E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Smoother shifts when cold? (6MT)

12-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #1
CRUSHER_MKVIII
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i SEDAN

Garage List
Smoother shifts when cold? (6MT)

I drove my e90 325i with the manual tranny and it was cold out in the morning (13 degrees celsius). Shifting was the smoothest I've ever felt. However, after work (24 degrees celsius), I was driving home and it was clear to me that the car wasnt shifting as smooth as it was in the morning.

It got me thinking, Is the viscosity of the redline transmission fluid (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263206192056) getting thinner as it gets warm? Thats the only explanation I can come up with. Should I go for oem MTF - LT - 2 fluid next time I change the transmission fluid?

Or is the problem with my clutch/flywheel that hasn't been changed since ever (not that I know of)? Also, if it's never been changed, its 215,000km old lol.

I probably need a new flywheel/clutch considering I can hear the low rpm metallic rattle thats apparently from the clutch springs. It still grabs though.

Last edited by CRUSHER_MKVIII; 12-29-2021 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: wanted to add what redline fluid I used.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHER_MKVIII View Post
I drove my e90 325i with the manual tranny and it was cold out in the morning (13 degrees celsius). Shifting was the smoothest I've ever felt. However, after work (24 degrees celsius), I was driving home and it was clear to me that the car wasnt shifting as smooth as it was in the morning.

It got me thinking, Is the viscosity of the redline transmission fluid (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263206192056) getting thinner as it gets warm? Thats the only explanation I can come up with. Should I go for oem MTF - LT - 2 fluid next time I change the transmission fluid?

Or is the problem with my clutch/flywheel that hasn't been changed since ever (not that I know of)? Also, if it's never been changed, its 215,000km old lol.

I probably need a new flywheel/clutch considering I can hear the low rpm metallic rattle thats apparently from the clutch springs. It still grabs though.
Redline D4 is much better option!
Appreciate 0