E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rain temporarily affected coil pack(s)?

08-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
scottjeffrey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Rain temporarily affected coil pack(s)?

2009 328i. After a deluge of rain yesterday, the car acted like it has in the past when a coil pack went bad. Parked it for an hour and then it was fine. I am assuming it was the rain and then the heat of the engine dried it out and it operated correctly. Next morning it is fine too. Is it possible I don't need to do anything, except avoid being stuck at a train crossing for twenty minutes in a deluge, lol? Feedback is much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Scott in Fort Lauderdale
PS: If it was the rain getting in there, does that indicate a failure in anything which should be keeping it out?

Last edited by scottjeffrey; 08-16-2019 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

My old VW VR6 engine ran like crap on wet or even humid days - they had a central coil pack which was prone to cracking, and very long HT leads to the plugs.

My point is that the coils don't need to literally get wet in order to misbehave - just a tiny bit of mist or excess humidity getting into the wrong place will be enough. Chances are that one or more of your coils (or something else electrical, maybe) is on its way out, and will need to be replaced soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
scottjeffrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
My old VW VR6 engine ran like crap on wet or even humid days - they had a central coil pack which was prone to cracking, and very long HT leads to the plugs.

My point is that the coils don't need to literally get wet in order to misbehave - just a tiny bit of mist or excess humidity getting into the wrong place will be enough. Chances are that one or more of your coils (or something else electrical, maybe) is on its way out, and will need to be replaced soon.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post

x2.

it's probably got a blown out part of the coil lead. I had two with burn marks in their sides when I pulled mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #5
6Inarowmakesitgo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjeffrey View Post
2009 328i. After a deluge of rain yesterday, the car acted like it has in the past when a coil pack went bad. Parked it for an hour and then it was fine. I am assuming it was the rain and then the heat of the engine dried it out and it operated correctly. Next morning it is fine too. Is it possible I don't need to do anything, except avoid being stuck at a train crossing for twenty minutes in a deluge, lol? Feedback is much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Scott in Fort Lauderdale
PS: If it was the rain getting in there, does that indicate a failure in anything which should be keeping it out?

I had this issue as well. Noticed it only when parked outside in the rain and not in the garage.

I found the tabs for the seal on the cowling going over the engine were broken and the seal was not sitting properly and the other plastic cover underneath it had a large crack in it. Directly under that crack? cylinder #6. sure enough after spraying my car down with a hose for a bit, my #5 and #6 coil packs were sitting in a small puddle of water on the valve cover.
      08-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
scottjeffrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Inarowmakesitgo! View Post
I had this issue as well. Noticed it only when parked outside in the rain and not in the garage.

I found the tabs for the seal on the cowling going over the engine were broken and the seal was not sitting properly and the other plastic cover underneath it had a large crack in it. Directly under that crack? cylinder #6. sure enough after spraying my car down with a hose for a bit, my #5 and #6 coil packs were sitting in a small puddle of water on the valve cover.
Thanks, much appreciated
Appreciate 0