E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Quit smoking now!

10-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Robbie200
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've been cigarette free for 4 months now. Started with the cig-a-likes before moving to an ego type battery and CE4 clearomisers.

Currently got an iTaste V3 battery which is variable voltage and variable wattage but the same size as an ego battery. Lasts me about a day on a charge. Worth a try if you want something not too big but with the flexibility to vary the vape.

Currently getting fed up of the plastic tank coming off the base of the CE5's I'm using when I stick it in the back pocket and I'm considering a protank mini.

Ultimately I'd like to come off the e-cigs as well and cut all ties with nicotine. Just need the will power!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Well done to those that have quit.

To those that haven't, it's worth seeking out footage of a surgeon performing a Lobectomy on a lung to remove cancer. Once you've stopped throwing up you may find you've gone off the idea of smoking again.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Not sure if you're a smoker Nick but I think I can speak for most when I say it wouldn't make one jot of difference. Chemical addictions can't be cured by gory pictures. It would probably put someone off who was thinking about starting but that would be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #26
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
Not sure if you're a smoker Nick but I think I can speak for most when I say it wouldn't make one jot of difference. Chemical addictions can't be cured by gory pictures. It would probably put someone off who was thinking about starting but that would be it.
Agree.

Just got the MVP. Its a lot better than the normal e-cigs. xs2man thanks for the recommendation!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #27
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Kick it altogether mob. You can do it
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Kick it altogether mob. You can do it
That's the ultimate goal rich. My plan is to gradually reduce the nicotine strength to zero. Currently at 18mg. I'm sure i can at least get it down to 6mg or something. After that it may get difficult but still easier compared to real cigs.

But at the moment really enjoying the vapour from this model. It's very thick and consistent
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I've never been a smoker so not talking from personal experience, but I know quite a few people who managed to give up using Champix.

My dad loved his cigarettes and I was amazed it worked for him too.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I've never been a smoker so not talking from personal experience, but I know quite a few people who managed to give up using Champix.

Champix worked for me also, I was kind of sceptical about them at 1st but a few days into the course I was lighting a cigarette and almost immediately throwing it away. By the end of the 1st week I'd stopped smoking and continued with the course to help deal with the craving feeling. I completed 11 weeks out of a 12 week course of tablets and 19 months later am glad to say I haven't smoked since. Champix does have some side effects, I felt nauseous when I started the course, but that goes after a few days and then the very very random dreams start, woke up a few times with a big smile on my face
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
That bad eh?

Not a smoker rich, but always ridden big bikes. Guess combining the two would severely restrict my life expectancy......

Good luck to all those trying to quit!

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Agree.

Just got the MVP. Its a lot better than the normal e-cigs. xs2man thanks for the recommendation!
Mob, can you post up a idiots/retard (me) guide please
A list of needs to make it happen would be good

Offsets, torque, BHP etc I'm Au Fait with, but some of the language being spoken on this thread is frankly bamboozling!

Vapes, mods etc?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Just thought i'd share my experience of quitting smoking.

I have been a regular 15 a day B&H Gold smoker for years. I always found it hard to stop. I tried patches, gum (YUK) and simply going cold turkey. None of these worked as i always thought about smoking a cigarette.

Then one day someone introduced me to e-cigarettes. These are essentially a cigarette looking piece of electronic equipment. Most comprise of a battery and a cartomiser.

The cartomiser is filled with e-liquid, which is comprised of nicotine solution, propylene glycol solution (acts as the carrier and makes the vapour) and flavouring. You can have so many combinations of nicotine strength, from 24mg to zero. A normal B&H Gold cigarette is 18mg. There are also loads of flavours, ranging from tobacco ones to chocolate!

So when you inhale, the battery powers an atomiser (in the cartomiser) which heats the e-liquid to produce nicotine vapour. This is the key to e-cigarettes and why i think they are the best form of nicotine replacement therapy. Because there is no combusion, there are NO harmful carcinogens, tar or carbon monoxide. The only thing you could consider even remotely unsafe is the nicotine, which is similar to a hit of caffeine from a cup of tea. You will only exhale vapour so its legal everywhere. No smell, no staining, nothing.

How does it feel? Well if you go for an established brand with quality products you will not be disappointed. If you go for the disposables you will almost certainly go back to regular cigarettes. I'm the sort of smoker who NEEDS that cig in the morning or else im a moody bastard. These easily provide me with the fix i need. The vapour production is very good and you get a very good throat hit.

