E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EiBach & Performance BMW Competition

06-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

EiBach & Performance BMW Competition

As an avid reader of BMWCar and Performance BMW you chance upon certain things in these publications from time to time, so when the wife threw 2 mags on the computer desk and asked me to put them away where they belong, while waiting for an email to arrive I happened to thumb through this

and found this

So with the email page opened as I knew the answer to the question I though well why not.. so I applied and in less than a couple of minutes email with the required answer was sent... and I thought nothing more of it.. the expiory date came and passed then a week later an email.. Congratulations you've won then a phone call from Sonia at EiBach UK, yep it was true I'd won.

The prize was courtesy of EiBach UK and I had a choice of verious items and I chose to go for the following.

Roll Bars Front & Rear
Pro Springs
Camber Plates

I kept it subtle, requested that the car wasn't dropped or if it was it would be on the sensible side of subtle.

One thing that I was really pleased with is that EiBach work hand in hand with Bilstein, so you don't ask you don't get so I asked the question though its not in the competition re some dampers as it would be a shame to not change these at the same time. So questions asked the replay came back as not a problem, a mouth watering cannot say no price was agreed and a set of B8's with my reqiuirements were made by hand and shipped down to the place of fitting AReeves in Kings Lynn... This was a good 6 weeks ago..

And here you find me in Kings Lynn on an overcast but warm morning
pre fitting

Ride height as you can see from the pre work photo above is standard height and at all costs I wanted to try and keep to this sort of look a bit of a drop would of been acceptable, too much and TBH I'd of been very very disappointed.

Now the fun bit. Always been a fan with what can be done with the camera so I'm looking forward to seeing how these photographs turn out. So out withthe lights

And the man behind the lens is one Matt Woods http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com/

Once the outside shots were down down to business and in to Aarons workshop(which was very spacious and clean)

As this wasn't my workshop I know the rules re unauthorised personel on the floor so respected this "requirment" and retired to their reception room therefore wasn't able to myself photograph a fair bit of went on... but later on was invited in where I remained...

The bars

Old v New

Shocks Old v New (photo's of the rears only)but you get the idea

And in no particular order of play

always under the eye of the camera

this work took nigh on all day to complete

those camber plates

And on the ground post work first indications of how the car may look once everythigns been fitted

Ride height wise TBH its hardly any different to when it came in.. to many that would be an issue for me it was a blessing. As I'm not looking for the slammed route, I'm looking for handling along with a quality ride.

When speaking to Sonia both by phone and by email I was very clear re what I was expecting to end up with and she understood and assured me the product in my mind would be the one on my car come the end of the day.. Pleased to say she was spot on

Next after a small shake down ride the final part of the puzzle. Alignment using AReeves's Hunders 4 wheel set up

Forgot to mention previously that rear shock guide supports were all replaced - as were the spring pads plus and anti links (well be daft not to really)

Once all done another shake down lap was required and then the final shot

Big thank you to Sonia from EiBach, Matt the snapper nad the team at AReeves for making us welcome throughout the day

I understand the magazine will be out in September/October.

And the effect of all this work, well there was an issue on the drive home which the my boys sorted, but out on the road the effect is night and day.

1/ steering is far sharper, along with the M3 arms Aarons given me the best of both worls re set up the camber plates allow youso much more flexability, pre this work the arms made a differnece but my concern to a degree was thoug hsmall how detremental were these arms to tyre life, I knew they'd have a small impact on life but the plus point was a much more communicative set up, these camber plates have given me a lot more scope to have the front setup. And it works. Turn in is sharper than I'd imagined it would be

2/ the roll bars make a real difference you can feel it.

3/ ride the big question the ride, having driven shed loads of E92's equipped with Sports Suspension the ride is just not suited to our roads. THe ride now is totally differnet over roads I know very well the crashing I'm used to has been repalced by a firm yet very complient set up.

4/ the car feels so much nicer to steer and ride in than it did before.

For me a worth while 2 minutes on the computer I'd say.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-27-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Matt uses Bowens lights like me, interesting!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Wow Steve, you lucky bugger!! I wish i won something for my car

You must really feel the difference with the ride and handling, especially round corners. Stock suspension is so bad.

Car is looking very nice Steve. A lot different to how i saw it about a year ago
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
AndyN
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i DCT

Garage List
2010 E93 335i DCT  [0.00]
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
She's really looking great Steve, congrats on the win too!

Turbo Dynamics Stage 2+ Hybrid turbos - Evolve FMIC - VRSF catless DPs - Remus Race exhaust - Injen CAI - VRSF CP & HKS BOV - Quaife LSD - Gladen 120.4 DSP kit - CIC to NBT Upgrade - JB4 G5 w/ race flash - Ohlins R&T suspension -
next mod: go faster stripe.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lucky Bastard!

