E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My E92 335i log

07-31-2022, 07:29 AM   #133
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Week 3 done and the flare/filler templates for the LHS rear quarter were sorted out. RHS quarter has also been stripped to bare metal. The process with making up the RHS flare/filler pieces should be a fair bit quicker, as we now have a working template that simply needs to be mirrored.

I went to check out progress yesterday and these photos do zero justice. I was absolutely floored with what Dylan from Committed Composites did so far. The custom bumper looks flawless and would pass off as something that BMW made from factory, and the quarters look awesome. While I was initially very hesitant about the job and took a "just send it" attitude, seeing it in the flesh has quelled all doubt and I am very happy with the way things are going.

Dylan has former experience working at a bodyshop that focussed on custom panel/paint, and currently works at a BMW accredited shop. He is an artist, has a proper understanding of my vision for the car and is a proper BMW nut - the guy knows his way around late-model BMW's in particular.

He ended up attacking the rear quarters with a different method to that described in page 5, such that they can be filled and rust-proofed properly using the same method BMW uses from factory, and utilises 3 larger pieces of metal that are cut and hammered/dollied to shape, rather than a higher number of small metal plates which are then hammered and welded.

The custom M3 rear bumper, side skirts and inner guard liners all bolt on like they should from factory

Next step is to weld the LHS quarter together and then fill the inner quarter panel cavitied by accessing them from the cabin.

Once that's done, filler will be applied to the metal and things will be smoothed out so the panel has smooth contours and lines up flush with the rear bumper/side skirts, and retains appropriate panel gaps.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      08-08-2022, 12:38 AM   #134
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Another week has passed and we've made some more progress.

LHS flare all prepared and painted/coated on the inside. Ready for welding.

Made a lot of progress with the RHS. Just needs some minor work - should have everything welded on by the end of next Saturday. Then onto smoothing and prepwork.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails

Last edited by jzx_andy; 08-13-2022 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: pics disappeared!
Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      08-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #135
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Week 5 done and some great progress. Both quarter panel flares have been fabbed, welded, smoothed out and coated. The most tedious and trial/error part of the job is complete.

Now onto filling the inside cavities and smoothing/prepping the exterior skins. Have been told the car will be ready for collection in early September, can't wait to have her back and rip into everything else.
Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      08-20-2022, 03:28 AM   #136
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Another week and some more photos to share. Real happy with how it's looking.

Inner quarter cavities welded/sealed/coated.

We're on the home stretch now.
Appreciate 2
shannon1636.50
      10-15-2022, 04:37 AM   #137
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Any updates ?
      10-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #138
muney
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

nice build andy..would you have a link to the metal fenders you used..ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a cheap way to do all this..the rear quarter panels are worth alotta money, so i understand now why your doing it this way..
also you on fb/insta? need to reach out to you and ask a few questions too
cheers
Appreciate 1
jzx_andy245.00
      10-31-2022, 03:19 AM   #139
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Any updates ?
It's back in my garage.

I would like to get a little more work done on the outer radius of the rear quarter panel flares, so they're a little more seamless with the rest of the bodywork. This is something I should have picked up on prior to welding being done, as it basically means a lot will need to be sanded back and more metal or some fiberglass will need to be added. We haven't worked out how to move forward with this yet, as the car was collected on the basis that it'd need to sit for a month or two anyway to let all the products cure before doing any sort of sanding etc.

In all honesty this has made me lose a bit of motivation to work on it, as it is looking all crappy (in my view) and has a heap of panels that aren't the same colour as the car. But hey building a car like this is a pretty big learning and character building experience for an amateur like myself.

Since then I've fitted the F87 front brakes, dropped the rear subframe, stripped it completely. The subframe and rear knuckles are currently waiting patiently to have a bunch of stuff swapped in by the boys at G-Spec Bassendean.

Rear axle will be getting:
Solid subframe bushings
New wheel bearings
Lemforder ball joints for the trailing arm links and outer m3 control arm joints (Vince organised these as part of a group buy a year or two ago)
New Lemforder oem ball joints for the outer camber arm links
M3 diff and axles
E9x M3 front diff bushings
F30 rear diff bushing
F87 brakes
Stainless steel brake lines
E92 M3 rear sway
CMP Engineering adjustable rear sway bar end links
CMP Engineering ball joints for inner camber arm links

The front axle will be finished off with GAS monoballs being fitted to the front M3 tension struts (in place of the crappy open bushings), and an E92 M3 front sway setup.

I'll also need to get the M3 DCT driveshaft modified so it's the correct length and has the right flange to mount to an N54 manual box. I have been recommended DBS Malaga as being the go-to for custom BMW driveshaft work here in the Perth area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muney View Post
nice build andy..would you have a link to the metal fenders you used..ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a cheap way to do all this..the rear quarter panels are worth alotta money, so i understand now why your doing it this way..
also you on fb/insta? need to reach out to you and ask a few questions too
cheers
Thank you man. The widebody is a massive job. It would be easier if you can source the rear half of an E92 M3 shell and use those bits instead, or swap N54 running gear into an M3 shell with a cooked motor, but I do think the E92 M3 quarters are a bit strange in that the widest point is where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel, and not at 12 o'clock when facing the rear wheel / wheel arch dead on. I don't think the E90 M3 suffers from this issue, which sort of explains why I've always thought the E90 M3 sedan looks better proportioned than the E92/E93.