The flavours are great too, and can be mixed. My favourite is a mix of two tobacco flavours, which is a mix of a harsh rich tobacco and a more sweet tobacco. I may try experimenting by blending some coffee or chocolate with the tobacco.

I've honestly not looked back since starting. It's been exactly 6 weeks. I don't even think about a cigarette anymore, even when friends are smoking i am more than happy to use my e-cig.

I've used 2 companies so far. Sky Cig and Jac Vapour. I used Sky Cig a few months ago then got back to normal cigarettes. Both are very good legit companies, but Jac Vapour wins hands down. They sell cartomisers which you can refill with e-liquid (which you can also buy from them). This vastly reduces the cost of e-cigarettes (compared to Sky Cig type companies who only provide pre filled carts), to roughly 40p a day based on 10-15 cigarettes! Jac Vapour is the company i have used for the past 6 weeks and they have been flawless, excellent quality products and customer service. www.jacvapour.com This may sound like an advert but i'm not affiliated with them in any way, i just want more people to stop smoking and actually try a method which works perfectly for me.

I have been using the smaller version of e-cigarettes so far, the V3i's, which are about the same size of a cigarette and look like one too. I now feel like i want to upgrade and start "vaping" with the VGO2's, because it's getting a bit tedious refilling and charging daily. The VGO2's have a bigger battery to give way more life, and use tanks, not cartomisers. Apparantly you get better and thicker vapour production and a battery which can last a day and a bit of heavy vaping.

For all you crack heads out there, you can even make or buy THC e-liquid! How cool is that. You can get high off a few drags with no one suspecting anything, apart from your face lol. It's much healthier than smoking a spliff. Disclaimer: i do not endorse drugs but i understand if people are addicted to THC (cannabis) I haven't tried this but have read on the internet about it. If it helps you cut out the carlncerous chemicals etc then its a good thing in my book.

So if you really want to stop smoking i urge you to try e-cigarettes. At first i thought it was a gimmick, but it is a serious form of nicotine replacement therapy which actually works. It feeds the chemical AND physical addiction to smoking. It feels great to take around 8 drags anywhere i want, and then pop it back in my pocket. Then when i feel like more a take a few more drags. Your mind will tell you when you've had enough, so you're not forced to take more nicotine than your mind needs, unlike normal cigarettes where people feel they need to fnish them.

So it doesn't even feel like i'm trying to stop. They are also vastly cheaper and healthier than normal cigarettes, so more money on other things

If you do decide to order off Jac Vapour, use promo code ECR69 and get 20% off

I hope this has been helpful.

good stuff!!!

really tempted by those...got some nice flavours aswell....

bit pricey for the kit tho...

and i can't find the THC cannabis one on their website?! ...it it legal?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Mob, can you post up a idiots/retard (me) guide please
A list of needs to make it happen would be good

Offsets, torque, BHP etc I'm Au Fait with, but some of the language being spoken on this thread is frankly bamboozling!

Vapes, mods etc?
I'll try my best. Maybe xs2man can chime in as he is more experienced.

Basically there are two types of e-cigs. Cigalikes and Mods.

Cigalikes are the cigarette sized models. They have 2 parts; Batteries and Carts. A cart is where the e-liquid is, and is basically a soaked cotton type material sitting in a case. Advantages: Smaller size, so doesn't look odd. Some people mind, others don't. Disadvantages: Inconsistent vape "smoke"production, battery and carts don't last long (so you have to always make sure you have a charged battery and a filled cart). A normal battery usually last around 5-8 hours.

The mods are much better IMO. These are just big batteries, and you can add clearomisers to them, which take the place of carts. They have better build quality, can accommodate more e-liquid and are clear so you know how much e-liquid there's left. You can get added features. e.g the MVP V2.0 has:

Variable wattage (can control the throat hit, so have a harsher hit, or a more smooth hit. It's quite a good feature to have as e-liquids are different, and peoples tastes are different)
Puff counter
Battery life
Can charge anything that is charged via a USB cable

Disadvantages: Big size. Advantages (i have only tried the MVP V2.0 so basing it on that): Consistent vape production, thicker vape, beter flavour, controlable throat hit, Battery can last 2 days +, less time filling with e-liquid, extra features, cheaper to run as you can buy rebuildable carts.

