E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 09 328i- "while you're in there" maintenance

02-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Murrdog9000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

09 328i- "while you're in there" maintenance

Hello all, Im having some maintenance done by a friend and am looking for some guidance on what else I should do, if any. My plans as of so far are...

Valve cover and gasket- it smokes currently
Rear main seal and oil pan gasket- they both leak
Automatic transmission fluid and pan/gasket
Oil change for obvious reasons.

The car has about 90k mi on it. Ive read on here about people having waterpump failures, is that something I should do preemptively? Ive also heard that eccentric cam timing sensor usually goes bad around 100k. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I'd bet good money that your rear main is fine and you're just seeing the oil pan runoff.

Don't forget

-oil filter housing gasket
-eccentric shaft sensor gasket
-valvetronic motor gasket

I personally don't think you should preemptively replace the eccentric shaft sensor itself until it actually fails. Its an expensive part that might have way more life left in it than youre giving it credit for.

Whether you do the water pump and thermostat now is up to you. If you have roadside assisstance/towing on your insurance I would just let it strand you one day and then take care of it, using the same logic as above. You might have 40-50k miles left in that thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Murrdog9000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
I'd bet good money that your rear main is fine and you're just seeing the oil pan runoff.

Don't forget

-oil filter housing gasket
-eccentric shaft sensor gasket
-valvetronic motor gasket

I personally don't think you should preemptively replace the eccentric shaft sensor itself until it actually fails. Its an expensive part that might have way more life left in it than youre giving it credit for.

Whether you do the water pump and thermostat now is up to you. If you have roadside assisstance/towing on your insurance I would just let it strand you one day and then take care of it, using the same logic as above. You might have 40-50k miles left in that thing.
I'm going to take your advice, thank you
Appreciate 0