E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need Help: Cant Pass Inspection

01-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #89
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

I do hope its just a vendor thing and he'll be allowed back. If not, anyone who read the thread probably recalls that his user name was Area 74, and he lives in Canada, so you can put the two together and probably figure out his website
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #90
MARZPOPS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xdrive sedan NOT STOCK

I passed fbo with jb4 and no cats all you have to do is have jb4 clear codes and make sure there in no check engine and your done lol im in ny also
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #91
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2011 335xi

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZPOPS
I passed fbo with jb4 and no cats all you have to do is have jb4 clear codes and make sure there in no check engine and your done lol im in ny also
Not true for odb tests. Clearing the codes sets the monitors to not ready. That why we've all been waiting for 8 mths for a r e a 7 4 to create the fix he just did.
      01-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #92
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZPOPS View Post
You have an N54.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #93
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

There is currently one known _TRUE_ DP fix for N55 cars, and it's the "io2" made by Area 74 and it costs about $60. It's similar to the N54 DP fix, but operates in a slightly different way. To be honest, I'm surprised the N54 DP fix even works considering how simple the circuit is, but I digress...

Cobb can disable the code (on cars that support Cobb), which is good enough for some states (those of which allow for 1 NOT-READY monitor), but some states will still fail you. Cobb could have easily done a true fix, but they're a big enough company where they can't risk getting in trouble for that.

If you are interested in that simulator, I suggest you pick one up sooner rather than later. They're highly illegal and the vendors tend to "dissapear" after a while.

The government doesn't crack down on catless downpipes as hard because they assume that people who install them wouldn't pass inspection. If you have a way to defeat the inspection process, that's a big deal for them.

I've heard of situations where police will set up little stations on the side of the road that have sniffers. As cars drive by, they can detect the gasses that are present on cars that don't have catalytic converters. I've never seen this personally, and it sounds kind of crazy, but this is why I've decided to keep the cat on my car. It wasn't worth it to me to risk the huge fine just to gain 10whp. To each their own though.

[EDIT] Also, there's one other fix, but it involves a modification to the ECU's code similar to Cobb, but is done by other companies. This usually requires you to remove the ECU and send it to them. This is more common in Europe than it is here.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #94
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
There is currently one known _TRUE_ DP fix for N55 cars, and it's the "io2" made by Area 74 and it costs about $60. It's similar to the N54 DP fix, but operates in a slightly different way. To be honest, I'm surprised the N54 DP fix even works considering how simple the circuit is, but I digress...

Cobb can disable the code (on cars that support Cobb), which is good enough for some states (those of which allow for 1 NOT-READY monitor), but some states will still fail you. Cobb could have easily done a true fix, but they're a big enough company where they can't risk getting in trouble for that.

If you are interested in that simulator, I suggest you pick one up sooner rather than later. They're highly illegal and the vendors tend to "dissapear" after a while.

The government doesn't crack down on catless downpipes as hard because they assume that people who install them wouldn't pass inspection. If you have a way to defeat the inspection process, that's a big deal for them.

I've heard of situations where police will set up little stations on the side of the road that have sniffers. As cars drive by, they can detect the gasses that are present on cars that don't have catalytic converters. I've never seen this personally, and it sounds kind of crazy, but this is why I've decided to keep the cat on my car. It wasn't worth it to me to risk the huge fine just to gain 10whp. To each their own though.

[EDIT] Also, there's one other fix, but it involves a modification to the ECU's code similar to Cobb, but is done by other companies. This usually requires you to remove the ECU and send it to them. This is more common in Europe than it is here.
Not sure about the niece you mention where cobb will pass in states allowing 1 not ready monitor. That was exactly my situation. The Cat and O2 monitors were both not ready and I think that'll be the case for anyone who uses a catless DP will it not.
      01-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #95
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey271975 View Post
Not sure about the niece you mention where cobb will pass in states allowing 1 not ready monitor. That was exactly my situation. The Cat and O2 monitors were both not ready and I think that'll be the case for anyone who uses a catless DP will it not.
That could be the case. I thought I remember seeing someone say that it provided only a single NOT-READY.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #96
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe View Post
That could be the case. I thought I remember seeing someone say that it provided only a single NOT-READY.
Yeah, that was probably Ridgefield335 . Passed in CT with cat "not supported."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #97
kevBquick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:

we are pretty hardcore here in chicago as far as emissions go. i have family that used to head up the EPA.

