E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > cop "hooked me up" today on my way home from school...

09-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Boost View Post
I don't think he's a douche for doing his job.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by persianamir View Post
obviously he knows clocking me at 91 over 90 gives the city an extra 30% income. I very well may have been going 89 or 87 for that matter. why would he clock me at exactly 1 mile over?
doesn't matter, the fact u're still trying to justify u being caught over the posted speed limit is silly. everyone speeds, that's a fact. u got caught, u knew the consequences whether it was 1 over 90 or 2 less than 90, and it doesn't matter at this point.

pay up, go to traffic school and get on with it

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09

what a hook up >_>
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
ItsmeX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2013 M5, 2007 SL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
+1

doesn't matter, the fact u're still trying to justify u being caught over the posted speed limit is silly. everyone speeds, that's a fact. u got caught, u knew the consequences whether it was 1 over 90 or 2 less than 90, and it doesn't matter at this point.

pay up, go to traffic school and get on with it
im not justifying the speeding. everyone speeds i got caught that is true. but there is a reason he wrote 91 over 90...i really dont know what it could have been I talked to him with respect, answered truthfully...im not upset with the ticket im upset with the speed he wrote. there is def a reason again for the 91
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
well you're the idiot for driving 91mph in a 65 (WTF YOU THINKING?!?). the "hook up" was to slap you in the face with a ticket and well deserved 380 plus so that you don't do it again and possibly hurt others in the future.

PEACE and drive safe sucka.

thats retarded, on a highway with little traffic 90 mph is really not that fast at all, and act like you got a 335i because it is slow, you wanted it for the motor.

that sucks you got a ticket bro......cops never do favors........and i have yet to ever have a cop do anything that has helped me ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
First question:

Did he actually "clock" (radar/lidar/laser) you? Or did he simply go behind you and pace you a bit before pulling you over?

No matter what, next time don't admit guilt. If you are asked why you are pulled over, you politely ask the officer to enlighten you. In this case, your honesty worked against you. You can be respectful, and even honest, but NEVER ADMIT GUILT. If you are asked how fast you were going, you reply, "I was traveling at a safe speed officer." By letting the officer know how fast you were going, you basically filled out the ticket for him.

Especially for pacing, if you admit guilt, it corroborates what the cop assumes so he feels justified in putting you into the next bracket. It's nothing personal, it's just how much the officer feels he can reasonably "charge" you.

Pacing is just bogus because it's basically how fast the cop thinks you are going by following you. Since the number is what he thinks is accurate and since it is discretionary, your admission of guilt serves you no purpose.

--

Also, this tactic has worked for me before. But if you zip by a cop and he doesn't catch up to you for a good minute I would calmly tell the officer that he got the wrong person. I described the car he meant to catch in detail and the the officer furrowed his brow.

Again best to practice good driving habits but if you're in a pinch I hope this advice helps.

Regardless, I've gotten 5 speeding tickets from 2010 - 2011.

--

Last tip. If you're going to talk to the officer, you better do it before you hand over your license and registration. Once you hand it over and he heads back you're getting ticket no matter what.

Last edited by jasonn; 09-02-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchomini View Post
thats retarded, on a highway with little traffic 90 mph is really not that fast at all, and act like you got a 335i because it is slow, you wanted it for the motor.

that sucks you got a ticket bro......cops never do favors........and i have yet to ever have a cop do anything that has helped me ever.
This really depends on the car. I've been driving a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee lately and anything above 85mph I feel like I'm gambling with my life.

Whereas in my 3 series 100mph can easily feel like 60mph.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
well you're the idiot for driving 91mph in a 65 (WTF YOU THINKING?!?). the "hook up" was to slap you in the face with a ticket and well deserved 380 plus so that you don't do it again and possibly hurt others in the future.

PEACE and drive safe sucka.

