E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is repairing turbos a good idea? If so what to buy

10-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #45
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hypothetical scenario : Let's say you are content with MHD Stage2+ and your turbos are shot. Blowing oil, no more boosting full rattle. What do you do or buy? Again, not looking at doing more WHP just looking at running FBO Stage2+ reliably.
Assuming you do the work yourself: OEM turbos or RB ones or the RB OEM CHRAs. Contact Rob Beck rob.rbturbo@gmail.com

VTT is shady AF.

If you are in there doing the work you might as well do silicone inlets and get a custom tune. $450 for a significant increase in power.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #46
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
I'll see when I'm ready to do it.

I may honnestly try to rebuild and if that fails I'll buy OEs. I'll only be out around 350$ since I'll DIY.
I guess if you are ok to possibly do the install twice then go this route.
Most people would want to just do it once and be done with it.
By no means is it a "quick" DIY job
      10-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #47
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
there are no short-cuts when it comes to precise machinery :-)
To each his own...
Guys...for the 15th time, we're talking about swapping in completely rebuilt and VSR balanced CHRAs here; this isn't the same as paying ~$50 for a Holset HX30 rebuild kit and slapping in a bunch of random new parts between the existing compressor and turbine wheels. If you can't understand the difference between one and the other please do some research before sounding anymore dopey than you've already let on to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #48
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Guys...for the 15th time, we're talking about swapping in completely rebuilt and VSR balanced CHRAs here; this isn't the same as paying ~$50 for a Holset HX30 rebuild kit and slapping in a bunch of random new parts between the existing compressor and turbine wheels. If you can't understand the difference between one and the other please do some research before sounding anymore dopey than you've already let on to be.
Honestly though now by rebuild in my recent post I was actually talking about the internals so like all the bearings and seals except the shaft and wheels. I read that if you mark all three nut, shaft and wheel that you should be fine.

But I mean if you all say it is ill advised I might get Rob Beck CHRA but I read 100% of theirs failed.... I know t's all trash talk/forum talk but I just can't find more reputable reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Assuming you do the work yourself: OEM turbos or RB ones or the RB OEM CHRAs. Contact Rob Beck rob.rbturbo@gmail.com

VTT is shady AF.

If you are in there doing the work you might as well do silicone inlets and get a custom tune. $450 for a significant increase in power.
So by getting inlets on their own you can get a massive increase without having to upgrade the outlets?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #49
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

So by getting inlets on their own you can get a massive increase without having to upgrade the outlets?
Would not dare venturing an opinion about rebuilding or not rebuilding a turbo having paged through this cluster fuck of a thread.

However, to address the question about inlets and outlets, the consensus opinion is that inlets matter a lot more than outlets at lower power levels, although you can always find someone who disagrees. Of course, if you want to get the most out of any mod, you will need to tune for it. That means a custom, not an off-the-shelf tune.

Edit: should have added, so do just as Torgus suggested.

Last edited by dpaul; 10-03-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #50
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Significant, not massive, and only if tuned for them. Unless things have changed you need a custom tune to run inlets.

Outlet's have gains no doubt but inlets have the larger gains and are not going to melt. I would only do outlets on upgraded turbos personally. Yes I know there are gains on stock turbos but they are more pronounced on upgraded twins.

I still vote get two CHRAs from RB as the low cost solution to getting back up and running. Or roll the dice with the cast China offerings and get a decent upgrade. You you want to drop coin the new RB Game Finishers look awesome and great results so far.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #51
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Significant, not massive, and only if tuned for them. Unless things have changed you need a custom tune to run inlets.

Outlet's have gains no doubt but inlets have the larger gains and are not going to melt. I would only do outlets on upgraded turbos personally. Yes I know there are gains on stock turbos but they are more pronounced on upgraded twins.

I still vote get two CHRAs from RB as the low cost solution to getting back up and running. Or roll the dice with the cast China offerings and get a decent upgrade. You you want to drop coin the new RB Game Finishers look awesome and great results so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Would not dare venturing an opinion about rebuilding or not rebuilding a turbo having paged through this cluster fuck of a thread.

However, to address the question about inlets and outlets, the consensus opinion is that inlets matter a lot more than outlets at lower power levels, although you can always find someone who disagrees. Of course, if you want to get the most out of any mod, you will need to tune for it. That means a custom, not an off-the-shelf tune.

Edit: should have added, so do just as Torgus suggested.
Okay I discussed with Rob from RB and we concluded no inlets since I only do 16 PSI at most. Personally I don't like having a custom tune, I like how MHD is safe and that I can switch between maps just like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #52
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Okay I discussed with Rob from RB and we concluded no inlets since I only do 16 PSI at most. Personally I don't like having a custom tune, I like how MHD is safe and that I can switch between maps just like that.
RB obviously knows what he is doing, so fine. However, that last part makes zero sense. A custom tune is just another 'map". You're going to flash the custom tune with MHD and you can still change to any other tune (map) any time you want. Safety is a matter of discussing your goals with your tuner and making sure they are reasonable goals for the engine mods you have installed. Assuming your tuner is a professional and not just some guy who learned how to use TunerPro last week. No off-the-shelf tune will be optimal for your vehicle or any ones elses.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      10-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #53
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
RB obviously knows what he is doing, so fine. However, that last part makes zero sense. A custom tune is just another 'map". You're going to flash the custom tune with MHD and you can still change to any other tune (map) any time you want. Safety is a matter of discussing your goals with your tuner and making sure they are reasonable goals for the engine mods you have installed. Assuming your tuner is a professional and not just some guy who learned how to use TunerPro last week. No off-the-shelf tune will be optimal for your vehicle or any ones elses.
Sorry I meant more in the tune's options rather than the actual map. Like burples settings and all that, shift bog deletes etc. Is that still available or only MHD?

As for safety I agree, but that's the thing about it, you have to find someone good. And even the best I've read have blown engines. While MHD I haven't read a whole lot of blown engines... or any for that matter on good maintained cars. And I am pretty content with current power.

When times come to sell the car I think I'll be able to sell it better than saying I have upgraded this, upgraded that as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #54
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry I meant more in the tune's options rather than the actual map. Like burples settings and all that, shift bog deletes etc. Is that still available or only MHD?

As for safety I agree, but that's the thing about it, you have to find someone good. And even the best I've read have blown engines. While MHD I haven't read a whole lot of blown engines... or any for that matter on good maintained cars. And I am pretty content with current power.

When times come to sell the car I think I'll be able to sell it better than saying I have upgraded this, upgraded that as well.
If you are happy with the power than just get the replacements and keep everything as is. If you like it don't mess with it then.

It takes 30 minutes more labor to install aftermarket inlets vs. the stock inlets and they are chap as is a tune so that is why I suggested it but it will add $500 to your bill at the end of the day and if you don't want the extra power than no reason to do it.

Make sure your waste gates are upgraded/fixed and you are not reusing the stock ones.
Appreciate 1