E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White Smoke, Did my VTT GC Turbos go? (Updated)

03-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #89
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
You dummy, when I said the dme was limiting boost you said it was the turbos lol.

You swore there was nothing dme related but that the turbos has to be blown. Maybe you blew them and tried to play it off here like the intercooler did it.

Make sure you make it known - you paid 11k for the whole car, not 4500 for a set of turbos.

The problem is that no matter what vtt does they are screwed - if they fix them and you install them wrong, you'll just blame them again. Your attitude and lack of knowledge are they key things that would have me running from you if I were them. Hell I wouldn't fix them if you paid for it full price now.

I'll give you 500 bucks for them, and give you a set of stock turbos that you could use for a core for some pures, or you could run them. :-)
No I said the dme wasn't preventing boost which was in reference to good working turbos. It wasn't until I saw them that I realized the Dme was protecting the engine from a bad turbo. At first I truly believed that my engine blew or solmething else because this problem happened while heading home on the free way. I wouldn't have thought new turbos would have been the cause, but in the end that's exactly what it was. Broken turbos from freeway driving

Again, it's a defect. If you wanted to continue to claim otherwise all you have to do is find proof. I have proof it's a defect out of the man's own mouth from his online posts. After the allotted time goes by they will be sold to someone eventuality.

Quote:
Again for someone who claims to know it all and ignores what Vargus the guy who created the turbos has said "fins fall off" why havnt you provided proof through an online article, or another turbo manufactures website or anywhere reputable showing that overspinning a turbo can cause the exhaust turbine to loose fins, with Zero damage to the compressor wheels... You wont be able to, want to know why? They dont fall off like that unless there defective. You might be able to find some occurance where the exhaust turbine gets damage from an object or from overspinning, but that is always accomanied by the compressor impeller being broken.

Again, i have already proved my argument, go out and prove yours if you want to be taken seriously by anyone.
Here is a good example of what overspeed looks like, just do as chris suggested.

From what im gathering on his post is that Defects are only covered under there 1 year warranty, and because it took them 2 years to report to there customers that GC's were offically defective they are not doing the honerable thing and fixing the early adopters turbos and instead they are telling everyone who is out of there 365 day warranty that your screwed! I feel sorry for everyone buying the 2.0's thinking they will be safe. Thats what Vargas said about the 1.0's.

The problem is that in previous posts by Vargas in his remarks to Rob@RB he said "The issue is not warranty, the issue is, the turbos were KNOWN to be defective BEFORE shipping. HE knew he had an issue, did not know what it was, and instead of stopping production to fix it, he continued to build, sell, and ship defective units. Yes that is actually a criminal act.

Vargas knew about the exhaust turbines breaking way back in 2016 from early reports and instead of stopping production, contacting the people who have them installed to inform them and warn them when he knew he had an issue he continued to sell these units, and still does today because the 2.0's are just about to be relased. This is why people don't trust VTT, he bashed RB years ago about this exact problem, yet he did it a year later and doesnt want to fix anyone who were early adopters of the GC turbos. This will happen with is 2.0 users as well. Past actions are good predictors of future actions. It's why we learn history in school.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 03-27-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #90
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

I took these with my SLR to try and get at close as possible to show all the damage. As you can see the damage is isolated to just the exhaust turbine wheel (and broken fragments that probably added damage after it snapped causing the oil leak and smoking)
Attached Images

2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 05-31-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
      03-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #91
1hunglow
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

CLASS ACTION VTT LAWSUIT!

But seriously the GC turbos 1.0 had a defect, and apparently so does VTT integrity...

It looks like you are the 2nd owner of the car, whose was it prior? Did they have any issues or tell you about any possible turbo problems?
Torgus3781.50
      03-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #92
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I'm the prior owner. I ran these at 29 Psi for about 10 runs at the track. 27psi when running full e85, and 22psi when running 93. Car was properly cared for, there is a reason the engine still runs so strong at its mileage. Couldn't really run it hard as we had new additions to the family and flying around with a newborn in the back is frowned upon.

As for preexisting issues, there were none. But the nature of that stress fracture would not show symptoms, simply it would run fine, then exactly what happened to buster, boom, fins go and game over.

At this point, any knowledgeable person would realize that warranty is moot. A product was purchased with a realized expectation of build. A casting defect not being covered due to this car being secondhand is opening up a can of worms for vargas, especially since the defect had been admitted.

As for a lawyer. The process to cost none of your own money and have an attorney is to file a complaint with a states attorney General, they are obliged to examine your claim and makes a BBB complaint look like kids play.