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Steve
Lucky lad.... Congrats mate. Your car already looked spot on however with this setup, suspension is sorted. Good to see that you are pleased.
I have never gone further than getting Eibach springs. If they make good difference then I'm sure that rest is worthy!
      06-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Steve, this is excellent!! You must be delighted
I'm very close to getting suspension for mine but was thinking the Bilstein coilovers, but I'm worried as you know about the ride quality. Perhaps the route you went down would be a better option for me? Like you I don't want my car slammed, but would like to fix the front arch gap. Rear is pretty much just how I want it. I can't decide between your solution or the Bilstein coilovers...
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice. Those M3 skirts look really good by the way. Could you list all the mods and exactly which products you have used on your suspension system?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Matt uses Bowens lights like me, interesting!
I like taking a snap or 2 but on the day opted to use the iPhone 6 and left my Canon EOS in the boot. When you looked at the stuff Matt had felt very second rate.. But it was very intersting watching him in action managed to have a look at some of the shots on his Nikon, and they make my efforts look very tame but when his photo's come over I bet they'll be something else I saw some shots of a Mustang he done for another magazine and they were simply jaw dropping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Wow Steve, you lucky bugger!! I wish i won something for my car

You must really feel the difference with the ride and handling, especially round corners. Stock suspension is so bad.

Car is looking very nice Steve. A lot different to how i saw it about a year ago
Mo it was pure luck as I stated that I entered had the wife not asked me to move the magazines from the living room and had I not of been sitting at the computer waiting for an email I'd of never entered. Proves that if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle...

So yep feel good about it I really do, as you know we talked very briefly re suspension when yours was in so it was on the radar for sure. I wanted comfort and handling didn't want the car slammed or anything like that so when this lot came up it was all my Christmas's at once.

I could of opted for coil over but that wasn't what I wanted plus after speaking to EiBach and explaining my needs they confirmed it wouldn't be in my best interest and therefore springs, and roll bar package (with the aforementioned optional dampers)was the way forward to allowing me to achieve my goal.

Ride handling is oh so different over speed humps for starters its firmer but more comfortable, over rutted roads is very compliant, doesn't crash at all, feels almost as comfortable as a modern F series in fact.

Re handling steering is a lot sharper, take it in stages repalcing the stock arms for M3 arms bought on a difference, then with all this stuff added and set up to suit its a different car, turn in is sharp increase speed it clings on, one corner I know very well require me at 40mph to dab the brakes before entering it now I take it at over 40mph turn in and it goes through and out the other side. Roll is much more controlled you can feel it doing its bit.

Yet this combo is far more comfortable than the stock item. I've driven pllenty of E92's in Sport Spec and they are all feel about the same this sort of set up should of been how the cars should of been made in the first place in terms of comfort. As you said BMW got this set up wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
She's really looking great Steve, congrats on the win too!
Thanks, I don't usually do this sort of thing or indeed win anything but glad I took the time to leaf through the mag and enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
Lucky Bastard!
I feel it

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Steve
Lucky lad.... Congrats mate. Your car already looked spot on however with this setup, suspension is sorted. Good to see that you are pleased.
I have never gone further than getting Eibach springs. If they make good difference then I'm sure that rest is worthy!
Sam it was getting there but this was on the agenda and had this prize not come about come October time I think I'd of certainly addressed the suspension side of things as the standard set up isn't the greatest plus mine done 80k now and when checked although it had good resistance and there were zero signs of sweating shocks trust me they'd of been past their best.

Springs were all in fine order oddly enough no cracks even corrosion at the base was absent(which I already knew) but again as they've been in place for so long they'd of had their day too.

I think as a test it would of been lovely to carry out a test with springs first, then add dampers then add the roll bar kit to see in stages what each set up brings to the party, but that wasn't the deal and if it had been we'd of been there over a day with ease.

But the finished result matches visually what I wanted, there's hardly a difference in ride height at all. But out on the road where it counts its a totally different car. Which matches what I set out to achieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I'm very close to getting suspension for mine but was thinking the Bilstein coilovers, but I'm worried as you know about the ride quality. Perhaps the route you went down would be a better option for me? Like you I don't want my car slammed, but would like to fix the front arch gap. Rear is pretty much just how I want it. I can't decide between your solution or the Bilstein coilovers...
Seb, I had a talk re coilovers v their springs with a decent set of Bilstein dampers, the coil overs suit some the dampers suit others the discussion I had centered upon my requirments, I was clear, very clear that the drop if it was one was kept to a minimum, ride comfort was high, very high on my agenda and I wanted the car to out handle the standard set up too, which was a tall order you'd think but was simple to carry out.