Most people start with the cigalikes, as it's a similar size to a cigarette. But many go onto the bigger types as it becomes very tedious having to charge batteries and fill carts all the time. You also get a better smoke with the bigger types.

Cost wise they are pretty similar. If you can live with the bigger size then definitely go for the MVP V2.0 (or other similar models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
good stuff!!!

Compared to the usual cigalikes the cost it pretty similar. Around £40 for the MVP. Once you make your investment you will save money.

I don't think anyone sells actual THC e-liquid, as i think that would be illegal. There is a legal liquid which gives you the taste, but no THC, google mary jane.

To have actual THC (where you get high), you have to make the e-liquid yourself. It's not that hard. Some information here http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/blogs...onic-cigarette

Recipe for cannabis concentrate: http://www.brainresin.com/bookindex.html

Please be aware i haven't personally smoked THC e-liquid. This isn't an encouragement for people to smoke THC, rather a safer alternative to smoking a joint.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's the ultimate goal rich. My plan is to gradually reduce the nicotine strength to zero. Currently at 18mg. I'm sure i can at least get it down to 6mg or something. After that it may get difficult but still easier compared to real cigs.
I'd be interested to know how many people pack up altogether after moving to fake ciggies. It's a relatively new phenomena so I guess the reliable stats aren't there. I guess many will just think 'Why bother?' because they've removed the health risk. Fair play I say. I just knew that after 25+ years it was time for me to stop my dependence altogether. Same with the booze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post

I thought about Champix. I even had a prescription a year or two ago and then the thought of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
then the very very random dreams start
...along with other possible side effects put me off and I never tried them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
That bad eh?
Yep. But I think I said before, miss the booze more.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #36
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
I'll try my best. Maybe xs2man can chime in as he is more experienced.

Basically there are two types of e-cigs. Cigalikes and Mods.

Cigalikes are the cigarette sized models. They have 2 parts; Batteries and Carts. A cart is where the e-liquid is, and is basically a soaked cotton type material sitting in a case. Advantages: Smaller size, so doesn't look odd. Some people mind, others don't. Disadvantages: Inconsistent vape "smoke"production, battery and carts don't last long (so you have to always make sure you have a charged battery and a filled cart). A normal battery usually last around 5-8 hours.

The mods are much better IMO. These are just big batteries, and you can add clearomisers to them, which take the place of carts. They have better build quality, can accommodate more e-liquid and are clear so you know how much e-liquid there's left. You can get added features. e.g the MVP V2.0 has:

Variable wattage (can control the throat hit, so have a harsher hit, or a more smooth hit. It's quite a good feature to have as e-liquids are different, and peoples tastes are different)
Puff counter
Battery life
Can charge anything that is charged via a USB cable

Disadvantages: Big size. Advantages (i have only tried the MVP V2.0 so basing it on that): Consistent vape production, thicker vape, beter flavour, controlable throat hit, Battery can last 2 days +, less time filling with e-liquid, extra features, cheaper to run as you can buy rebuildable carts.

Most people start with the cigalikes, as it's a similar size to a cigarette. But many go onto the bigger types as it becomes very tedious having to charge batteries and fill carts all the time. You also get a better smoke with the bigger types.

Cost wise they are pretty similar. If you can live with the bigger size then definitely go for the MVP V2.0 (or other similar models).

Compared to the usual cigalikes the cost it pretty similar. Around £40 for the MVP. Once you make your investment you will save money.

I don't think anyone sells actual THC e-liquid, as i think that would be illegal. There is a legal liquid which gives you the taste, but no THC, google mary jane.

To have actual THC (where you get high), you have to make the e-liquid yourself. It's not that hard. Some information here http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/blogs...onic-cigarette

Recipe for cannabis concentrate: http://www.brainresin.com/bookindex.html

Please be aware i haven't personally smoked THC e-liquid. This isn't an encouragement for people to smoke THC, rather a safer alternative to smoking a joint.
I'll pretty much agree with what Mob has written. It's basically correct. The start-up costs are pretty similar, but running costs can be substantially cheaper if you go for a "Mod" like the MVP or similar, because you can start making your own e-liquids, building your own coils etc...

