E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > New 335i Owner, Rim Repair Advice Needed

09-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Go to Intrack Tires, they are a shop and would like to do that for you to make some cash
Haha, I live a few blocks away from intrack but I want it done cheaper, by someone in their spare time. I have a set of OEM 18" Style 5's that I plan on selling, so not trying to spend too much, I think intrack told me 75 per wheel,
      09-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #24
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
Haha, I live a few blocks away from intrack but I want it done cheaper, by someone in their spare time. I have a set of OEM 18" Style 5's that I plan on selling, so not trying to spend too much, I think intrack told me 75 per wheel,
I know what you mean... i was just trying to get some laughs
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:58 AM   #25
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Newb question for rim resto

Sorry for the newb question but I was wondering if anyone could explain how to fix curb damage on a mirror polished rim? I no if your painting your rims you use Bondo to fill the sanded areas which is then shaped and painted over to return it "as new look". But how do you fill the flat sanded down areas on a mirror polished rim? (Since your not painting over it and you can't sand Bondo to a mirror finish).
I've tried looking on YouTube but they just say sand the scratches etc down then polish but wouldn't that leave flat spots around the lip where you've sanded out the damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
Sorry for the newb question but I was wondering if anyone could explain how to fix curb damage on a mirror polished rim? I no if your painting your rims you use Bondo to fill the sanded areas which is then shaped and painted over to return it "as new look". But how do you fill the flat sanded down areas on a mirror polished rim? (Since your not painting over it and you can't sand Bondo to a mirror finish).
I've tried looking on YouTube but they just say sand the scratches etc down then polish but wouldn't that leave flat spots around the lip where you've sanded out the damage?
I believe you need a machine that takes off a slight layer of metal to have that polish look. Most good wheel repair shop will have that machine. Typically will finish it by clearing coating the wheel.

DIY will not be perfect but will probable look good from 10 feet away. Like you said there will be a flat spot of the area you sanding. I wouldn't use bond either.
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0