E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The Smell of Burnt Oil

09-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #23
BMW_328xDRIVE_SS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I Xdriver

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum, but I have a used 2011 BMW 335I (Xdrive) with almost 150K miles. When I bought the car, it had a couple of known issues such as a burning oil smell and smoke coming from the engine bay (on the passenger side). I changed the VGC, but the burning smell still exists and also smoke coming from the engine bay. I took it to a mechanic and he did his diag and said that the Oil level sensor is leaking which may be causing the burning smell as it may be splashing oil on the exhaust. The Oil Filter Gasket seems to be fine (no visible leaks).

I am very concerned about the smoke as it is getting worse. I can even see the smoke from inside the car after a 30-minute drive. The smoke can be seen coming out of the engine bay with the hood closed.

Any ideas what else may be wrong that is causing the smoke/oil leaks?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #24
marty1966
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011_BMW335I View Post
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum, but I have a used 2011 BMW 335I (Xdrive) with almost 150K miles. When I bought the car, it had a couple of known issues such as a burning oil smell and smoke coming from the engine bay (on the passenger side). I changed the VGC, but the burning smell still exists and also smoke coming from the engine bay. I took it to a mechanic and he did his diag and said that the Oil level sensor is leaking which may be causing the burning smell as it may be splashing oil on the exhaust. The Oil Filter Gasket seems to be fine (no visible leaks).

I am very concerned about the smoke as it is getting worse. I can even see the smoke from inside the car after a 30-minute drive. The smoke can be seen coming out of the engine bay with the hood closed.

Any ideas what else may be wrong that is causing the smoke/oil leaks?
Did you ever get this sorted? I have similar smell, but only for a minute or two upon cold start. Valve cover looks a but wet in spots but it's on cold start???
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #25
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1966 View Post
Did you ever get this sorted? I have similar smell, but only for a minute or two upon cold start. Valve cover looks a but wet in spots but it's on cold start???
It's the vcg. The headers get very hot within seconds of being started.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #26
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Initially that is what happens. Then as the leak gets worse smoke will start coming out from under the hood. This engine leaks like a sieve.

Look on the passenger side of the valve cover and see if there is oil leaking there and down to the exhaust manifold. A new valve cover gasket will not solve the problem, it will take a new valve cover.

Another leak spot would be the "football" valvetronic motor gasket. And oil will flow down to the cylinder head and the manifold too.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597467

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1966 View Post
Appreciate 0