E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Don't buy non OE/OEM boost solenoids

07-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Don't buy non OE/OEM boost solenoids

I have fixed a before undetected leak in my vacuum system. It was some weird thing where the leak wouldn't show up with the hand pumpwhen I tested each section of the lines that go from the vacuum pump to the air cannister over the valve cover. My stupid pills eventually wore off and I tested them all together with an F connector. I ended up running a single uncut hose from the vacuum pump to each cannister and voila, better boost levels.

After that I confirmed that my off-brand boost solenoids are garbage. I isolated each one and tested them at idle. They were each only pulling 7 psi. I tested them individually against my old originals that I replaced, and the old ones were pulling 15 psi. I put them back in and went for a drive. I'm still not hitting target, but I'm not throwing an underboost code either. From here I'll be doing the front turbo washer fix to see if it helps. I'm still confident that there is no leak from the hotside to the throttlebody. Even if I can't completely solve the issue ATM, I'm satisified with the performance until this winter when I replace the turbos and install inlets and a new FMIC (I'm still stock).

Here are some logs from after I put my old solenoids back in. Those timing corrections tho... Anything else you guys can glean that I'm not? WGDC looks much improved from the crappy replacement solenoids. IAT is bad. Spool is laggy as hell.

Log after I fixed the vacuum leak and replaced the off-brand solenoids with my originals.

https://datazap.me/u/chsjapanese/3rd...og=0&data=3-21

Crappy boost solenoids I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
I have fixed a before undetected leak in my vacuum system. It was some weird thing where the leak wouldn't show up with the hand pumpwhen I tested each section of the lines that go from the vacuum pump to the air cannister over the valve cover. My stupid pills eventually wore off and I tested them all together with an F connector. I ended up running a single uncut hose from the vacuum pump to each cannister and voila, better boost levels.

After that I confirmed that my off-brand boost solenoids are garbage. I isolated each one and tested them at idle. They were each only pulling 7 psi. I tested them individually against my old originals that I replaced, and the old ones were pulling 15 psi. I put them back in and went for a drive. I'm still not hitting target, but I'm not throwing an underboost code either. From here I'll be doing the front turbo washer fix to see if it helps. I'm still confident that there is no leak from the hotside to the throttlebody. Even if I can't completely solve the issue ATM, I'm satisified with the performance until this winter when I replace the turbos and install inlets and a new FMIC (I'm still stock).

Here are some logs from after I put my old solenoids back in. Those timing corrections tho... Anything else you guys can glean that I'm not? WGDC looks much improved from the crappy replacement solenoids. IAT is bad. Spool is laggy as hell.

Log after I fixed the vacuum leak and replaced the off-brand solenoids with my originals.

https://datazap.me/u/chsjapanese/3rd...&data=3-21

Crappy boost solenoids I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Pierburg is the oem supplier.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Yup. I would buy Pierburg
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Let us know where you end up buying from. I have been debating whether to replace mine as well as I have had some issues with boost and have confirmed no leaks in my system.

I see ECS has them for $75
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pierburg...747626350~hla/
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Yup. I would buy Pierburg
+1, replaced mine with pierberg a few years ago, from ecs.
      08-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Let us know where you end up buying from. I have been debating whether to replace mine as well as I have had some issues with boost and have confirmed no leaks in my system.

I see ECS has them for $75
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pierburg...747626350~hla/
I wouldn't buy them unless you had a problem. I have 153,000 miles on my oem's. Perhaps replace them if put in new turbos....

To me, because they have lasted so long, it's one of those, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" deals. If I start getting a non-boost code, that probably the first thing I'd check.

I have replaced all of my seals on the entire intake system, in the last 30,000 miles.

So, if I'm not getting any boost, it's gonna be those 8/10.

I have a OTC vacuum tester. I was registering 20-25 Hg at idol, the last time I checked them just for sh@ts and giggles :
Appreciate 1