E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > LCI Headlight Adjustment Left/Right Bracket Disconnected

05-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

LCI Headlight Adjustment Left/Right Bracket Disconnected

Hello all,

Recently purchased some LCI headlights. From reading, it seems a pot hole can cause this. The manual adjustment arm for left<->right is off the knob and needs to hooked back on.

Pic of unhooked bracket

Pic of LH headlight with correctly hooked bracket

I tried to fidget with it an hour before I went to sleep for work. It moved to a new spot in front of the circle. Going to mess with it more tonight.

Anyone have experience with this? There is room to move the assembly around inside the housing but not quite enough to get the knob hooked back in the circle. Don't want to force it until I hear a couple more opinions.

There was a lot of threads on the servo motor knob(2nd point of attachment) getting unhooked and people putting that back in. However, mine is in good. There is supposedly 3 points of attachment, not sure where the 3rd is.
      05-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
If you keep playing with it you can make it go back in, I had to adjust the headlight so it goes in with least resistance possible and held it by the xenon socket to slide it back it.

Note..
It will always keep popping out with decent sized potholes. (at least for me and NYC roads)

3 adjustments
2 are adjustable via screw driver.
3rd is the vertical control motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZuc View Post
If you keep playing with it you can make it go back in, I had to adjust the headlight so it goes in with least resistance possible and held it by the xenon socket to slide it back it.

Note..
It will always keep popping out with decent sized potholes. (at least for me and NYC roads)

3 adjustments
2 are adjustable via screw driver.
3rd is the vertical control motor.

Thanks a lot for the info! So you adjusted the vertical movement and horizontal movement in a convenient spot to slide it in. I will try it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdara View Post
Thanks a lot for the info! So you adjusted the vertical movement and horizontal movement in a convenient spot to slide it in. I will try it out.
Exactly sometimes I had one adjustment maxed out and the other in opposite direction just to provide a better more convenient way into the socket without breaking/wearing it out. (plastic it scratches)

Best of luck, I'm sure you got it!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got it back in. Had to disconnect servo motor which is part 63117046049, vertical aim control motor. Remove the two screws(LCI)**, then pull as hard as possible. Hand strength wasnt doing it for me, so I used 2 hooks and inserted them where the screw holes were and pulled pretty hard while holding assembly down. Do remove the plug into motor before removing.

**The prelci motor is not held in by two screws and instead must be twisted to clear tabs and pulled out. The LCI requires no twisting as far as I know.

Once thats removed, I used bent vice grips and inserted them through the side marker led hole to grip the control arm for L<>R movement and bent it slighty to the side. From there the + knob can be forced back into the hole on the control arm via holding D1S bulb area. It did take quite a bit of force. I came in at a angle from the top front of the hole.

Once done, insert vertical aim control motor(aka servo motor), push it in as you pull back on the assembly and it should pop back in.

Hope this helps someone in future as there wasnt much info on it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Holy thread revival

My up and down movement is working, the headlights do the "check" upon start up, but my left and right movement is not working. I checked the inside of the headlight by removing the wheel well cover and found the up and down motor intact and in it's socket, but could not find the left and right motor. Could somebody take a picture and show where the left and right motor is located? I feel like a lot of people focus on the up and down movement but their isn't nearly enough information on the left and right movement.
Appreciate 0