E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is repairing turbos a good idea? If so what to buy

09-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Then use Turbo Parts Canada. Same type of service, unsure of cost.
They charge 1400$ for rebuild and wastegate repair that's to much.

I would order the CHRA they sell though but I don't read feedback on them so I'm kinda of sketched buying from them.

The CHRA I was looking at purchasing twere the VTT ones ECS tuning has. VTT is a good brand I believe reading around the forums.

That brings me to my other question, all these CHRA offer or have a better/bigger compressor wheel. Is there any point HP wise. If I stay MHD Stage2+ it's not going to provide any benefits right?

EDIT: Well nvm VTT seems like it's 50/50...

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 09-30-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #24
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d AUDI RS6 AVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
If you are not changing the turbines on the cold or hot side...why would you need to re-balance it....or re-flow it?

Even if you did change them out, they come pre-balanced anyways.
If you fit a new core you don't need to balance it, if you strip and rebuild the old one you do. the flow test is for the waste gates, not for the flow of the compressor side. Also I worked for Garrett for 30yrs before they thought it would be cheaper to transfer their operation to the Czech republic...that was a fuck up for them.. but I'm sure you know more than me.

Last edited by cozzyman; 09-30-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
dpaul653.50
      09-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #25
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Even if I rebuilt them why would I need to balance if I'm re-using the same shaft and wheels? Anyways if I DIY I think CHRA would be a better idea. You basically have a new turbo that way without paying to much.

And I could buy waste gate repair kits and do that as well since I have a cheapo welder at home. Seems simple enough to do the fix.

But now I don't know... a big turbo S2000 wants to race me so doing around 650whp would be nice on this car... but it's a 335is I don't want to make it into a 5000$ N54 by putting a bunch of mods and "breaking" it.

Plus if I want to do 650whp that means in additions to new turbos, I need new inlets, new clutch and pretty sure I'm gonna need a custom tune right?
I'll will wait to see where this one takes you!! as far the turbo's go. if you do what you are proposing, it will not end well, I can assure you.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzyman View Post
if you do what you are proposing, it will not end well, I can assure you.
Why not? New CHRA is not good?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Why not? New CHRA is not good?
I was referring to you rebuilding them and the waste gates yourself, I do this for a living,, and have done for over 40 years, 30 of those at Garrett.
I think I will leave you with the experts that have no idea. but trust me, rebuilding turbo's without the correct kit is going to end in tears, and they will be yours. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to you rebuilding them and the waste gates yourself, I do this for a living,, and have done for over 40 years, 30 of those at Garrett.
I think I will leave you with the experts that have no idea. but trust me, rebuilding turbo's without the correct kit is going to end in tears, and they will be yours. good luck.
Not sure what's so difficult about the new wastegate arms install. Turbolabamerica shows how on youtube and it's really straightforward.

But I agree a rebuild from scratch might I am not comfortable with that but CHRA replacement looks easy and is what I'll do instead when my turbos stop boosting, or if they ever do. Right now it's just oil burning in exhaust.

EDIT: I see your comment about wastegate and flow testing. Why is flow testing required if the wastegate arm/flapper is reinstalled in the same position as old.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 09-30-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #29
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what's so difficult about the new wastegate arms install. Turbolabamerica shows how on youtube and it's really straightforward.

But I agree a rebuild from scratch might I am not comfortable with that but CHRA replacement looks easy and is what I'll do instead when my turbos stop boosting, or if they ever do. Right now it's just oil burning in exhaust.

EDIT: I see your comment about wastegate and flow testing. Why is flow testing required if the wastegate arm/flapper is reinstalled in the same position as old.
A turbo is a precision item, myself and team I work with have over 60k sterling in equipment, just for doing turbo's. now with all our experience, do you think we would invest that kind of money? if we didn't need that kit?. what you do is up to you, I am in the UK, so I'm not punting for business, I'm offering 40 years worth of advice... now do you get me. just because some tells you what you want to hear, doesn't make it good advice!!!
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #30
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A turbo is a precision item, myself and team I work with have over 60k sterling in equipment, just for doing turbo's. now with all our experience, do you think we would invest that kind of money? if we didn't need that kit?. what you do is up to you, I am in the UK, so I'm not punting for business, I'm offering 40 years worth of advice... now do you get me. just because some tells you what you want to hear, doesn't make it good advice!!!
Mate, I'm not doubting your skills or advice I just want to know why so I can learn myself as well so this naturally brings to questions from my side.

