E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > M3 driveshaft and csb tension

02-24-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
tryffis
Rep
Drives: 335CiA

M3 driveshaft and csb tension

Hey,

Im installing m3 rear axle to my 335i with modified drive shaft and now just wondering if the centre support should be installed under tension to the rubber or resting as in normal state?

Also i assumed when i took the measures that the 20mm play in the driveshaft should settle just in the middle when it is installed to the diff and guibo?

Since there is kinda loose holes on the csb, i can install it under tension or not so wich way is the right one?

Thanks for help.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Dunno if this helps you at all?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf m3 diff.pdf (717.9 KB, 77 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

It should not be any tension. Since you are re-working just the rear part don't worry about the 20mm. Just make the shaft proper length.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
tryffis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
It should not be any tension. Since you are re-working just the rear part don't worry about the 20mm. Just make the shaft proper length.
Yeah that's how we fitted the bearing, everything runs fine now. Actually rear part is the same and working on transmission side or idk if thats what u meant.

We had to take another measures since workshop messed up on the first try. I just gave them both shafts. It was 20mm too short, so i needed to know how we would position the flexing joint for another measure. So we just measured 10mm too short at full length and 30mm when joint pressed in and then made the shaft 20mm longer. Thanks still
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryffis View Post
Yeah that's how we fitted the bearing, everything runs fine now. Actually rear part is the same and working on transmission side or idk if thats what u meant.

We had to take another measures since workshop messed up on the first try. I just gave them both shafts. It was 20mm too short, so i needed to know how we would position the flexing joint for another measure. So we just measured 10mm too short at full length and 30mm when joint pressed in and then made the shaft 20mm longer. Thanks still
You need to rework the rear, not the front since. If you using m3 shaft and cut off the front flange (because m3 and non m are different) the center bearing won't line up. Easiest and proven to work is just modifying the rear part.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:54 AM   #6
tryffis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You need to rework the rear, not the front since. If you using m3 shaft and cut off the front flange (because m3 and non m are different) the center bearing won't line up. Easiest and proven to work is just modifying the rear part.
It lined up 100% correctly. Front flange wont fit from m3 shaft to 335. Ofcourse since the subframe is also swapped and the mounting points for both, the csb and the subframe are the same because same body. Also we swapped the 335 centre mount to m3 cardan to make the height correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryffis View Post
It lined up 100% correctly. Front flange wont fit from m3 shaft to 335. Ofcourse since the subframe is also swapped and the mounting points for both, the csb and the subframe are the same because same body. Also we swapped the 335 centre mount to m3 cardan to make the height correct.
Ok, now understand, you modified the front, and swapped the center bearing to non M so it lines up.
Appreciate 0