E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > No start but turns over

02-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Something just like that. The car still has the exact symptoms though of no start
      02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

When you told us you weren't getting power to pump (and looking at module output I presume), I was wondering if you did that voltage check with only car awake or actual cranking? I only saw 12v output on the module when cranking. Since you now have told us that you changed the module and still no start, either pump not running (which I don't think is the case) or problems downstream.

On the message you're getting now, perhaps this is related to new module and proper coding (adaptations reset?) needs to happen to introduce the new module to the car. IDK. I say follow Heather's idea. Put old module back on and determine if you're getting diesel flowing to engine compartment. As a first step, see if message goes away when you put old module back on.

I remember how car problem's were especially a PITA when I was a college student. Hang in there with school and good luck with the D.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #25
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Had same issue and symptoms

I ended up having the to replace the fuel pump on my car. I had the same symptoms... as in the car would turn over but never actually start running.

Was very much an intermittent problem too... happened 2 or 3 times when I was actually at the pump getting fuel... got back in and would not crank up.

Happened again in my garage at home a few times too. Funny thing was it seemed to be somehow "delayed" as in I could let it sit for a few minutes (like 10 or 15) and come back and it would crank right up like nothing ever happened.

Finally got to where it sat in my garage and would never crank after that. I had to call a tow truck to get it taken to my indy who confirmed fuel pump was issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #26
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegris View Post
I ended up having the to replace the fuel pump on my car. I had the same symptoms... as in the car would turn over but never actually start running.

Was very much an intermittent problem too... happened 2 or 3 times when I was actually at the pump getting fuel... got back in and would not crank up.

Happened again in my garage at home a few times too. Funny thing was it seemed to be somehow "delayed" as in I could let it sit for a few minutes (like 10 or 15) and come back and it would crank right up like nothing ever happened.

Finally got to where it sat in my garage and would never crank after that. I had to call a tow truck to get it taken to my indy who confirmed fuel pump was issue.
Was that the high pressure pump or the low pressure pump?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #27
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Finally got around to testing power to the pump with a new module, still no luck. Been trying to get my coding software up and running so after that I'll try again.

I have a new pump on order, should I just replace it anyway? Think it might be a good idea to since I'm at 120k miles.

When I have time off, it's snowing, when I dont, it's 55 degrees and sunny. Just my luck lol.
      02-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

The CP3 can pull fuel on it's own and some diesel CP3 apps don't even have/need lift pumps. That's the reason for the iDrive alert wording - they expect it to continue running marginally with a bad lift in most cases. It is also why lift pump-related issues can be tricky to diagnose. The first, best way to determine what's going on in questionable fuel situations is like Heather said earlier: confirm the LP is actually pumping. Or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

No fuel coming out of the quick connection. I replaced the pump, still no luck.
      02-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #30
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
bypass the fuel pump relay. Make a jumper wire and connect slot 30 to slot 87. If you get fuel, you need a relay.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #31
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper
Quote:
bypass the fuel pump relay. Make a jumper wire and connect slot 30 to slot 87. If you get fuel, you need a relay.
What's the relay? That module behind the rear passenger seat thing? If it's that then I replaced that already. If there's another relay please tell me the location.
      02-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #32
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

I wished you hadn't jumped to changing the lifting pump. Either the relay (the one behind right rear seat) isn't getting power sent to it or the fuel pump connector that plugs into it could have the screwed up contacts.

Did you stick anything (such as multimeter probes) in the relay end of the fuel pump electric harness? I did and opened up the female contacts too much where power was no longer going through the connector. I'm talking about wiring between module and pump.

The brute force way is to run 12V power directly to the lifting pump's pins (be damn careful about polarity, striped wire is positive) and see if fuel comes out of that quick connect. I used a 12V out of an older Honda accord I have. I tried in line fusses but they blew in a matter of anywhere from 4 seconds (2 amp slow blow) to 12 seconds(4 amp slow blow). Eventually ran power direct and burped air from system.