For example, if you look at the likes of a SkyCig, which we both basically started with, cartridges come in at around £9 for 5. With each cartridge lasting around a day, that comes in at £1.80 per day.

Now if we look at mods / cartridges, you can get 10ml of liquid from some places as cheap as £1.50, although the usual price would be closer to around £4, once you have found a flavour you like. That should last around 4 days, or would for me. So pre-mixed will come in between 38p - £1 per day (based on around 3ml per day).

Now if you mix your own, the concentrate comes in at around the same, £4-5 for 10ml. Using 2ml per 10ml mix, means around 50ml of DIY mix can be made. You also need nicotine base, and PG and VG dillutants too.

100ml of 72 mg/ml Nic base will set you back around £12 (12p per ml)
100ml of PG or VG around £3 each (3p per ml).

A typical recipe, using the above ingredients, for a 20mg mix, 70/30 PG/VG mix will use:

2.8ml nic base (33.5p)
2.2 ml PG (6.6p)
3ml VG (9p)
and 2ml concentrate (£1 approx)

So £1.50 to mix your own too. So around 30-40p per day.

You can buy 100ml of good quality premixed here in UK for around £18. Or 54p per day. Or you can import it from China for around £10, so 30p per day.

So you can get your nicotine fix for 30p per day using mods / decent battery set-ups, compared to £1.80 per day with cig-a-likes.

I will admit, it took me around 6 weeks of Vaping for my set-up costs to match what I would have spent on cigs, but I went to town when I started. It could be done a lot cheaper had I known exactly what to buy.

For example, a MVP 2 and a Protank 2 should come in around £56. Then buy a couple of 10ml juices at £4 each, and you are at £64. Around the same as 9-10 packs of cigs. If you can live with it for that 9-10 days (assuming you don't smoke at all), then you have broken even in under 2 weeks, and can be making proper savings from here on in. If it isn't for you, your MVP and Protank can still be sold on, for decent enough money, maybe getting £35-40 back, and you've only lost a couple packs of smokes to try it out.

Sorry, very money orientated that reply, but that's really what will scare most folks off. The initial investment. You can try it cheaper, with a blister pack for a tenner, from the likes of Paradise Vapes, and a couple bottles of e-liquid, making initial investment of only around £20. And it would make an excellent back up system if you decided vaping was for you (you should always have some sort of back-up). But if you did find it was for you, then the MVP would definitely be a good way forward.

Mob, I dunno how you feel about vaping now, if you think it's something you could get into, or if you are using solely as a device to get off the cigs, but a Vamo would make an excellent back-up device for you

I know there are a few of us now who love our MVP's for out and about, but when we are at home, there is little to better the hit from a Vamo.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #37
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
Mob, I dunno how you feel about vaping now, if you think it's something you could get into, or if you are using solely as a device to get off the cigs, but a Vamo would make an excellent back-up device for you

I know there are a few of us now who love our MVP's for out and about, but when we are at home, there is little to better the hit from a Vamo.
I think i'm already kind of into vaping, but perhaps not as much as the more experienced vapourers. I would like to try more flavours. I have tried a fruity grape flavour recently (red astaire) which was nice initially but after 24hours of vaping it made me feel sick. So i have gone back to my usual tobacco flavour which is very nice. By the way, i remember you mentioned i could get 100ml of e-liquid for about a tenner. Any links?

I guess i'm using the e-cigs to satisfy and cut down my nicotine intake to 6mg. Anything more than that is a bonus. I'm not sure if i ever will quit vaping, but it's certainly got my off the cigs.

Is the vape better with the Vamo? I'm not sure if i need a back up. I've used the MVP for around 28 hours and the battery is at 4.0 volts (max charge is 4.2 volts). Can't believe it's only dropped 0.2 volts in over 24 hours!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #38
xs2man
Captain
Rep

Links for 100ml for £10:
http://www.fasttech.com/category/0/s...liquid%20100ml

You can get in the UK for around £18, which is still good value, and you get nicer flavours if I'm honest, and delivery is miles faster :
http://www.misteliquid.co.uk/e-liquid/100ml-e-liquid

The thing about having a back-up is that you can use it when your main device runs out of battery power, and is charging. As it may not always be possible to charge it when it runs out. I have a few of these as back-ups :

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1403315

Only £9 delivered & variable voltage, I have one in each car, and a back-up in the house.