If you genuinely feel like cops don't do anything that has helped you. Then do the guys/girls that put their lives on the line for anybody a favor and wait for the fire dept to save your life when bullets are flying. my 2 cents......
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
ItsmeX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2013 M5, 2007 SL55

he asked me how fast I was going and i replied about 80 mph and then he said I got u clocked at 91 do u want to see? well ive been driving like this every day for about 5 or 6 years now and this is my first speeding ticket...we shall see if my habits change just temporarily or permanently. I have no disrespect toward police officers im studying criminal justice at CSUN, its just the fact that he put that extra mph for a reason that annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
im not justifying the speeding. everyone speeds i got caught that is true. but there is a reason he wrote 91 over 90...i really dont know what it could have been I talked to him with respect, answered truthfully...im not upset with the ticket im upset with the speed he wrote. there is def a reason again for the 91
u win some and u lose some. you might hav just been the latter for his day. it's like getting clocked 100, but the guy will give u 99. idk.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #32
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoxl View Post
If you genuinely feel like cops don't do anything that has helped you. Then do the guys/girls that put their lives on the line for anybody a favor and wait for the fire dept to save your life when bullets are flying. my 2 cents......
Has a cop ever helped you when the bullets are flying.....ever, have you ever had bullets flying around you, do you think that some cop is just going to teleport in between you and a bullet if someone is going to shoot you, or that they are going to show up within even five minutes of you calling them? I hate to break it to you bud but if you are somewhere where bullets are flying get yourself outta theredont wait for a cop. They dont do anything, and I have my own weapons or firearms to protect myself if I need it, because if you cant take care of yourself when weapons are involved dont hold your breath for a cop to appear
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #33
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Driving back home from a long 4 hour class and lab and get pulled over on the 170 S. officer clocked me at 91. Asked me a few questions and said that he did me a favor by writing exceeding 65mph on the ticket code is 22349(a). but where it says approximate speed down below he wrote 91. just curious on to what the favor was? looking it up online 16-25 mph over 65 its 260 and over 25 is 380...in other words he fckd me for that 1 mph
Don't know how it is in CA, but in CT cops can arrest you if you are doing over 85. So, may be he did you a favor that he did not arrest you?
      09-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #34
bmwkbiker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMBaM4002 View Post
hook up meaning he didnt get you for reckless driving. Just a simple speeding ticket, which you can do traffic school for.
Yup, 25mph over the speed limit is sufficient in itself for a reckless driving charge.

Quote:
he asked me how fast I was going and i replied about 80 mph and then he said I got u clocked at 91 do u want to see? well ive been driving like this every day for about 5 or 6 years now and this is my first speeding ticket...
Did you really believe 80? Cops take offense to being BSed.

CHP: Do you know how fast you were driving?
YOU: Oh it might have been around 80

CHP: Now thinks you don't respect "the badge" or almost as bad you where doing 90+ an weren't even aware of fast you where going.

Last edited by bmwkbiker; 09-02-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #35
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoxl View Post
Has a cop ever helped you when the bullets are flying.....ever, have you ever had bullets flying around you, do you think that some cop is just going to teleport in between you and a bullet if someone is going to shoot you, or that they are going to show up within even five minutes of you calling them? I hate to break it to you bud but if you are somewhere where bullets are flying get yourself outta theredont wait for a cop. They dont do anything, and I have my own weapons or firearms to protect myself if I need it, because if you cant take care of yourself when weapons are involved dont hold your breath for a cop to appear
I myself have a large percentage of family and friends in local PDs/military. And YES, some of us have been involved in active shooting incidents.(i.e. North Hollywood) I have even lost a friend in the line of duty recently. I have nothing against you but it might be wise to consider at the very least what some people do for a living. I'm all for people who bear their own arms and protect themselves and their family. But it's pretty ignorant to say what you have said when you don't know anything about me. I respect people and what they do for a living and am not judgmental about it. Bottom line is, if you're so unhappy about getting pulled over and cited for a traffic or moving violation, fight the ticket. But keep in mind that you wouldn't have gotten the ticket to begin with if you were simply following the law.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #36
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Just do a trial by written declaration. I just got a 85 in a 70 ticket dismissed and a full refund on my money I have a great write up if you're interested, you'd just have to change my info to yours and turn that shit in. It also helps a lot to do extensions on the ticket because the more time that passes, the greater chance the cop will forget who you are! Or if you haven't done traffic school in the last 18 months, you could choose to do that but you'll still have to pay the fine which sucks because not only are you going to have to pay the ticket, but you have to pay for traffic school.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #37
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

