E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sunroof Anti-Trap Error - Clearing Code

05-17-2023, 10:38 PM   #1
kombatwombat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Sunroof Anti-Trap Error - Clearing Code

Hello all, first post but a warm thanks to all for your help I've previously found through lurking.

My 2009 E90 325i's sunroof has failed. I left it in the tilt-open position to vent while parked, and when I got back and tried to close it it wouldn't budge, and the Sunroof Slide/Tilt Anti-Trap Function Error message appeared on the dash and iDrive. I tried the re-initialisation process (thanks to this forum) in various ways and I can hear it click as it tries to start the process, but it won't move. I took it to a sunroof repairer and he set it closed to at least keep the rain (and spiders) out.

The repairer reckons the motor's probably the failure point. I generally don't actually use the sunroof, just the manual shade slide which works fine, so I'm not really keen to pay to rectify the tilt/open function. I'm happy as is, but I have the Anti-Trap Error come up every time I turn the car on and the check control symbol on constantly.

My question is whether it's possible to clear the error code. I have a simple OBD2 reader unit, but it doesn't register the error. Can I remove the error by buying say an OBD2/USB connector and downloading a more effective reading/clearing program on my laptop? Or is this a case where the car will do a check every time I turn the ignition on, so even if I clear the error it will throw every time I turn it on?

I asked my local independent mechanic but they're not interested in trying. The BMW dealer meanwhile will charge $275 just for walking in the door - even if all they do is say 'sorry mate, can't be cleared'.

Thank you all.

TL;DR - is it possible to clear the Anti-Trap Function Error?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatwombat View Post
Hello all, first post but a warm thanks to all for your help I've previously found through lurking.

My 2009 E90 325i's sunroof has failed. I left it in the tilt-open position to vent while parked, and when I got back and tried to close it it wouldn't budge, and the Sunroof Slide/Tilt Anti-Trap Function Error message appeared on the dash and iDrive. I tried the re-initialisation process (thanks to this forum) in various ways and I can hear it click as it tries to start the process, but it won't move. I took it to a sunroof repairer and he set it closed to at least keep the rain (and spiders) out.

The repairer reckons the motor's probably the failure point. I generally don't actually use the sunroof, just the manual shade slide which works fine, so I'm not really keen to pay to rectify the tilt/open function. I'm happy as is, but I have the Anti-Trap Error come up every time I turn the car on and the check control symbol on constantly.

My question is whether it's possible to clear the error code. I have a simple OBD2 reader unit, but it doesn't register the error. Can I remove the error by buying say an OBD2/USB connector and downloading a more effective reading/clearing program on my laptop? Or is this a case where the car will do a check every time I turn the ignition on, so even if I clear the error it will throw every time I turn it on?

I asked my local independent mechanic but they're not interested in trying. The BMW dealer meanwhile will charge $275 just for walking in the door - even if all they do is say 'sorry mate, can't be cleared'.

Thank you all.

TL;DR - is it possible to clear the Anti-Trap Function Error?
Yes the error can be cleared but it will take more then a consumer level plug in.

Here is a link that might help

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=mechanics
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:48 PM   #3
kombatwombat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Yes the error can be cleared but it will take more then a consumer level plug in.
Ok great, thanks. Do you know if it will stay cleared so long as I don’t touch the sunroof button?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatwombat View Post
Ok great, thanks. Do you know if it will stay cleared so long as I don’t touch the sunroof button?
As far as I know
But if you have a fault is probably best to get it fixed and the warning coded out
Appreciate 0