E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shopping for an N54 335i

08-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
turbolovah
Voosh
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sport

Shopping for an N54 335i

Hey guys I'm new here, let me start out this post by saying "I am determined."
I come from a largely Japanese tuner background which I gave up years ago in lieu of the mature boring economy car. I've recently decided to "get back in the game" so to say but with something more refined and sexy (enter the 335i).
I plan on getting a 2007-2009 e90 or e92 and am aware of all the guilty flaws (water pump, oil cooler, turbos, wastegate, etc). I've been stalking these forums for the better part of 4 months feeding my brain with e90 knowledge.
My budget is 10k for the car, and I'll upgrade as things go bad.

My main question is whether or not to wait for a good deal on a sports edition or to take advantage of a clean well maintained base model, what exactly are ALL the Differences?

I know the non sports edition lacks the necessary oil cooler, and has chrome trim, but other than that, I'm having a hard time finding the differences. I've heard people mention a sports seat but I have not found pictures, and a tighter steering ratio but I have not confirmed this. Does the sport package have the speed dependent electronic assist system standard? Is this something that people like? I want really tight steering, I don't know which system provides that, or how to even check to see which one is present on the car.
So yes, though I have been doing my research, it is not enough, and I ask you guys, the experienced experts, for help in my task of selecting the correct package for me.

Thanks
-Randy

Last edited by turbolovah; 08-13-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Barrique91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Personally I would wait for a sport package. When looking for my car it was the only option I needed. The sport seats make all the difference. The non sport seats feel like you are in some cheap "non-sporty" car, they have no side bolstering and are ugly. Toyota highlanders have more side bolstering than the non sport seats. The main differences are in the leg extender "things"(not sure what the official name is), and the adjustable side bolstering. The sport seats and sport wheel are my favorite part about the interior. Top photo is non-sport, bottom photo is sport. Best thing to do is to test drive a car without sport package and one with it. Best of luck.
Attached Images

08-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Search and read thoroughly through these threads for various information and buying tips.

How to buy a used E9X BMW 3 Series This is a sticky on the top of this forum.

A Buyer/Owners Guide to the N54 engine & the E9X 335i

As for your question, you can't wait for a good deal like a new car and pick the particular options you want. You have to go out search for the car that already has most or all the options you want.
One thing to note. The E90s (Sedan) do not come standard with the sport suspension so you'd need to find one that has the Sports Package option. As for the E92 (coupe), they come standard with the sport suspension no matter if it is the base model or has the Sports Package option.
You can also search this forum on this type of information which has been discussed over and over and over and over......
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
turbolovah
Voosh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Search and read thoroughly through these threads for various information and buying tips.

How to buy a used E9X BMW 3 Series This is a sticky on the top of this forum.

A Buyer/Owners Guide to the N54 engine & the E9X 335i

As for your question, you can't wait for a good deal like a new car and pick the particular options you want. You have to go out search for the car that already has most or all the options you want.
One thing to note. The E90s (Sedan) do not come standard with the sport suspension so you'd need to find one that has the Sports Package option. As for the E92 (coupe), they come standard with the sport suspension no matter if it is the base model or has the Sports Package option.
You can also search this forum on this type of information which has been discussed over and over and over and over......
I appreciate that info, will definitely wait for a sport edition of the sedan in that case, without worrying too much about the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
turbolovah
Voosh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique91 View Post
Personally I would wait for a sport package. When looking for my car it was the only option I needed. The sport seats make all the difference. The non sport seats feel like you are in some cheap "non-sporty" car, they have no side bolstering and are ugly. Toyota highlanders have more side bolstering than the non sport seats. The main differences are in the leg extender "things"(not sure what the official name is), and the adjustable side bolstering. The sport seats and sport wheel are my favorite part about the interior. Top photo is non-sport, bottom photo is sport. Best thing to do is to test drive a car without sport package and one with it. Best of luck.
Awesome! Thanks for the pictures, it is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolovah View Post
I come from a largely Japanese tuner background which I gave up years ago in lieu of the mature boring economy car. I've recently decided to "get back in the game" so to say but with something more refined and sexy (enter the 335i).
I plan on getting a 2007-2009 e90 or e92 and am aware of all the guilty flaws (water pump, oil cooler, turbos, wastegate, etc). I've been stalking these forums for the better part of 4 months feeding my brain with e90 knowledge.

My main question is whether or not to wait for a good deal on a sports edition or to take advantage of a clean well maintained base model, what exactly are ALL the Differences?

I know the non sports edition lacks the necessary oil cooler, and has chrome trim, but other than that, I'm having a hard time finding the differences. I've heard people mention a sports seat but I have not found pictures, and a tighter steering ratio but I have not confirmed this. Does the sport package have the speed dependent electronic assist system standard? Is this something that people like? I want really tight steering, I don't know which system provides that, or how to even check to see which one is present on the car.
So yes, though I have been doing my research, it is not enough, and I ask you guys, the experienced experts, for help in my task of selecting the correct package for me.

Thanks
-Randy
i would just find the lowest mileage model you can find with the options you want. 60k milage on a BMW is like 120k mileage on a japanese car.

These cars were mass produced so you should be able to find what you need.

You have to pay the BMW tax on parts compared to jdm stuff. So you want to make sure the car has as much options you want as possible.

i would try to up your budget, a 10k n54 will probably need a lot of work and be high mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
turbolovah
Voosh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i would just find the lowest mileage model you can find with the options you want. 60k milage on a BMW is like 120k mileage on a japanese car.

