E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car running poorly, misfire cylinder 4, data log inside

07-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
Northeast335xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi e90 6MT

Car running poorly, misfire cylinder 4, data log inside

Car initially threw a code for HPFP (Which is only a few thousand old so I really don't think it's that), JB4 said to adjust FOL so I played with that like the boards said. I tried 80, 75, 70, etc. Car would run okay but then go into limp mode and throw the same code again. It might not have anything to do with it, but this all started when we started experiencing some unseasonable heat (85 in Maine every day, nothing compared to other states obviously, but different than my normal driving conditions).

I cleared the codes and drove around tonight when it cooled down. Car ran great until I got on it, around 5k I got fuel cut and it backfired. It threw a misfire code for cylinder 4 (29D0 or 29DO can't tell if zero or "o"). I cleared the codes and took it easy home, and it ran terribly the whole time, throwing 29DC cylinder-injection off.

My car is an '07, and my BMW dealership mechanic friend said that he noticed my injectors were still Index 1 when we were plugging around before when I had an issue with a crankshaft position sensor, so they are 10 years old.

Should I start by switching plugs and coil packs around, or is there anything from the logs that would point out it's specifically an injector issue? The logs are Greek to me. I'm thinking I might want to just go ahead and by Index 12 at this point but I also just saw Rock Auto is out of stock which is a bummer. Sorry this is rambling. Any help appreciated. Sorry I don't have to logs now, I took them tonight but screwed up the export (didn't export as an image) since this is my first time doing it.

UPDATE: Tried new coils, result is the same. Stumbling idle, misfires and goes into limp under load. New spark plugs are on the way but from everything I have read it does sound like injectors. Here is the log:

Last edited by Northeast335xi; 08-03-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

If you don't know how old the plugs and coil packs are, do those first. You can purchase both together for around $240.00 shipped.
      08-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Northeast335xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi e90 6MT

updated with log, anyone good at interpreting these? Spark plugs are on the way but there's only about 10k on these so I don't think that's the issue.