E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Noob - Help with e90 - really weird stuff happening

01-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
APG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Noob - Help with e90 - really weird stuff happening

Hey everyone. Hope you are well.
This is my first post on this site, so I’ll go straight in to asking for your help with some issues I currently have on my bmw e90 320i (2011)

First issue was the revs. The car typically sits at say 800 rpm on tick over or when coming to a stop.

However the car now is dropping revs when stopping dripping to a low point of maybe 400rpm - has stalled twice. It might also be relevant to say that since this started to happen the start stop function hasn’t operated.

I have tried with start stop on and start stop off to see if it makes a difference and this does not make a difference.

Second issue. Amber temperature light came on yesterday. I topped up the fluid and then we for a drive and for some reason the dipping revs almost stopped for a period of time. And then driving down the motorway some hours later again the amber temperature light came back on. Turning red soon after.

I stopped pretty soon after the red light and the coolant seemed to have gone, so I added water as that was all I had. - let the car cool and started my trip again. The amber light came back on. So pulled over again but fluid water levels seemed ok. I added a little more and got home.

Today I checked and the water level seems as it was last night.

Final issue. In car heating. The climate is on max 28 and blowing cold air only.

That’s it’s guys. Hope you can help me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Sounds like a failed water pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

The idle rpm dips could be related to something else like a vacuum leak. I had a similar issue with my idle typically when coming to a stop. It turned out to be a vacuum leak in one the hoses under my intake manifold. It took a while to figure that out as I replaced plugs , changed air filter, changed maf , cleaned vanos solenoids etc.

One thing to note I was getting lean codes (No engine light) when connected to my laptop via INPA

E90 n52 3.0L
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Hey everyone. Hope you are well.
This is my first post on this site, so I’ll go straight in to asking for your help with some issues I currently have on my bmw e90 320i (2011)

First issue was the revs. The car typically sits at say 800 rpm on tick over or when coming to a stop.

However the car now is dropping revs when stopping dripping to a low point of maybe 400rpm - has stalled twice. It might also be relevant to say that since this started to happen the start stop function hasn’t operated.

I have tried with start stop on and start stop off to see if it makes a difference and this does not make a difference.

Second issue. Amber temperature light came on yesterday. I topped up the fluid and then we for a drive and for some reason the dipping revs almost stopped for a period of time. And then driving down the motorway some hours later again the amber temperature light came back on. Turning red soon after.

I stopped pretty soon after the red light and the coolant seemed to have gone, so I added water as that was all I had. - let the car cool and started my trip again. The amber light came back on. So pulled over again but fluid water levels seemed ok. I added a little more and got home.

Today I checked and the water level seems as it was last night.

Final issue. In car heating. The climate is on max 28 and blowing cold air only.

That’s it’s guys. Hope you can help me.

hi welcome. Are you a DIY'er? Do you like to learn? if so you must purchase a good diagnostic cable for your bmw.

I purchase this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-DCAN-...72.m2749.l2649

It came with NCS expert and dummy along with bmw tools so it will come with everything you need to diagnose and code your car.

once you do that you will probably want to learn how to fix it. You will need to download ista. ista diagnoses your car and if it detects a fault, tells you how to trouble shooting it. Read all the stickys.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

If you believe thats out of your scope, because at one point i thought so too but i just keep trying until i got it thanks to helpful memembers on bimmerfest, there are way better scanners if you want to spend the $$ on it.

good luck! its been a wild ride for me
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

Sounds like the water pump is on it's way out and you might have a leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
APG
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Sounds like a failed water pump.
Can the water pump cause the revs to drop and the lack of heat inside the car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
APG
Registered
Rep

Also. If it was a water pump - why would that affect the start stop functionality ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Can the water pump cause the revs to drop and the lack of heat inside the car ?
somebody already told you to check for vaccum leaks. have you check that yet?

Quote:
Also. If it was a water pump - why would that affect the start stop functionality ?
first of all you are asking the wrong questions. you should be asking how do i test for the water pump.

fast forward to 10 mins for bleeding procedure. You want to hear the waterpump turn on at different speeds. if it doesnt, then you have found your problem.

if that turns out good time for the next question. thats trouble shooting sir.

btw do a google search it helps turns out answers to questions real fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Lack of heat - yes. Without circulation, there is no coolant flowing through the heater core.

Don't know about revs & stop/start, however in MB, stop/start works off of several parameters - engine temp being one of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
APG
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
The idle rpm dips could be related to something else like a vacuum leak. I had a similar issue with my idle typically when coming to a stop. It turned out to be a vacuum leak in one the hoses under my intake manifold. It took a while to figure that out as I replaced plugs , changed air filter, changed maf , cleaned vanos solenoids etc.

One thing to note I was getting lean codes (No engine light) when connected to my laptop via INPA

E90 n52 3.0L
How do I test for vacuum leak. ?
Appreciate 0