E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > GYEON Q² Mohs EVO....

04-27-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

GYEON Q² Mohs EVO....

Spent a few hours washing/polishing the X5 yesterday and applied a coat of this stuff. Must say, it is incredibly easy to use.

After applying, the car basically looks very clean/shiny, not much different than when I clean and wax it normally. But I guess hopefully this coating will make it a bit more resistant to swirls etc?

Not sure I would ever pay someone $2k+ to do this for me....
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      04-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #2
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
I have been hearing good things about the GYEON line lately. It has me intrigued for sure.
      04-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #3
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Spent a few hours washing/polishing the X5 yesterday and applied a coat of this stuff. Must say, it is incredibly easy to use.

After applying, the car basically looks very clean/shiny, not much different than when I clean and wax it normally. But I guess hopefully this coating will make it a bit more resistant to swirls etc?

The process of applying the ceramic can be quite easy. The reason it does get up in cost is the prep phase can be pretty labor intensive.
      04-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #4
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
The process of applying the ceramic can be quite easy. The reason it does get up in cost is the prep phase can be pretty labor intensive.
True. I've ran into this problem lately trying to get Gyeon Pure installed. Detailers assume all their customers have no clue what they are inquiring about and start throwing out random numbers to take advantage of it. For example, I had a local mobile detailer quote $475 for a full exterior/interior decontamination ("single stage polish" included), but they apply CarPro Reload. When I asked how much it would be if I supplied Pure they quoted me $928 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
True. I've ran into this problem lately trying to get Gyeon Pure installed. Detailers assume all their customers have no clue what they are inquiring about and start throwing out random numbers to take advantage of it. For example, I had a local mobile detailer quote $475 for a full exterior/interior decontamination ("single stage polish" included), but they apply CarPro Reload. When I asked how much it would be if I supplied Pure they quoted me $928 lol
Just out of interest, what made you choose Pure over Evo?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #6
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Just out of interest, what made you choose Pure over Evo?
Evo is the new line from Gyeon. Pure, MOHS, and Cancoat are the individual products. The Gyeon installer in San Diego (seperate from the one I described above) mentioned he sees Pure with more of a "candy" look in terms of appearance and I have Dravit paint so wanted to take advantage of that. However I hear much better things about MOHS. Overall doesn't seem like you can go wrong with Gyeon they have been crushing it in the industry for the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Evo is the new line from Gyeon. Pure, MOHS, and Cancoat are the individual products. The Gyeon installer in San Diego (seperate from the one I described above) mentioned he sees Pure with more of a "candy" look in terms of appearance and I have Dravit paint so wanted to take advantage of that. However I hear much better things about MOHS. Overall doesn't seem like you can go wrong with Gyeon they have been crushing it in the industry for the past few years.

Thx.
I bought my bottle in the fall. I think I had watched one of the comparison youtube vids between MOHS and pure. I can't remember why specifically I chose MOHS, but now I find myself wondering what the effect would be if I threw a layer of Pure on top of the MOHS.....
Appreciate 1
Nettles756.50
      04-28-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

The professional ceramic coating game is an absolute scam. These new cars don't need a substantial amount of paint correction and all you need is a consumer grade ceramic coating. It's wild how much they charge for something that should cost $750 - $1,000 at most.
Appreciate 3
Nettles756.50
chris7197273.00
LuvMyE922993.50
      04-28-2023, 01:49 PM   #9
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
The professional ceramic coating game is an absolute scam. These new cars don't need a substantial amount of paint correction and all you need is a consumer grade ceramic coating. It's wild how much they charge for something that should cost $1,000 at most.
Agree 100%
I get that you are largely paying for the paint correction / prep work, but for half a day of work (if that) and a $75 bottle of coating its pretty steep. Here on east coast of Canada, I was quoted roughly $2900 with tax for a ceramic coating on the X5....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 02:22 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

It won't make it any more resistant to swirls, it's just going to be a long lasting sealant basically, which is still great. Mohs Evo is a softer coating but I don't think any of them really prevent swirls or scratches. Even the ones that say "9H" well, that's on the ASTM pencil scale, not 9 on the mohs scale. People will tell you they are more swirl resistant, but I highly doubt it in reality.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:48 PM   #11
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Guys your car will never be shinier then after it’s been paint corrected. No product increases gloss. It simply locks it in. Mohs is their top product last I checked and it’s been a while. Hard and long lasting.

Can coat is easiest to apply and most hydrophobic. It’s not as long lasting as a true ceramic coating but it’s very quick and easy for a non trained person to apply.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 01:14 PM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have both Mohs Evo and Can Coat Evo.

I applied Mohs to the inside and outside of my wheels... bad idea. The inside is so slick that no wheel weights will stick! They flew off a few times while driving. This is after the shop used a chemical cleaner and then stuck the weights on. The solution is to stick aluminum tape over the wheel weights so it can stick better. Great coating but just be aware if you using on wheels.

I use Can Coat Evo for car paint. It has been going very well. I used the prior can coat and I can get up to a year on that when they say 6 months durability. Can coat evo is rated for 1 year so I anticipate 1+ year durability from the Evo version. It is super easy to apply as well. 1 bottle will do 6-7 cars so it's economical. But it will go bad if you let it sit so if you don't have multiple cars to do, it can be wasteful - you'll throw it away before a bottle is done.
      05-10-2023, 05:05 PM   #13
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Here's mine after a full decontamination and a stage 1 polish.

Full front end Gyeon Protect+ PPF and the rest of the paintwork coated with Gyeon Q² MOHS EVO.

Appreciate 3
Game7274.00
Nettles756.50
chris7197273.00
      05-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #14
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Guys your car will never be shinier then after it’s been paint corrected. No product increases gloss. It simply locks it in. Mohs is their top product last I checked and it’s been a while. Hard and long lasting.

Can coat is easiest to apply and most hydrophobic. It’s not as long lasting as a true ceramic coating but it’s very quick and easy for a non trained person to apply.
They actually revised their entire ceramic line last year (nicknamed "Evo". I've heard great things in terms of application, slickness and gloss. Durability is obviously still up in the air but it's a safe assumption it'll do well.