I also have a Vamo (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...arette-battery), and a SID (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...oltage-wattage) in the house for when I fancy a change.

The Vamo is my preferred device, and you do get a slightly stronger hit from it (that could of course just be psychological as it was my first device). But there is slightly more control over the wattage, and it is less restrictive on the airflow than the MVP. As in my protanks are an even airier vape, which I do like. On the downside, it is big and heavy when it is run in 18650 mode, but it is nice a compact in 18350 mode.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Links for 100ml for £10:
http://www.fasttech.com/category/0/s...liquid%20100ml

You can get in the UK for around £18, which is still good value, and you get nicer flavours if I'm honest, and delivery is miles faster :
http://www.misteliquid.co.uk/e-liquid/100ml-e-liquid

The thing about having a back-up is that you can use it when your main device runs out of battery power, and is charging. As it may not always be possible to charge it when it runs out. I have a few of these as back-ups :

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1403315

Only £9 delivered & variable voltage, I have one in each car, and a back-up in the house.

I also have a Vamo (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...arette-battery), and a SID (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...oltage-wattage) in the house for when I fancy a change.

The Vamo is my preferred device, and you do get a slightly stronger hit from it (that could of course just be psychological as it was my first device). But there is slightly more control over the wattage, and it is less restrictive on the airflow than the MVP. As in my protanks are an even airier vape, which I do like. On the downside, it is big and heavy when it is run in 18650 mode, but it is nice a compact in 18350 mode.
Cheers, just ordered 10mls of:

Gold & Silver
Hotel/Hilton Tobacco
Tobacco Original
Red Energy

Too 3 are tobacco flavours, last is Red Bull. Once i like a flavour i'll order the 100ml.

I'm going to see how i get on in the next few weeks. If i feel i need a back up then it will probably be the Vamo as you say its pretty good
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #40
xs2man
Captain
Rep

I'm not a fan of tobacco flavours personally. Prefer fruity flavours. The thing that'll cost you the most money is finding the flavour you like, not the equipment to vape it, lol.

I'm a BIG fan of the Mojito Madness from misteliquid (the UK link for 100ml above), it's really nice. The red bull is pretty good too. And I started out with Irn Bru flavour, and it's quite nice.

I'm vaping a lot of that Red Astaire just now, it's my day vape for the moment, and blueberry mint is also hitting the spot for me. But everyone is different, many people really like the custard flavours, and coffee flavours. Just not for me them ones.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Robbie200
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
The thing that'll cost you the most money is finding the flavour you like, not the equipment to vape it, lol.
Indeed, and if anyone wants to try a couple of flavours, I have some samplers of RY4 (sweet tobacco taste), chocolate caramel and Golden Burginia (meant to be Golden Virginia) which I'll pop in the post FOC. They're all 18mg to 20mg nicotine and not to my taste.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just thought i'd update and revive this thread.

I have not had a single cigarette and have been using the MVP V2.0 which xs2man suggested. Thanks! It is so great i have a spare MVP as well. It lasts me 3 full days on one charge, and 1.5 days on one refill.

I tried fruity flavours, but my system just wasn't having it. I think tobacco is where i'll stick to. I have found 2 tobacco flavours which are perfect for me. Also upgraded to the Protank 2 which is great.

I can vape wherever i want; bedroom, on the bog, living room, driving, on planes, airports, restaurants. It feels great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
OK you convinced me, back on the electronic ciggies.
What's the latest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
good stuff!!!

Any luck?

Last edited by mob17; 12-24-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #43
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

I tried vaping last week

The things are unreliable though. Mine started to smoke rubbish!

So i freaked out, snapped it in half, pulled into the shell garage and took a 20 deck out.

I am short tempered at the best of times but trying to stop smoking i turn into the biggest arsehole alive. I think its best that i continue to smoke. Although i would love to give it up
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #44
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
I tried vaping last week

The things are unreliable though. Mine started to smoke rubbish!

So i freaked out, snapped it in half, pulled into the shell garage and took a 20 deck out.

I am short tempered at the best of times but trying to stop smoking i turn into the biggest arsehole alive. I think its best that i continue to smoke. Although i would love to give it up
Haha, same here i get really moody.

I can't emphasise enough that it really does depend on what e-cig you used. A solid reliable one like the MVP is great. What did you use?
Appreciate 0