E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Water dripping at rear of car?

06-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
n18lld
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325d

Water dripping at rear of car?

Evening all. Just joined the forum after picking up my E93 325d this week. My first BMW and loving the solid feel and drive.
The issue I’ve noticed is that I have what appears to be a clear odourless liquid(water?) dripping from both sides of the vehicle(sometimes only one side) just in front of the rear jacking points. Any pointers to the cause as wasn’t expecting the repair bills to start so soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
harveysduvet
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
It's been pretty wet recently - you sure it's not just rain draining out of the drain holes for the roof. Not familiar with where they are on an E93 but there's not normally anything around there that would leak any kind of liquid. Have a couple of cars with panoramic roofs and they all do similar. The drains from those are usually routed around wheel arches and can look like a leak of something when you see it dripping until you realise what it is.

What you want to worry about is when it rains and water doesn't drain through the drain holes as then the water will back up and potentially flood in to the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

On both the NSR and OSR there are drain plugs under neath panels near the rear jacking points. Over time these clog up with crap, my usual rectification of this is to remove the cover, remove the drain plug and then when refitting the cover drilling a 10mm hole through the cover in line with the drain plug
      06-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
OliSharp
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport

If the water dripping out feels slippery at all (like oil) then check your radiator. May sound a bit far fetched but i've just replaced my leaking radiator and the coolant was running all the way along the under side of the car along the under tray.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
rsvr
Rep
Drives: E93 325i F20 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by n18lld View Post
Evening all. Just joined the forum after picking up my E93 325d this week. My first BMW and loving the solid feel and drive.
The issue I’ve noticed is that I have what appears to be a clear odourless liquid(water?) dripping from both sides of the vehicle(sometimes only one side) just in front of the rear jacking points. Any pointers to the cause as wasn’t expecting the repair bills to start so soon.
Hi, pretty sure that will be the drain plugs which are underneath the sideskirts in that area. They might be blocked a bit also, good idea to remove and clean, mine stopped draining and i ended up with about 5 ltrs of water in each rear quarter panel!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

Have a look here.... https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864436
I’ve just updated the pictures on page 2 now.

Good to know where to look and also check that there is no water in the battery well. Drivers side of boot.

Jon