If the waste gate flapper, arm and bushing are all re-installed in the same position, why is flow testing required? All the searches I do on the subject no one mentions flow testing required, even the DIY on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #31
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Go away.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #32
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Hypothetical scenario : Let's say you are content with MHD Stage2+ and your turbos are shot. Blowing oil, no more boosting full rattle. What do you do or buy? Again, not looking at doing more WHP just looking at running FBO Stage2+ reliably.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:46 AM   #33
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Go away.
So you appreciate my posts, then tell me to go away. you Bi-Polar???
Appreciate 1
Sgop335648.00
      10-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #34
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
So you appreciate my posts, then tell me to go away. you Bi-Polar???
I appreciated your insight on Garrett; not conjecture regarding balancing already balanced CHRAs.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #35
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I appreciated your insight on Garrett; not conjecture regarding balancing already balanced CHRAs.
Wonderful, go back and read my posts. Ill now leave you all to talk unsubstantiated shit to each other….
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #36
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wonderful, go back and read my posts. Ill now leave you all to talk unsubstantiated shit to each other….
You still haven't replied to my reply I did to you so I can better understand...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You still haven't replied to my reply I did to you so I can better understand...
To be honest, I have tried to give you some insight, into what you are dealing with. It would appear the advise is falling on deaf ears!! if you don't understand what you are doing, leave well alone! or leave it to someone who does... bye.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #38
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I have tried to give you some insight, into what you are dealing with. It would appear the advise is falling on deaf ears!! if you don't understand what you are doing, leave well alone! or leave it to someone who does... bye.
Quote:
Yes you have given me advice but I just want to understand. I think you are confusing which reply I am talking about. Here is my last reply so you don't have to scroll back up: "If the waste gate flapper, arm and bushing are all re-installed in the same position, why is flow testing required? All the searches I do on the subject no one mentions flow testing required, even the DIY on this forum."

Or you haven't confused it which brings me to the following comment; I don't get why someone gets so fucking triggered when you just ask them back clarification and questions so you can understand and learn yourself or why such things function. Like what a shitty attitude it is to have and immature it is. You're probably older than me and act like this, I'm baffled. I'm not ignoring your advise I'm asking you to clarify it. If I tell you to go jump off a bridge are you going to do it like that without any arguments or explanation? Of course not. If I tell you to jump off the bridge because there is some lava coming your way or whatever then you might do it. Like how is it so hard to comprehend this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #39
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Don't know about flow testing but I do know it takes a lot more than $75k in equipment to properly balance a core... My company only balances compressor wheels (it is then re-balanced at operating speed when assembled) and our newest unbalance measurement machine was $200k. That's just for the cold side.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #40
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Hypothetical scenario : Let's say you are content with MHD Stage2+ and your turbos are shot. Blowing oil, no more boosting full rattle. What do you do or buy? Again, not looking at doing more WHP just looking at running FBO Stage2+ reliably.
In that case I would buy OE turbos and call it a day.
      10-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #41
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Yes you have given me advice but I just want to understand. I think you are confusing which reply I am talking about. Here is my last reply so you don't have to scroll back up: "If the waste gate flapper, arm and bushing are all re-installed in the same position, why is flow testing required? All the searches I do on the subject no one mentions flow testing required, even the DIY on this forum."

Or you haven't confused it which brings me to the following comment; I don't get why someone gets so fucking triggered when you just ask them back clarification and questions so you can understand and learn yourself or why such things function. Like what a shitty attitude it is to have and immature it is. You're probably older than me and act like this, I'm baffled. I'm not ignoring your advise I'm asking you to clarify it. If I tell you to go jump off a bridge are you going to do it like that without any arguments or explanation? Of course not. If I tell you to jump off the bridge because there is some lava coming your way or whatever then you might do it. Like how is it so hard to comprehend this?
You may have pissed him off
      10-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #42
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
In that case I would buy OE turbos and call it a day.
I'll see when I'm ready to do it.

I may honnestly try to rebuild and if that fails I'll buy OEs. I'll only be out around 350$ since I'll DIY.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 03:17 AM   #43
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
Somewhere between dinosaurs and 9/11 we had a snapped Garrett turbo shaft (diesel 2,5 I4)... since dad is a DIY w mechanical background he pushed our friend to do a new shaft... well they did not bother to balance anything, fit all in and there we went... it lasted some 100km and it snapped again :-) however there was plenty to learn from...
1st driving a turbo-diesel w/o turbo is a hilarious experience, it has funny sound and you are always waiting for a push that never comes, it is like a riding a tractor...
2nd there are no short-cuts when it comes to precise machinery :-)
To each his own...
      10-03-2019, 03:19 AM   #44
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Don't know about flow testing but I do know it takes a lot more than $75k in equipment to properly balance a core... My company only balances compressor wheels (it is then re-balanced at operating speed when assembled) and our newest unbalance measurement machine was $200k. That's just for the cold side.
We build the rigs and also hot test equipment rigs, so we can test longevity of new idea's we develop. the 75k is what it cost to build them... I take it your comany bought their test kit in.
Appreciate 0