never heard of any policy sites ever in my year or even seen any in all the years i've been tested. maybe cali has that problem.

its also waaaaaaaay greater than 10whp gain but you can think what you need. oh and the TQ is even bigger gain but to each their own. DP IS the biggest bottle neck in the whole system.

sure europe has a fix in their tuning...i have zero clue on their tuning or how it compares.

as far as cobb. no because they are all the same. light delete like everyone else. auto clear the code. set monitors to NOT READY. there is no passing once the DP is put on. yes this fix is more elegant than the N54 one and that one takes some persuasion. and then replace that old fix with this one on the n54 as well. then run your car with auto clear off. so you can see what your motor is actually doing.
      02-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #98
jus2sikwitit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevBquick
Quote:

we are pretty hardcore here in chicago as far as emissions go. i have family that used to head up the EPA.

never heard of any policy sites ever in my year or even seen any in all the years i've been tested. maybe cali has that problem.

its also waaaaaaaay greater than 10whp gain but you can think what you need. oh and the TQ is even bigger gain but to each their own. DP IS the biggest bottle neck in the whole system.

sure europe has a fix in their tuning...i have zero clue on their tuning or how it compares.

as far as cobb. no because they are all the same. light delete like everyone else. auto clear the code. set monitors to NOT READY. there is no passing once the DP is put on. yes this fix is more elegant than the N54 one and that one takes some persuasion. and then replace that old fix with this one on the n54 as well. then run your car with auto clear off. so you can see what your motor is actually doing.
finally got mine in the mail...any DIY for this io2 on the e92 n55 yet kev?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #99
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus2sikwitit View Post
finally got mine in the mail...any DIY for this io2 on the e92 n55 yet kev?
http://www.******.ca/wp-content/uplo...PELIMINARY.pdf

a r e a 7 4 sent me this link for n55

Im curious if Kev or anyone else has had any issues with it working?
      02-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #100
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
What are you guys using to check readiness via OBD II? Does Carly check readiness states or do you need a different reader?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #101
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert
What are you guys using to check readiness via OBD II? Does Carly check readiness states or do you need a different reader?
You can pick up a unit on amazon for $15 that plugs in and shows status, also reads codes etc
      02-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #102
Rahim e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Hey guys I don't know much about wiring but the guide helps a lot. But where did you guys connect for the switched power source? And where would the nearest ground be?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #103
jus2sikwitit
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahim e92
Hey guys I don't know much about wiring but the guide helps a lot. But where did you guys connect for the switched power source? And where would the nearest ground be?
nearest ground would be under one of the nuts on the strut tower i am thinking nearest accessory power would be in dme box where jb4 connects but i dont think the wire would be long enough so im having the same issue
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #104
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus2sikwitit View Post
nearest ground would be under one of the nuts on the strut tower i am thinking nearest accessory power would be in dme box where jb4 connects but i dont think the wire would be long enough so im having the same issue
IIRC the guide recommends using the o2 sensor heater power and o2 sensor ground wires. You're right there hacking into them anyway, might as well keep everything localized. That's what I plan to do anyway.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #105
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevBquick View Post

Kevin, any update on the diy? Or did it get posted somewhere else and I missed it?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #106
Rahim e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevBquick View Post

Kevin, any update on the diy? Or did it get posted somewhere else and I missed it?
Link is posted a couple of posts before yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #107
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Has anyone else other than Kevbquick installed and confirmed theirs is working?
      02-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #108
Rahim e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey271975
Has anyone else other than Kevbquick installed and confirmed theirs is working?
I'll be installing and going through emissions within the next week or 2
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #109
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
http://www.***********.com/content.php?6828-BMW-N55-engine-owners-your-downpipe-emissions-and-code-fix-is-here-with-the-******-02-simulator

b o o s t a d d i c t
      02-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #110
jus2sikwitit
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey271975
http://www.***********.com/content.php?6828-BMW-N55-engine-owners-your-downpipe-emissions-and-code-fix-is-here-with-the-******-02-simulator

b o o s t a d d i c t
pm me that link it doesnt show up in forum
Appreciate 0