Immediatly the question was answered when I pitched in re looking to change dampers with Bilstein items that Sonia from EiBach could bring them to the party and once this was all sorted combine this with the roll bar kit, camber plates and their Pro Spring kit(which I've used before on 2 other vehicles) I was offered spacers as well but again not for me and I think they got that too.

I'll take a photo of my front arch / tyre combo and see what you think. IF you wanted to get it lower then perhaps SportLine kit will get this in check but you may find the ride may not be as good as the Pro set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
Nice. Those M3 skirts look really good by the way. Could you list all the mods and exactly which products you have used on your suspension system?
As you well know when your car was with me having the brakes sorted I spent going over your car, I'd seen Mo's car and I'd seen Josh's car several times too so had a clue re wanting to go this direction, part of the bonus of these skirts is side definition, on a ligter car they seem to show up more(if thats the correct phrase)which is part of the reason why I think they really do turn heads, the only lighter car I've seen with these on board is Sam's(AWBimmer's) E92 and again as his is silver shows the lines of the skirts quite well.

Re what I've done suspension

1/ Camber plates
2/ EiBach Pro Spring Kit
3/ EiBach Front & Rear Roll Bar Kit
4/ Bilstein B8's(hand bult to by Bilstein for the competition to suit my car)
5/ 4 wheel alignment (again listening to my requirements for suitability)
6/ New Anti Links all round new rear shock guides and spring platforms.

Work already done on the suspension and again taken into account was the use of M3 arms on the fronts.
      06-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #10
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Wow congrats Steve. This must be the big surprise we were waiting for!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
I like taking a snap or 2 but on the day opted to use the iPhone 6 and left my Canon EOS in the boot. When you looked at the stuff Matt had felt very second rate.. But it was very intersting watching him in action managed to have a look at some of the shots on his Nikon, and they make my efforts look very tame but when his photo's come over I bet they'll be something else I saw some shots of a Mustang he done for another magazine and they were simply jaw dropping..
Yeah I get that quite a bit too, photography is all about lighting, and with flashes you can't see it with your eye, so it can be quite shocking how different it looks on the back of the camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Very lucky and congrats.

It's a nice setup you have now for sure. Like the stance. I'm looking at camber plates to marry up to the Ohlins now too.
      06-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Very lucky and congrats.

It's a nice setup you have now for sure. Like the stance. I'm looking at camber plates to marry up to the Ohlins now too.
These camber plates seem to of worked for me Raj as it tammed the initial issue I thought fitting M3 arms had on my car turn in is more positive as it seems to of allowed more adjustability if you follow me. So IMO yep they work

Re luck yep no one's as stunned as me TBH, set up isn't top flight I know that but the cars my daily driver so it has to meet everyday needs for me without being choppy, harsh or slammed for look not for practacality, the set up I now have meets my needds ticks every box and as Sonia assured me from EiBach will meet my needs and wouldn't disappoint me. And she was right
      06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Have you had any NVH increase with the camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Front arch gap Seb

looks higher here than perhaps you'd be expecting yet look at the car parked up you'd swear it was lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Have you had any NVH increase with the camber plates?
Oddly enough no nothing Mo, haven't noticed a thing all I can pick up on is that ove the various speed humps in my road its smoother more controlled and is way way better than stock
      07-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Nice one, good competition to win!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
These camber plates seem to of worked for me Raj as it tammed the initial issue I thought fitting M3 arms had on my car turn in is more positive as it seems to of allowed more adjustability if you follow me. So IMO yep they work

Re luck yep no one's as stunned as me TBH, set up isn't top flight I know that but the cars my daily driver so it has to meet everyday needs for me without being choppy, harsh or slammed for look not for practacality, the set up I now have meets my needds ticks every box and as Sonia assured me from EiBach will meet my needs and wouldn't disappoint me. And she was right
TBH I didn't even realise Eibach did camber plates as I've been looking at Vorshlag and Ground Control.
      07-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
TBH I didn't even realise Eibach did camber plates as I've been looking at Vorshlag and Ground Control.
Raj it's part of their pro alignment series of products.

http://eibach.com/global/en/products.../pro-alignment
      07-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #19
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Raj it's part of their pro alignment series of products.

http://eibach.com/global/en/products.../pro-alignment
Only seems to mention the Performance control arms. Will have to call them but wonder if they are for only the Eibach springs which the Ohlins are only 2.5" diameter.
      07-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only seems to mention the Performance control arms. Will have to call them but wonder if they are for only the Eibach springs which the Ohlins are only 2.5" diameter.
Honestly don't know Raj I can ask them as I seem to get on with them rather wellbut I'd kinda say they'll cater for other applications otherwise they'd lock themselves out of a potentual customer.

You can see the picture of the plates in the magazine shot at the to of the page
      09-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally out in October's Performance BMW Mag

09-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #22
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep