E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen to Xenon Conversion Wiring *ERRORLESS* - Phase 1

05-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep
Drives: E90 to A5

Talking Halogen to Xenon Conversion Wiring *ERRORLESS* - Phase 1

Mach@M-force_Design and I have teamed up to work on his car
for the Halogen to Xenon Conversion
-No "Parachute" kit needed.

VIDEO COMING SOON!

Why this thread is labeled "Phase 1" is because we are still testing. So far after 15-minutes of driving, the car produced no error and the European Xenon Headlight remained fully functional.
Phase 2 will include, 2 resistors that will be used as a load to balance the system back to 55W, thus giving a completely ERRORLESS Halogen to Xenon swap.

So far it is near ERRORLESS. ADHD's tutorial caused way too much trouble for me. One thing wrong on his diagram, which I have corrected is that Pin #1 is really Angel Eyes.

Terminal (The plug on the car.)
Do the same thing on BOTH plugs!

1.) Angel Eyes

2.) Ground – this is where you need to add a ground wire.

-Two new ground wires

Make sure the new ground wire it is tapped with pin #4. DO NOT hook it up to the chassis!

I used 12-10 AWG(Yellow) Splice Tap Connectors to tap my NEW GROUND wire to the Existing GROUND wire.

Hooking it up to the chassis will only cause your xenons to flicker and turn off.
I filled the hole with some silicone solution so the wire does not wiggle around.

3.) Low Beam (xenon)

4.) Ground - the existing ground you tap your new ground wire to

5.) Bi-Xenon (shutter) - This is optional, however if you want 2 Xenon modes, (xenon low beam, and xenon high beam) you will need to tap the shutter wire to the regular high-beams(H7).
Tapping pin #5 and pin #6 will allow you to have bi-xenon, meaning you will have 2 stages of brightness. Regular low-beam xenons, and high-beam xenons. You will have the choice to have low-beam xenons and high-beam xenons and regular high-beams all together.
If you do NOT choose to do this mod, you will have regular high-beams(h7) and just low-beam xenons. The beam will be unaffected.
Either way, this will not cause an error.
OPTIONAL(If you want Bi-Xenon)

You simply tap pin #6 wire (blue) to the shutter wire (red).
I created a new wire and tapped them together with a 16-14 AWG(Blue) T-Tap and 22-18 AWG(Red) Splice Tap Connector

*The color coded Splice Taps and T-Taps are
specially made for the different gauges (wire thick/thinness).*

6.) High Beam(H7)
7.) Empty
8.) Empty
9.) Empty
10.) Empty
11.) Empty
12.) Side Marker (Signal)

Plug it back into the headlight, you should get an error, drive for 30 seconds and your ECU(computer) will adapt to the new Xenon headlamp. The error message will disappear completely and your car will be CHECK OK. This has been tested and it is PERFECTLY working.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-23-2008 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

More extra pictures can be found in this thread.
Page 1 and Page 2.

Quick Links to Questions and Answers
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...12&postcount=4
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...35&postcount=6
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...09&postcount=9
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=12
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=20
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=22
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=41
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=43

Reserved for future updates.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-22-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
nsanbyker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6 speed

what is the white stuff around the new ground wire in two? the second pic shows a wire with two ends, did you cut off one of the ends when splicing into the pre-existing ground? what kind of connectors did you use for the new ground wire in the headlight connector? Great Job on the DIY
      05-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsanbyker View Post
what is the white stuff around the new ground wire in two? the second pic shows a wire with two ends, did you cut off one of the ends when splicing into the pre-existing ground? what kind of connectors did you use for the new ground wire in the headlight connector? Great Job on the DIY
-White stuff = silicone solution to keep the new ground wire in place.

The tap I used self strips the wires for you. You put the existing ground, and the new ground into it.
You can also use T-taps, but any faulty wiring will cause the ECU to detect an error.

The two new ground wires, I used for each headlight. The little connectors(pins) on the two new ground wires are made for the OEM connector. They snap right into place. I just used the silicone to secure it from wiggling.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-21-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
nsanbyker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
-White stuff = silicone solution to keep the new ground wire in place.

The tap I used self strips the wires for you. You put the existing ground, and the new ground into it.
You can also use T-taps, but any faulty wiring will cause the ECU to detect an error.

The two new ground wires, I used for each headlight. The little connectors(pins) on the two new ground wires are made for the OEM connector. They snap right into place. I just used the silicone to secure it from wiggling.
Great job. Still no errors?

Off topic, good looking girl
      05-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Great job. Still no errors?

Off topic, good looking girl
Nope no errors. It errors only when you first start the car, but it disappears completely after less than one minute of driving.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-21-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

This is an excellent DIY source, great work!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope no errors. It errors only when you first start the car, but it disappears after less than one minute of driving.
Good work. Congrats.

What is the tap connector for? Does it eliminate cutting and splicing the existing ground wire?

So you still get an error on start up. What kind of error? Is it the exclamation symbol or the headlight warning?

Thought you are now completely errorless, as in no errors whatsover.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
This is an excellent DIY source, great work!
Thank you Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l l a n View Post
Good work. Congrats.

What is the tap connector for? Does it eliminate cutting and splicing the existing ground wire?

So you still get an error on start up. What kind of error? Is it the exclamation symbol or the headlight warning?

Thought you are now completely errorless, as in no errors whatsover.
The tap connector is to eliminate cutting and splicing of the existing ground and new ground.

The only reason why when you start the car it errors with the ! mark is because the Xenon ballast uses 35W, where as the halogen bulb uses 55W. No red warnings, the ! is only at the bottom of the screen. After you drive the car for less than 1 minute, the ! disappears completely and your car is CHECK OK.

PHASE 2 WILL BE 100% ERRORLESS, no error prompting on start-up.
Should be finished within this week or next.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
The tap connector is to eliminate cutting and splicing of the existing ground and new ground.
Awesome. I wish you did this sooner. This makes the conversion completely reversible. Too bad I already cut and spliced a couple of wires.

Quote:
The only reason why when you start the car it errors with the ! mark is because the Xenon ballast uses 35W, where as the halogen bulb uses 55W. No red warnings, the ! is only at the bottom of the screen. After you drive the car for less than 1 minute, the ! disappears and your car is completely CHECK OK.

PHASE 2 WILL BE 100% ERRORLESS, no error prompting on start-up.
Should be finished within this week or next.
Subscribed. Keep it up and do it soon!
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

question: where did you get the pins so that they fit into the OEM connector?

and this may be stupid but you know your added wire? if you just tap connect it to the existing ground you prolly did it in the middle somewhere so shouldnt there be some wire left? did you just cut that off? even so isnt there a bare wire endfor the other end of the added ground?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. I wish you did this sooner. This makes the conversion completely reversible. Too bad I already cut and spliced a couple of wires.

Subscribed. Keep it up and do it soon!
This is 100% reversible. Do not worry a l l a n, if you are good with electrical work, you can always fix your wires. I have done a lot of testing to come up with this solution.

Thanks for the support. I will post videos as soon as I can find sometime to.
Oh and I have worked out a few other cool mods for the headlamp. I will later post a DIY for remote Angel Eyes (Unlocking Door, lights up angel eyes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post

and this may be stupid but you know your added wire? if you just tap connect it to the existing ground you prolly did it in the middle somewhere so shouldnt there be some wire left? did you just cut that off? even so isnt there a bare wire endfor the other end of the added ground?
Snipped off the pins from a OEM BMW Harness, you can buy it from your local dealer.

The tap I used, tap's the existing ground wire in the middle, and tap's the end of the new wire.

Last edited by Excellence; 05-21-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
hey! i've already figured out a way to not even add a wire externally... All you gota do is Tap the BROWN wire of the HIGHBEAM H7 plug ( inside ) with the BLACK wire on the XENON ballast plug. This will eliminate messing w/ the wiring on the car and just inside the light.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post

Those are BMW parts. Check this out:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=61&fg=15
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
This is 100% reversible. Do not worry a l l a n, if you are good with electrical work, you can always fix your wires. I have done a lot of testing to come up with this solution.

Thanks for the support. I will post videos as soon as I can find sometime to.
Oh and I have worked out a few other cool mods for the headlamp. I will later post a DIY for remote Angel Eyes (Unlocking Door, lights up angel eyes.)
Too bad I'm clueless on electrical stuff.

Yeah I was thinking, while you are at it, try to make the E90 angel eyes the DRL just like the E92. Not sure if this has been done already.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
i think i know a way A L L A N!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
i think i know a way A L L A N!
You do? Share it Andy!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Too bad I'm clueless on electrical stuff.

Yeah I was thinking, while you are at it, try to make the E90 angel eyes the DRL just like the E92. Not sure if this has been done already.
E90 Angel Eyes DRL I posted long time ago.

All you need to do is leave the headlight on 0 position, tap pin #1 to a power source, or even make your own switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
hey! i've already figured out a way to not even add a wire externally... All you gota do is Tap the BROWN wire of the HIGHBEAM H7 plug ( inside ) with the BLACK wire on the XENON ballast plug. This will eliminate messing w/ the wiring on the car and just inside the light.
You could have, but some people find it a pain in working inside the headlight. Especially when you have big hands.
I did it on the connector since, I had two pins available already.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
nsanbyker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Question for Excellence. Are you using ballasts and xenons?
      05-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
Question for Excellence. Are you using ballasts and xenons?
Yup

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #21
nsanbyker
Captain
United_States
Rep

So, just to make sure I understand. You got euro xenons with ballasts and bulbs and added one ground per light. No internal modifications. Just one ground per light? Thats pretty simple
      05-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Quote:
So, just to make sure I understand. You got euro xenons with ballasts and bulbs and added one ground per light. No internal modifications. Just one ground per light? Thats pretty simple
Correct. All you need to do is add the ground wire and connect it to the existing ground.
You do not need pin #5 (the shutter). The beam will be unaffected, however you will lose the Bi-Xenon functionality, in my opinion you really don't need it if you have high beams already.
Appreciate 0