These cars were mass produced so you should be able to find what you need.

You have to pay the BMW tax on parts compared to jdm stuff. So you want to make sure the car has as much options you want as possible.

i would try to up your budget, a 10k n54 will probably need a lot of work and be high mileage.
The main things I've been looking for is that the faulty pumps have been replaced, and I've been looking really hard for one with replaced turbos, something tells me though that I will be hard pressed to find one with replaced turbos unfortunately. I've been putting these attributes above mileage because they are the things that will for sure go quickly if not already addressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #8
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Read the E9x wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E90)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks
-Randy
Only early 07 n54 models did not have the oil cooler. Even if you picked up an early model, you could swap out the OFH and its parts for around $700-800 brand new or around 1/2 that for used. The only item you would probably have to buy new is the venting parts for the oil cooler (front & rear). If you track the car, you'll probably want a better oil cooler than OEM one any how.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Quote:
The main things I've been looking for is that the faulty pumps have been replaced, and I've been looking really hard for one with replaced turbos, something tells me though that I will be hard pressed to find one with replaced turbos unfortunately. I've been putting these attributes above mileage because they are the things that will for sure go quickly if not already addressed.
I think this is a smart way to approach it. I'd worry less about the HPFP as odds are it's been replaced, but even if not, the latest pump (reman only) is under $400 and a pre[y easy DIY. I'd also hold out for index 12 injectors as those are > $1k parts and more involved DIY.

However, one challenge with this approach is you'll either need a friend at BMW willing to run maintenance reports or be buying from the owner who had these items replaced and who still has the paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

oof. the options were kind of confusing those years. For example, I have a 2008XI with the sport package and 17" rims. Since I didn't opt for the sport package with 18" rims, my car has no secondary oil cooler.

In 2008 (and perhaps other years), you needed the 18" rims + Sport Package to get that second oil cooler.

Weird confusing stuff like that. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

back in the day (I purchased mine new), everyone said never buy one without sport. Like never buy a Porsche without an S. Now that the cars are used, I would say even more than ever, buy a ZSP. It won't add anything to the price, and you'll get staggered rims/tires, oil cooler with stick, nice side bolsters...plus I'm pretty sure that they were very common, shouldn't be "rare" or anything...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
Kilser
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

As long as you know about the terrible flaws with this vechile and you know that you may be in for a ride then you should be good! One thing I am learning is most owners do not keep any maintance on their transmission due to it being "factory sealed" aka its never been done because some dealerships wont do it. Or so I am told. Make sure the first thing you do is check all fluids and such.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilser View Post
As long as you know about the terrible flaws with this vechile and you know that you may be in for a ride then you should be good! One thing I am learning is most owners do not keep any maintance on their transmission due to it being "factory sealed" aka its never been done because some dealerships wont do it. Or so I am told. Make sure the first thing you do is check all fluids and such.
I went through this with buying a used Lexus...did research online and concluded of course, no such thing as fluid that lasts a lifetime. Seems like it is generally believed that if the mileage is low enough, maybe 80k, it is totally safe to drain and fill. My wife's GM SUV has a dipstick, so I've become quite the expert in drain/fill Dexron VI. But the so-called "sealed" trannies, which all new Toyotas have, have a very elaborate procedure and even this wild kit to compensate for the fluid not being the recommended temp (I can vouch that the volume changes tremendously based on temp). I'd rather get a stick in an older car and avoid....but def good to get the fluid drain/filled, not flushed, imho...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
oof. the options were kind of confusing those years. For example, I have a 2008XI with the sport package and 17" rims. Since I didn't opt for the sport package with 18" rims, my car has no secondary oil cooler.

In 2008 (and perhaps other years), you needed the 18" rims + Sport Package to get that second oil cooler.

Weird confusing stuff like that. good luck!
your correct....my 2008 335xi came with the sports package and 18" rims and it came with the oil cooler.
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      08-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #16
JuicyJomar
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 328i xDrive

I would definitely recommend waiting for the sport package. The seats definitely are a more attractive feature about that options, as well as the sport suspension.

Patience is really key when purchasing these cars, so I would definitely test drive multiple cars with multiple options and see which I prefer and don't prefer.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
turbolovah
Voosh
Rep

So fast forward 2 years later.... I finally bought my 2010 335i! Much more knowledgeable now then I was then. Thank you all for your help if you are still active!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      10-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Welcome to the club! Now open your wallet. Just kidding. Enjoy your new ride and don't be afraid to ask anything here. We'll sometimes give you a hard time but someone will have the answers you're looking for. How about a picture or two?
      10-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

All I will say is that if you are wanting N54 335i......do lots of research so that you know what you are in for. Way to many people buy them, and then get all bent out of shape with all of the money they have to spend on maintenance and repairs...and then end up getting rid of the car shortly after.

Yes....they can be picked up cheap.
Yes....they can make good power pretty easy.

NO...I would not want one as my only means of transportation.

That being said, they are fun cars......but unless you have a ton of money in the bank to pay a shop to work on it, you really have to like working on cars and troubleshooting problems.

Lots of common issues with these cars.....lots.

Just remember....these are not Honda's......
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Welcome to the club! Now open your wallet. Just kidding. Enjoy your new ride and don't be afraid to ask anything here. We'll sometimes give you a hard time but someone will have the answers you're looking for. How about a picture or two?

.....Yeah, not kidding. These are not the cars for people who don't have a couple extra grand in the bank, and/or time to work on their own stuff.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 1
Buug95917180.00