I bought a pair of flares from Ulterior Motives - https://www.umshop-store.com/

I am on insta (slowpoke_e92), but feel free to ask me anything via pm or in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #140
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Recently sorted out a bunch of handling bits that I'd purchased over the years. This included a set of brakes sourced from an F87 M2, the rear section of an E9x M3 driveline and various ball joints and small odds and ends.

Exhaust, propshaft, and rear subframe all had to come out, after which the subframe and knuckles were disassembled. The M3 propshaft required some custom work in order to adapt to the 335i manual box.

I also took the opportunity to change the pesky gearbox selector shaft seal that is prone to leaking and ruining the foam piece that sits inside the shaft.

Unfortunately my stupid ass didn't realise that I'd need to cut out chunks of the rear e9x 335i knuckles in order to fit the F87 brakes with an adapter kit. Being a street car, I wasn't too fond with removing material from knuckles, so I found a bolt on solution for the calipers, which involved replacing the rear caliper bushings with eccentric ones, using a pair of e6x 35i/45i/50i rear rotors, after which they were a bolt on affair.

Front brakes in

Rear subframe out

Knuckles and control arms overhauled, m3 axles fitted to knuckles

Subframe sorted out with new mounts and ball joints

Suspension and driveline assembled

Back on the ground and ready for the next phase

Here's a summary of all the handling goodness that's been fitted:

1M/M3 rear arms with lemforder ball joints pressed in to the outer links with cnc adapters (these arms only have ball jointed inners from factory)

GAS monoball kit for 2x 1M/M3 front control arms

Solid subframe mounts

ST XTA coilovers

E9x M3 front diff bushings

F3x rear diff bushing

E9x M3 halfshafts, e9x M3 3.15 (DCT) diff and customised M3 propshaft

E92 M3 f/r swaybars

Adjustable/ball jointed endlinks f/r

Lemforder ball joints fitted to trailing arm links and inner spring arm link (cnc housing and spacers required for the latter)

New fresh outer spring arm ball joint and lower shock mounts

Manzo adjustable rear toe arms (I've had this one for a while, but should probably replace it for a fancy ball jointed arm at this point)

Stoptech stainless brake lines

F8x steel front calipers, pads and front rotors

F8x steel rear calipers and pads and large E6x non-M rear rotors
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2023, 09:58 PM   #141
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Next up is a few small maintenance items and then onto removing the factory twins and doing some cool shit. I've also started ordering things to fab up a custom stainless exhaust, including these tips (will be keeping quads as I think they suit the car nicely) and a resonator.

The exhaust spec will be a single 3.5" pipe into the resonator, likely a 100cel cat converter, into the largest muffler I can possibly fit under the rear bar, and then split out into two pipes that end at the factory tip locations.

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2023, 11:50 PM   #142
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Had the car aligned last week and dialled in nicely. Drives great. Wheels will likely need 5-10mm spacers all round, and some thicker rubber!

On to removing the factory twins.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2023, 04:14 AM   #143
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Started pulling stuff off as I decided to tackle the single kit and maintenance at the same time.

Boost solenoids, thermo fan, chargepipe, intake manifold etc all out. Changed the starter motor. Ended up unbolting the subframe and lowered the front of the motor about 70mm to give me room to tackle the upper starter bolt. Heaps of room that way.

Did most of the valve cover and realised I don't have a deep enough 10mm socket to undo the 3 grounding posts. So that will be put on hold until a proper tool arrives.

Will soldier on in the meantime. Drain fluids, remove subframe and get those twins off!
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2023, 01:37 AM   #144
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
And then…….
      04-10-2023, 08:16 AM   #145
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Managed to do the valve cover, plugged the head ports, and didn't look at it for a couple of weeks. Life always gets in the way of hobbies

Got back onto it today though. Front subframe and turbos are off. So much easier than the rear, that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      04-11-2023, 08:10 AM   #146
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quite a job you have on the go there mate... how long until ur finished?
Appreciate 1
jzx_andy245.00
      04-11-2023, 09:46 PM   #147
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quite a job you have on the go there mate... how long until ur finished?
How long is a piece of string?

Will probably spend ages waiting for someone to be available to fab up an exhaust, and then again for the remaining bodywork and paint.

Realistically I will be lucky to have a painted car that's dialled in on a 98 tune by the end of the year. It's been a pretty big undertaking. Hope I don't blow a motor anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:36 PM   #148
EX0PIL0T
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
  [0.00]
New years progress?
Appreciate 0