Busters claim is not speculation, VTT admitted this as an issue, mileage and owner are irrelevant. Ask this, is VTT revuilding the gc 1.0s for people outside of the 1 year warranty window? If the answer is yes, it means they are overriding their own warranty offered to remedy a known problem.

Good luck buster, you know I am very transparent and if I knew there were any issues with the car I'd have told you.
Appreciate 4
feuer4275.50
Torgus3781.50
      03-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #93
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I doubt there is any thought that you had any pre-existing issues. The issue is that the topic was immediately accusatory that the turbos were blown, the owner doesn't understand boost leaks, doesn't understand how to properly troubleshoot, and doesn't know how to install an intercooler properly.

If he installed the intercooler improperly and had a boost leak and then went to run 32 psi (which he has admitted to doing), he would be overspeeding the turbos by a ton, which could cause the cracking.

He also first said he was fine with getting a discount to repair them, then changed his tune and started whining that it should be free - typical something for nothing and blast first. You know, I bet he would have gotten a much better response had he posted first and reported his findings and then contacted VTT for assistance. Being a massive tool and ranting left and right is not the way to get assistance with anything, much less a performance part that requires a brain to install properly and ensure he didn't cause the issue himself.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #94
N54th
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

OP, sorry to hear about these turbos. I'll be in the market for upgraded turbos when the time comes and VTT will not be one of the options I will consider. Hope you get this sorted out. PS try to ignore the trolls.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #95
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

I updated the first page to represent whats going on now. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with there advice.

This is what I wrote on the first page

Quote:
UPDATE 3/27/2018

I'm always the first to admit when im wrong and today I was proven wrong. I was only in contact with Chris, not Vargas and because of that Vargas didnt know what was going on. After he found out he personally reached out to me and offered to update the turbos for free. I told him if he tares it apart and it was not the defect and it was my fault then I'll pay the $1000 to fix it, he still declined that offer.

I let my anger get the best of me and I should have reached out to him directly instead of letting all the bad online complaints get the best of me and judge him before actually speaking to him. I based everything off the internet posts and my communication with chris. Vargas has gone above and beyond what you could have asked for in regards to customer service, especially considering all of the circumstances. I just wanted to let everyone know, and he'll be getting these turbos here soon.

I'd also like to put a disclaimer up, I'm doing this out of my own free will, he never asked me to be silent or asked me to not tell anyone. He also didnt tell me that he'll fix them if i changed my review and make him look good. You can view him anyway you'd like we all have our own opionions, but my post is a geniune response considering how childish i was acting (which is easy to do on the internet).
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 10
      03-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #96
darth_bimmer88
Not Broke Yet
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

OP- Glad you're getting the issue resolved with minimal downtime.

Let us know when you're back up and running!

Last edited by darth_bimmer88; 03-28-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #97
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice signature.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #98
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
UPDATE 3/27/2018

I'm always the first to admit when im wrong and today I was proven wrong. I was only in contact with Chris, not Vargas and because of that Vargas didnt know what was going on. After he found out he personally reached out to me and offered to update the turbos for free. I told him if he tares it apart and it was not the defect and it was my fault then I'll pay the $1000 to fix it, he still declined that offer.

I let my anger get the best of me and I should have reached out to him directly instead of letting all the bad online complaints get the best of me and judge him before actually speaking to him. I based everything off the internet posts and my communication with chris. Vargas has gone above and beyond what you could have asked for in regards to customer service, especially considering all of the circumstances. I just wanted to let everyone know, and he'll be getting these turbos here soon.

I'd also like to put a disclaimer up, I'm doing this out of my own free will, he never asked me to be silent or asked me to not tell anyone. He also didnt tell me that he'll fix them if i changed my review and make him look good. You can view him anyway you'd like we all have our own opionions, but my post is a geniune response considering how childish i was acting (which is easy to do on the internet).

Dude I'm so happy you gotten everything straightened out!! Like I've always said I felt your pain. Very happy to hear VTT is standing by you, and I whole heartily agree that Chris offers great customer service.

Hope your back on the road soon!
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #99
tova86
RACE CAR!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i AW sedan

Glad to hear this has a happy ending.

msport w/ splitters, miro 111 19x9.5 all around , sonic tuning csl trunk, gloss black roof, st coilover, custom black/white umnitza V2 headlights
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #100
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Nice to see VTT stepping up here......technically he probably didn't have to but it was a good save
Appreciate 2