One more thing, don't say ONE word to the officer when he is talking to you because everything you say he writes down and uses it against you. I usually just hand him my shit, sign my ticket and drive off without saying anything and that's why my tickets usually get dismissed! The more trouble you give the cop, the more likely he's going to remember you when he has to do his write up on your written declaration. My cop buddy has taught me a few things about what to do and what not to do when talking to an officer and it's def helped!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #38
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

if you really wanna be aware of your speeds, get slightly bent rims or unbalanced, it really shakes at speeds about 70 it'll teach you to time your moments of when you'd wanna speed. Common guys, everyone's acting like they've never opened their car up before. I'm SURE everyone has at one time or another. Give the kid a break, The cop could've arrested you, took you to court, towed your car, claim you were avoiding arrest and the list goes on and on. Next time just be careful. a few hundred is better than being on probation or having a suspended license for excessive use of speeds. He could've been a douche and wrote 101, how would you prove you weren't going that fast? after all you said that you didn't notice how fast you were going. At any speeds of being caught over 100 that's car towed away, arrested. and more but luckly he wrote you a ticket and let you continue with your night. Just be greatful that that was hoonestly all he was doing. Also so cal freeways suck late at night. Buckets usually don't have their lights on drive around hoping for an accident so they can get a new car..... just a word of advice. Plus if he really wanted to be a douche, he could've called backup and claimed that "you were racing another vehicle." - it happens to everyone if you have the wrong officer... and +1 to what jasonn said.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #39
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
First question:

Did he actually "clock" (radar/lidar/laser) you? Or did he simply go behind you and pace you a bit before pulling you over?

No matter what, next time don't admit guilt. If you are asked why you are pulled over, you politely ask the officer to enlighten you. In this case, your honesty worked against you. You can be respectful, and even honest, but NEVER ADMIT GUILT. If you are asked how fast you were going, you reply, "I was traveling at a safe speed officer." By letting the officer know how fast you were going, you basically filled out the ticket for him.

Especially for pacing, if you admit guilt, it corroborates what the cop assumes so he feels justified in putting you into the next bracket. It's nothing personal, it's just how much the officer feels he can reasonably "charge" you.

Pacing is just bogus because it's basically how fast the cop thinks you are going by following you. Since the number is what he thinks is accurate and since it is discretionary, your admission of guilt serves you no purpose.

--

Also, this tactic has worked for me before. But if you zip by a cop and he doesn't catch up to you for a good minute I would calmly tell the officer that he got the wrong person. I described the car he meant to catch in detail and the the officer furrowed his brow.

Again best to practice good driving habits but if you're in a pinch I hope this advice helps.

Regardless, I've gotten 5 speeding tickets from 2010 - 2011.

--

Last tip. If you're going to talk to the officer, you better do it before you hand over your license and registration. Once you hand it over and he heads back you're getting ticket no matter what.
you should get a radar after i got my first, i left the speed to the mountains where the cops can't get to me hahaha
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #40
byoung8
Legendary
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 TiAg

Sucks you got that extra mph. He was doing his job an collecting for his paycheck. Everyone has to work. But it definitely is luck of the draw with what kind of cop you get. Sounds like the hook up was not putting down reckless driving.

'07 335i E90 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
false, they can go check to see if you have any previous tickets/priors before deciding if they should let you go and if you're not lying to them..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #42
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Quote:

I guess I've gotten luckier than most driver on here.

Reason 1: I have no idea what was going through my head but a couple years ago on New Years Eve, I was doing close to 100mph on a 40mph zone and a cop pulled me over and was heavily interrogating me and just making me realize that I f'ed up without coming off as an asshole. I was let off the hook shortly after with nothing more than a "please more carefully next time, especially on holidays". This was my first BMW that I shared with my parents which was a 4.6is X5 and honestly, I didn't even know I picked up that fast with it being fully loaded, and BIG high performance tires.

Reason 2: About 4 days ago, driving down to SoCal from San Jose, right when 152 merges onto the 5, my friend was clocked doing ~95 in a 65 in his e46 M3. The lady asked if he knew how fast he was going in which he replied around 85. She took the paper work and returned saying "since you were honest with me, something that I don't get very often, I'll let you slide but I'm going to write you up a fix-it for the tint. In the end, we would have been paying close to $400 or so for speeding but we ended up with a $25 fix-it for tints and no plates, although the plate wasn't stated on the ticket as a fix-it.

In the end, it all comes down to your driving habit and luck. Personally, since that New Year's day, I haven't been pulled over (knock on my woodgrain trim) by a cop for speeding which I still do occasionally. People can view this post as irresponsible and such but for every ticket you EARN, hopefully that deters you from repeating your actions which one day may yield heavier consequences than a couple hundred dollar ticket.

TL;DR?

Just be cautious driving. Traffic signs are posted for a reason.