Uber, the picture I posted (post #22) from my nav screen was complaining about lifting pump. My car wouldn't start either. CP3 couldn't do it by itself is my point.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #33
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

I'll hook up my DC power supply to the pump and see. I look at replacing the pump as a PM now since I'm at 120k miles already.

EDIT: Pump works as intended. My DC PSU only does 5amps of current so that wasn't enough to get it really going but I managed to have it move.

Last edited by WreckerX5d; 02-09-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #34
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

This explains why my power supply couldn't do it either. It's limited to 5amps too. Battery got'er done
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #35
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Was that the high pressure pump or the low pressure pump?
Sorry for the late reply... mine was the lift pump in the tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #36
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

I ended up turning the car into the dealership. They fixed the problem (somewhat). It was indeed the ECU not talking to the module to send power to the fuel pump. Could've saved myself $600 in parts, but I have an updated version and a new FP so all is not lost.

Another occurrence they came across. If Bob can answer this issue. I did mention that I had a tune that deleted everything, so don't touch the DME (which they didn't, they unplugged it). The car didn't start again but was giving a SCR fault/leveling sensor failure (reason I got the tune ). They "fixed" my drained tank "issue", refilled the Urea tank and the car started again (then realized my tank was leaking, lol). Would you think I should send down my DDE back to BPC to have them reflash it just in case? Or go on my merry way and hope for the best. The car doesn't pull any SCR codes and runs as intended.
      02-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #37
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I ended up turning the car into the dealership. They fixed the problem (somewhat). It was indeed the ECU not talking to the module to send power to the fuel pump. Could've saved myself $600 in parts, but I have an updated version and a new FP so all is not lost.

Another occurrence they came across. If Bob can answer this issue. I did mention that I had a tune that deleted everything, so don't touch the DME (which they didn't, they unplugged it). The car didn't start again but was giving a SCR fault/leveling sensor failure (reason I got the tune ). They "fixed" my drained tank "issue", refilled the Urea tank and the car started again (then realized my tank was leaking, lol). Would you think I should send down my DDE back to BPC to have them reflash it just in case? Or go on my merry way and hope for the best. The car doesn't pull any SCR codes and runs as intended.
Did they tell you why it wasn't communicating?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #38
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

That brings up an issue for me. I can change my oil and change my brakes, but am hesitant with some other more in-depth issues / troubleshooting. If I have an electrical issue as Wrecker did, I would likely take the car to the dealership. The D is my daily and I cannot be without the car for a prolonged period.

How do I go about letting the dealership know I have a tune? What can I do to avoid a trip to the dealership followed by a trip to BPC because the dealership over-wrote some code?
      02-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #39
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Did they tell you why it wasn't communicating?
I don't believe they did. I can call them and ask if you want me to.
      02-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #40
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Please. It would be great to know if any of us experience a smilier problem in the future.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #41
BEWWWM
I like to party
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
That would be great to know as i'm about to take my car to an indy to diagnose a no start after installing a tuned DDE.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #42
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC
Seems there maybe two issues, Wrecker335d was just the tank was empty and filling it got the car started and BEWWWM is a checksum. If you guys have our stage II tune, please let me know if you have the tank filled with water, urea or if its empty, Thank you.
Mines full with Urea now. I won't drain it yet.
      02-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #43
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mines full with Urea now. I won't drain it yet.
Did you have the count down light before you sent the DDE to us?
Yes I dropped it off with countdown of 8 or 900 miles. This mileage coincides with about the amount I drove after the flash was done.
      02-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #44
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I dropped it off with countdown of 8 or 900 miles. This mileage coincides with about the amount I drove after the flash was done.
hmm, I was told by the banned one you went 1000 miles with out it in the tank correct? I have two 335D's at the shop now that im going to test, Im going to disconnect the sensors in the urea tank and see if it starts with the stageII tune. Also test my new checksum corrector
It's somewhere between 800-1500 miles. I stopped keeping track how many I really do. It's really a guess.