of money on what I got.

Another thing is the wiring which so far I am having no luck finding or even a part number.

Quote:
Just remember that you also need to get the ECU / DME as well unless you have the tools to realign the CAS to the DME / ECU (reason why it must be another N54 car).

I honestly wouldn't invest any money into this project until you've got a sure set way of getting CA keys. Like I said, going this route will give your car's electronics a different VIN! So... If you have Navi in your 2009, your navigation will stop working since it's VIN mismatched. You will need to get a CIC activator to bypass the VIN check. Another problem (I don't know if it's a big deal for your state) is that OBD2 checks will return the donor car's VIN. My state does OBD2 emissions testing, and the VIN is populated into the emission's center computer when it's plugged in.

The easiest path really is step D if you'd like VIN matched equipment. I found a guy via ebay that will take your CAS and marry a new CA key to it. The price he wanted was boarderline the same price as the dealership's CA keys though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #32
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I looked into this ALOT. In the end I remember someone on b m w c o d i n g d o t c o m, finding a vendor in germany that would sell you a brand new CA key fob with the vin already programmed to it. You just had to show documents to verify ownership of that car with the vin# you were trying to order for.

Im trying to find where i bookmarked. But i want to say it was this website:
http://store.bmw-mini-mania.com/part/66129268488

I've completed an idrive retrofit in my e92. You can make the wiring harnesses by buying the contact pins and sockets and all that from bmw and just use some 18-16awg wire of different colors to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #33
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

You have to make your own wire harness. It's all integrated into the main vehicle harness and can't be easily separated.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #34
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

i have a pro tip regarding coding keys on the cheap
there's some website i forget the name of, remotekeyfob.com or somethhing? anyway, they buy old bmw keyfobs off ebay and take the security chip out of them and use some special hardware to wipe them clean, basically making the key virgin again. From there you just need to find a friendly dealer that can register the keyfob with your car.

when i was looking into it it would have been less than half the cost of a new comfort access key from the dealer

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #35
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok so what wiring gauge I need to make the comfort access wiring harness. 18 or 16awg wire. Also does anyone has pictures of what the wiring looks like or instructions.

I know I will need to make wiring to connect the antennas to the CA module (I think) but what other wiring I need to make does the CA Module need to be connected to something
      01-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #36
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I was told CA handles can not be painted. If damaged a replacement from Germany must be ordered. This info came from BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #37
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Why bother? The cost in tears, pain, and greenbacks far outweigh the benefit. Just plan on getting it on your next car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #38
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well its a paid off car and I am going to keep it for a couple of years more. I wanted to have this option so why get a new car just to have this option and end up with a car payment. I already have it modified the way I want it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Why bother? The cost in tears, pain, and greenbacks far outweigh the benefit. Just plan on getting it on your next car.
couple things;
1) the attitude of "don't bother, just get a different car" is very toxic to a DIY focused community
2) comfort access is really really REALLY nice. I greatly value it on my car and i'd gladly pay a grand or two in parts for a retrofit if i didn't have it
3) comfort access is really rare and it's hard to discern what cars have it, the only real way is to run the vin number through a bmw vin checker like bmwvin and see if it's on the build sheet.

OP; there was a guy on the e65 7-series forum that successfully did this a while ago, you should find his old thread and read it to gain some insight

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #40
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

You're going to have to look up wiring diagrams to see what needs to be connected where and what the pinouts for the associated modules are.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #41
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
couple things;
1) the attitude of "don't bother, just get a different car" is very toxic to a DIY focused community
2) comfort access is really really REALLY nice. I greatly value it on my car and i'd gladly pay a grand or two in parts for a retrofit if i didn't have it
3) comfort access is really rare and it's hard to discern what cars have it, the only real way is to run the vin number through a bmw vin checker like bmwvin and see if it's on the build sheet.

OP; there was a guy on the e65 7-series forum that successfully did this a while ago, you should find his old thread and read it to gain some insight
I get it, and you are right...but there is some serious potential of screwing your electrical system when you start tapping into wires and the electrical system.

Some DIYs are worth their return on investment for sure, but the potential to damage my electrical system would make me reconsider I guess...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #42
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Updated post#1. I got some of the parts I ordered.
I am still looking for the passenger door handle and comfort access wiring harness.

So does anyone know what is the wiring harness part number. I mean if it is part of the main wiring harness what is the part number....

I am trying to find literature if I go the route of making it....

Last edited by ramez75; 01-11-2016 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #43
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
I'd be interested in just the keyless start option. I have comfort access on two other cars in the household and I invariably use the key fob to enter and exit them. But I do like being able to just press the start button and driving option.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #44
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

You have my full support, don't listen to the negativity cause I think your'e going to be the first to do it for the e9x. GL